Thread: >>READ THIS FIRST<< NO DIY? Why NOT??

Post Likes

Angry >>READ THIS FIRST<< NO DIY? Why NOT??

You would have to understand and review what HVAC-Talk.com is all about.
    First you would have to read the Forum Rules to gain understanding of the site as you promised when you joined. If you haven’t just yet, please do so now. I’ll patiently wait until you return.

The first part of the rules states the following;

The purpose of HVAC-Talk.com is to provide a fun meeting and learning place for people with an interest in the HVAC/R Industry. Note that while all are welcome, our primary interest is in serving the HVAC Pro and the related industry.

Caution - HVAC-Talk.com is a moderated site. Moderators will delete and edit posts in an effort to keep the site free of DIY, flame wars, insults, crude language, advertising and off-topic replies. Please be polite, professional and helpful in your replies.

Secondly you would need to understand what DIY is.

DIY stands for Do-It-Yourself. We all do it whether it is repairing our leaking faucet or building your own decking. It’s simply a fact of life but why can’t this site please tell me how to heat my house when my kids are freezing or tell me how to fix something easy like wiring in my new store bought thermostat from the local hardware store?

While we (the membership of this site) are happy to chat with you about any topic there are just too many factors we must consider before giving advice. Safety and legality are the first things prevalent. The site Moderators are charged with removing DIY which shows reasonable care on our part to keep you safe so you or your next of kin don’t send your lawyer to knock on our door. Yes, we show reasonable care to disallow DIY so save your Lawyers time and effort.

Let’s say, for example, you ask us why you may be having trouble lighting your water heater or furnace. You are mechanically able and this seems like an easy task but it just won’t light. So, the membership carefully walks you through all the steps to check first before striking that match. You follow these directions and everything is fine. You don’t have to call a contractor so you save money. Here is where I will show you another part of our rules.

This site is for industry professionals and folks seeking HVAC/R advice and knowledge. Please do not ask for step by step instructions on purchasing, installing or repairing your own equipment. This is our job and our livelihood. We are generous, but not to a fault.

That’s right, it is our livelihood and how we feed our families. Does your Doctor tell your Pharmacist what prescription to give you without an appointment and having you pay an office visit? That’s simple enough.

OK, now let’s think about the second area of concern, safety. Why is it a concern? We told you how and you did it and everything is fine, right? Well, yes, but not exactly. This is a public forum on the internet. This information will be on this site forever and can be found by others that have similar issues but are either not as mechanically inclined as you or there system is just a little different. This is where their safety comes into play. I’m sure we’ve all seen the six o’clock news showing a house burning or completely turned into a pile of splinters. Couldn’t happen to me, right? Wrong!

It happens every day to those without training or trying to save a little cash. Although we don’t know you or what you may do for a living we here are trained to prevent accidents from happening and we are genuinely concerned about you and your family’s safety. So please don’t ask us DIY questions.

The membership has a little saying that goes something like this. If I fix it for you it will cost $ this much. If you try to fix it first it will cost you $$$ that much more. One day a professional will have to look at your system for one reason or another. Why not ask for a tune up before you have an issue one cold night and have to pay us overtime to fix a mess? Easy for us and very smart for you.

Lastly, pricing is not allowed so please don't put pricing in your posts. Also, links to DIY or online sales sites are not allowed.

Thanks for your time.

The HVAC-Talk Membership
    Last edited by Special-K; 03-18-2024 at 03:24 PM.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in