+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Useing a comercial water source in residential

Post Likes

Useing a comercial water source in residential

I went through hvac/r schooling over 10 years ago. I realized quickly in my location focusing on the sheetmetal side (duct work) was more profitable for me. I still do occasional residential servicing for friends and family but I've lost a lot of my schooling and I'm looking for a little specific info.

I went to a building demo and got a brand new water source heat pump for very inexpensive. the foreclosed house I bought has a 20 year old and sickly 3 ton air source heat pump in it. I figure rent and excavated the back yard and put it in.
    The unit is a 2.8 ton 460/3 phase indoor unit. I have done a month of research and have a clear idea of the magnitude of work to get this unit running but I still cand find some specific info.

They make this unit in a 230/1 phase. My question is if I replace the compressor, contactor and fan motor as well as a off the shelf 120 to 24v transformer for the board and other controls will that work. And would I be better off buying a 3 ton compressor rather than a more exspensive 2.8 ton as long as they are both scroll type and of course 410a.

Post Likes
    Probably be cheaper just to get the proper unit
    UA Proud

"Phfft! Facts. You can use them to prove anything." Homer Simpson

Post Likes
    I don't see why it wouldn't work. Most nominal 3 ton units these days have a 32-34kbtu compressor in them for efficiencies sake.

Post Likes
    As per forum rules we can't discuse numbers but I can replace these components for about 1/5 or less than a new one.

Post Likes
    Another solution would be to install a VFD. They make some that are designed to take 230/1/60 and convert it into 460/3/60. Its not the most efficient solution but it would probably make for an easier install.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in