+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Buying parts (no license)

Post Likes

Buying parts (no license)

Hi, am graduating from an hvac program soon and was wondering how I can buy parts without having my licence yet? I have epa cert.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rp13 View Post
    Hi, am graduating from an hvac program soon and was wondering how I can buy parts without having my licence yet? I have epa cert.
    Depends on the supply house. Some places, you have to at least a cash account, to purchase anything. And they won't open the account without a license, not even for cash.

Sent from my Note3, using, Crapatalk
    "If you can’t describe what you are doing as a process, you don’t know what you are doing." ~ W. Edwards Deming

All those who wander..are not lost.

Do NOT..mistake my kindness for weakness.

The early bird may get the worm..but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Post Likes
    Are you going to be working for a company? Or jump out on your own?
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    EPA cert means you can purchase, sell & use refrigerant and gauges. It doesnt mean you have any idea what your doing. Graduating from an HVAC Program generally means you know even less. Sorry just being truthful. Get a job as a helper or better yet get a job with a Union Shop and go thru the apprenticeship program, put your time in the field that's needed before touching anything.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    EPA cert means you can purchase, sell & use refrigerant and gauges. It doesnt mean you have any idea what your doing. Graduating from an HVAC Program generally means you know even less. Sorry just being truthful. Get a job as a helper or better yet get a job with a Union Shop and go thru the apprenticeship program, put your time in the field that's needed before touching anything.
    THIS ^^^^^

Sadly... these trade schools promote their classes as magic... they are NOT!

You need a few years in the field before you are safe enough to do the work.

There is a reason the license requires 4-5-6 years experience...

Not busting you... just trying to save you from some really messy situations!
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

6. Likes lkapigian liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Excellent!…more job security.

8. Likes lkapigian, mr.charles, 2sac liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Four months online, don't even have to get your hands dirty

The Ashworth College online HVAC training program helps you prepare for a career in Heating and Air Conditioning. Our HVAC courses cover the latest heating and air conditioning procedures and techniques. Also included is a $75 voucher for the ESCO Institute 608 Certification Exam as well as the 12 page EPA section 608 study Guide that will prepare you for section 608 certification. Start anytime, study at your own pace and graduate in as few as 4 months.

Post Likes
    I'm working in the industry, but not strict heating and cooling. I have someone that wants me to take care of their rental properties. Thanks

Post Likes
    I worked at as a helper before I came here. I know just as much as my friend that is about to be finished with his apprenticeship.

Post Likes
    It doesn't take 4 years to learn basic troubleshooting. Obviously I don't know everything but I have been able to figure out the few calls I have been on. I'm not planning on starting my own company, just friends and family is what I am asking for.

Post Likes
    Yes... one can pick up some VERY BASIC stuff easily...

However...

Did you know that once you touch a system... you are 100% responsible for ANY damage it does to property and life?
    If you replace the thermostat batteries... and 3 months later the system causes a case of CO (carbon monoxide poisoning)... YOU are responsible.

And if you do not have a license nor liability insurance...
    You are probably going to jail!

Think it over carefully...
    You are biting off a larger chunk than you realize.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    And you can't judge schools on just a handful YOU have heard of. My program is 4 hours a day for two years. The state I am in accepts credits from my school towards the apprentice program because we are actually accredited. I have worked my a$$ off to get the grades I got here and for you to say that I know less really pissed me off.

Post Likes
    Yes. Safety was a very big part of my program. And I am only going to accept calls that I know I can handle.

Post Likes
    It doesn't take 4 years to learn basic troubleshooting.
    No it takes a life time!

Obviously I don't know everything .
    The really hard part is knowing when to say when.

Once money changes hands or you barter for services you own it and are responsible.

17. Likes kamersoutdoor liked this post.
    Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    That is a tricky one. If it were me I would start with

Oh wait - what forum is this?

Never mind. See if you can get your post-count up enough to Turn-Pro here. Then I can help you. Or try to anyway. <g>

PHM
    --------

It doesn't take 4 years to learn basic troubleshooting. Obviously I don't know everything but I have been able to figure out the few calls I have been on. I'm not planning on starting my own company, just friends and family is what I am asking for.
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

19. Likes lkapigian liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Read it and remember it

http://www.nytimes.com/1994/09/20/ob...star-dies.html

The tech that installed it was convicted and served 6months before it was overuled, the owner of the company................

No Time

Post Likes
    Yes. Safety was a very big part of my program. And I am only going to accept calls that I know I can handle.
    How will you be pulling a business license and obtaining insurance?
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    That is the attitude of the perpetually mediocre. To be truly good you will have to abandon it. You must instead always push for those calls which you cannot handle - because only then will you be forced to rise higher than you are and to do More than you can do. If you are comfortable - you're just treading water.

PHM
    --------

. . . I am only going to accept calls that I know I can handle.
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Yes... one can pick up some VERY BASIC stuff easily...

However...

Did you know that once you touch a system... you are 100% responsible for ANY damage it does to property and life?
    If you replace the thermostat batteries... and 3 months later the system causes a case of CO (carbon monoxide poisoning)... YOU are responsible.

And if you do not have a license nor liability insurance...
    You are probably going to jail!

Think it over carefully...
    You are biting off a larger chunk than you realize.
    After five years I can confidently say it's almost always basic. Tedious and boring...to the point where you're looking hoping for something different and weird.

Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Read it and remember it

http://www.nytimes.com/1994/09/20/ob...star-dies.html

The tech that installed it was convicted and served 6months before it was overuled, the owner of the company................

No Time
    Installed what? What did he do...vent it inside? I often hear these dramatic claims of liability like GA's above, but never see any documentation or details. 100% liable for the entire system after changing tstat batteries...for life? For a year? I don't feel responsible after mere weeks of proper operation. What law or document makes me responsible and for what period of time?

If I change the batteries in AC season am I liable for the furnace in heating? If you do a PM on a furnace, including CA, early in the season; are you liable for a blocked flue late in the season. I mean...negligence is just that and I accept that risk, knowing that I wouldn't do anything gross or alter a system design. But changing a part that needs to be changed literally puts someone's life in my hands? Jesus...how many lives am I responsible for now? Where does it end?

Seems like so much drama...or incredibly incompetent lawyers
    Is the Religious Right to blame for Christianity's decline?

They argued that, as the Religious Right became increasingly visible and militant, it became associated with Christianity itself. And if being a Christian meant being associated with the likes of Jerry Falwell, many people—especially political moderates and liberals—decided to simply stop identifying as Christians altogether.

http://www.theamericanconservative.c...nitys-decline/

24. Likes rp13 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hurtinhvac View Post
    After five years I can confidently say it's almost always basic. Tedious and boring...to the point where you're looking hoping for something different and weird.

Installed what? What did he do...vent it inside? I often hear these dramatic claims of liability like GA's above, but never see any documentation or details. 100% liable for the entire system after changing tstat batteries...for life? For a year? I don't feel responsible after mere weeks of proper operation. What law or document makes me responsible and for what period of time?

If I change the batteries in AC season am I liable for the furnace in heating? If you do a PM on a furnace, including CA, early in the season; are you liable for a blocked flue late in the season. I mean...negligence is just that and I accept that risk, knowing that I wouldn't do anything gross or alter a system design. But changing a part that needs to be changed literally puts someone's life in my hands? Jesus...how many lives am I responsible for now? Where does it end?

Seems like so much drama...or incredibly incompetent lawyers
    He was pulled off the job before completing the exhaust vent. Later someone (no one knows who) powered it up, turned on the gas and left.

This building was zoned as a Pool house not guest quarters.

The only one to serve any jail time was the original tech, His conviction was overturned months later but too late the damage was done.

Property owner, Pool Company owner, anyone else evolved had the means for a legal defense except the low man on the totem pole.

26. Likes ga-hvac-tech liked this post.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in