Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

goodman heatpump compressor making loud buzzing noise

I have a 16 seer Goodman heat pump with a scroll compressor. Frequently (not every time), before the fan kicks on, in heating mode, the compressor sounds like a high voltage transformer (loud buzz). Making an awful sound that everyone in the house can clearly hear as well as the neighbors.

The sound continues while the fan is turning and the compressor is operating. When it turns off, after a heating cycle, the sound quits (as expected).

Since the fan is not operating at the time when the buzzing sound starts, and seems to have no issue starting, I concluded it is not the fan.

The buzzing sound does not happen in cooling mode.

The temperature outside is about 60 degrees, the humidity is low and the pressure is high.

Any idea what could be the trouble here?

Post Likes
    Have you changed your indoor air filter and are you using pleated paper filters?

Post Likes
    Yes, they are changed every 3 months. Last changed Nov 2nd of this year.

Not sure where you are going with this...but it's the outdoor unit that is making the awful buzzing noise.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jim69 View Post
    I have a 16 seer Goodman heat pump with a scroll compressor. Frequently (not every time), before the fan kicks on, in heating mode, the compressor sounds like a high voltage transformer (loud buzz). Making an awful sound that everyone in the house can clearly hear as well as the neighbors.

The sound continues while the fan is turning and the compressor is operating. When it turns off, after a heating cycle, the sound quits (as expected).

Since the fan is not operating at the time when the buzzing sound starts, and seems to have no issue starting, I concluded it is not the fan.

The temperature outside is about 60 degrees, the humidity is low and the pressure is high.

The problem will be an easy one for a technician. This site does not provide DIY advice, as is stated at the top of the page.
    AOP Rules: Rules For Equipment Owners.

Free online load calculator: http://www.loadcalc.net/

There = not here. Their = possessive pronoun. They're = they are
    It's = contraction of it is. Its = the possessive form of it
    Too = also. To = expressing motion. Two = 2
    Then = after that, next. Than = indicates a comparison.
    Questions should end with a question mark "?" Statements end with a period "."

Post Likes
    everyone tells me that but after 2 different "professional technicians" I still have the buzzing sound. What I am looking for is someone to tell me what the issue may be so I can bring in a 3rd technician to fix it.

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=jim69;21930821]everyone tells me that but after 2 different "professional technicians" I still have the buzzing sound. What I am looking for is someone to tell me what the issue may be so I can bring in a 3rd technician to fix it.[/QUO

Heat mode?

Post Likes
    The fan should come on the same time as the compressor.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by martyinlincoln View Post
    The fan should come on the same time as the compressor.
    Even in defrost?

Post Likes
    everyone tells me that but after 2 different "professional technicians" I still have the buzzing sound. What I am looking for is someone to tell me what the issue may be so I can bring in a 3rd technician to fix it.
    You've gotten parts changers not tecnicians keep looking there few and far between. When you find one take care of them

Post Likes
    the 2nd tech that came in was a certified goodman field troubleshooter. Works on all major issues for field warranty issues for goodman in the eastern 1/3rd of Eastern PA. Of course he came out in the spring and the heat was no longer coming on any more...when I called him back in the fall when the buzzing started, he was too busy to ever make the time for me. And he only lives about 3/4 of a mile from my house.

Yes this is heat mode...and the buzzing starts before the fan by 30 seconds or so. it was 60 degrees out...not sure what kind of defrosting it would need considering it was only running for 10 minutes before shutting off.

To clarify what I said earlier...the buzzing starts before the fan starts (usually). The fan and the compressor may start at the same time...but something is starting before the fan starts by 30 seconds or so.

I was told this could be the defrost cycle of the outdoor unit and that the unit was likely staying in defrost mode even while the compressor was running. Not sure of this...just speculation from the first tech that couldn't solve the issue.

Post Likes
    Just so I can be clear on this boys - can the condensing unit even Start "still in defrost mode" ?

PHM
    --------

the 2nd tech that came in was a certified goodman field troubleshooter. Works on all major issues for field warranty issues for goodman in the eastern 1/3rd of Eastern PA. Of course he came out in the spring and the heat was no longer coming on any more...when I called him back in the fall when the buzzing started, he was too busy to ever make the time for me. And he only lives about 3/4 of a mile from my house.

Yes this is heat mode...and the buzzing starts before the fan by 30 seconds or so. it was 60 degrees out...not sure what kind of defrosting it would need considering it was only running for 10 minutes before shutting off.

To clarify what I said earlier...the buzzing starts before the fan starts (usually). The fan and the compressor may start at the same time...but something is starting before the fan starts by 30 seconds or so.

I was told this could be the defrost cycle of the outdoor unit and that the unit was likely staying in defrost mode even while the compressor was running. Not sure of this...just speculation from the first tech that couldn't solve the issue.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    "does not happen in cooling mode" ?

OK; so that eliminates a few things for me. And it would certainly seem to point towards components which are only in use during the heating mode.

PHM
    --------

PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    just hums along in cooling mode in the summer with no issues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast