Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: goodman heatpump compressor making loud buzzing noise

Post Likes

goodman heatpump compressor making loud buzzing noise

I have a 16 seer Goodman heat pump with a scroll compressor. Frequently (not every time), before the fan kicks on, in heating mode, the compressor sounds like a high voltage transformer (loud buzz). Making an awful sound that everyone in the house can clearly hear as well as the neighbors.

The sound continues while the fan is turning and the compressor is operating. When it turns off, after a heating cycle, the sound quits (as expected).

Since the fan is not operating at the time when the buzzing sound starts, and seems to have no issue starting, I concluded it is not the fan.

The buzzing sound does not happen in cooling mode.

The temperature outside is about 60 degrees, the humidity is low and the pressure is high.

Any idea what could be the trouble here?

Post Likes
    Have you changed your indoor air filter and are you using pleated paper filters?

Post Likes
    Yes, they are changed every 3 months. Last changed Nov 2nd of this year.

Not sure where you are going with this...but it's the outdoor unit that is making the awful buzzing noise.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jim69 View Post
    I have a 16 seer Goodman heat pump with a scroll compressor. Frequently (not every time), before the fan kicks on, in heating mode, the compressor sounds like a high voltage transformer (loud buzz). Making an awful sound that everyone in the house can clearly hear as well as the neighbors.

The sound continues while the fan is turning and the compressor is operating. When it turns off, after a heating cycle, the sound quits (as expected).

Since the fan is not operating at the time when the buzzing sound starts, and seems to have no issue starting, I concluded it is not the fan.

The temperature outside is about 60 degrees, the humidity is low and the pressure is high.

The problem will be an easy one for a technician. This site does not provide DIY advice, as is stated at the top of the page.
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Post Likes
    everyone tells me that but after 2 different "professional technicians" I still have the buzzing sound. What I am looking for is someone to tell me what the issue may be so I can bring in a 3rd technician to fix it.

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=jim69;21930821]everyone tells me that but after 2 different "professional technicians" I still have the buzzing sound. What I am looking for is someone to tell me what the issue may be so I can bring in a 3rd technician to fix it.[/QUO

Heat mode?

Post Likes
    The fan should come on the same time as the compressor.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by martyinlincoln View Post
    The fan should come on the same time as the compressor.
    Even in defrost?

Post Likes
    everyone tells me that but after 2 different "professional technicians" I still have the buzzing sound. What I am looking for is someone to tell me what the issue may be so I can bring in a 3rd technician to fix it.
    You've gotten parts changers not tecnicians keep looking there few and far between. When you find one take care of them

Post Likes
    the 2nd tech that came in was a certified goodman field troubleshooter. Works on all major issues for field warranty issues for goodman in the eastern 1/3rd of Eastern PA. Of course he came out in the spring and the heat was no longer coming on any more...when I called him back in the fall when the buzzing started, he was too busy to ever make the time for me. And he only lives about 3/4 of a mile from my house.

Yes this is heat mode...and the buzzing starts before the fan by 30 seconds or so. it was 60 degrees out...not sure what kind of defrosting it would need considering it was only running for 10 minutes before shutting off.

To clarify what I said earlier...the buzzing starts before the fan starts (usually). The fan and the compressor may start at the same time...but something is starting before the fan starts by 30 seconds or so.

I was told this could be the defrost cycle of the outdoor unit and that the unit was likely staying in defrost mode even while the compressor was running. Not sure of this...just speculation from the first tech that couldn't solve the issue.

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    Just so I can be clear on this boys - can the condensing unit even Start "still in defrost mode" ?

PHM
    --------

the 2nd tech that came in was a certified goodman field troubleshooter. Works on all major issues for field warranty issues for goodman in the eastern 1/3rd of Eastern PA. Of course he came out in the spring and the heat was no longer coming on any more...when I called him back in the fall when the buzzing started, he was too busy to ever make the time for me. And he only lives about 3/4 of a mile from my house.

Yes this is heat mode...and the buzzing starts before the fan by 30 seconds or so. it was 60 degrees out...not sure what kind of defrosting it would need considering it was only running for 10 minutes before shutting off.

To clarify what I said earlier...the buzzing starts before the fan starts (usually). The fan and the compressor may start at the same time...but something is starting before the fan starts by 30 seconds or so.

I was told this could be the defrost cycle of the outdoor unit and that the unit was likely staying in defrost mode even while the compressor was running. Not sure of this...just speculation from the first tech that couldn't solve the issue.
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    "does not happen in cooling mode" ?

OK; so that eliminates a few things for me. And it would certainly seem to point towards components which are only in use during the heating mode.

PHM
    --------

PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    just hums along in cooling mode in the summer with no issues.

Post Likes
    The noise be coming from outside...but in heat mode the indoor coil is the outdoor coil where the heat is rejected...and your indoor blower (now the condenser fan motor) should be coming on right away or damn quick when the system starts. Otherwise the head pressure will climb thru the roof - especially on a 60 degree day. And you're bound to hear some noise. Maybe it's a variable speed blower and you just don't notice it coming on until it ramps up?

Indoor airflow is a chief concern here...hence the question about the filter. Or the health of your blower.

Goose the stat by two degrees to make it come on and go outside - if it's in defrost the outdoor fan should not be running. If it is in defrost on a warm day it should be fairly easy for a decent tech to diagnose.
    Is the Religious Right to blame for Christianity's decline?

They argued that, as the Religious Right became increasingly visible and militant, it became associated with Christianity itself. And if being a Christian meant being associated with the likes of Jerry Falwell, many people—especially political moderates and liberals—decided to simply stop identifying as Christians altogether.

http://www.theamericanconservative.c...nitys-decline/

Post Likes
    i have not been discussing the indoor unit at all. The indoor fan/blower seems to coincide with the activity with the outdoor unit. My concern isn't the indoor unit, as the blower seems to be operating normally.

One clue that seems to be overlooked....this doesn't happen all the time. Sometimes, in heat mode, the fan starts up and hums along just fine.

So what does it sound like if the outdoor unit is in defrost mode?

Post Likes
    You need to tell the contractor to send their A game or get a different contractor. If you paid them for a trip and a diagnostic they still owe it to you.

The outdoor fan should regularly...as in always come on with the compressor. If it's even possible for it to be in the middle of a defrost cycle when it starts, it should be an extremely rare occurrence - not a regular one. Especially in warmer temps.

They argued that, as the Religious Right became increasingly visible and militant, it became associated with Christianity itself. And if being a Christian meant being associated with the likes of Jerry Falwell, many people—especially political moderates and liberals—decided to simply stop identifying as Christians altogether.

Post Likes
    translating what you just said...you think (albeit it shouldn't happen) that the unit, starts in defrost mode on occassion, and that could be the source of the "buzzing" that runs along with the compressor?

Post Likes
    Not really - I'm thinking the outdoor fan is not coming on when it should.

Three things should happen in a defrost cycle: The reversing valve shifts to cooling mode to make the outdoor coil the high side (warmer) again, the outdoor fan stops to help the coil get even hotter and the indoor electric heat strips come on to help temper the supply air while it's in cooling mode.

I think your outdoor fan is being inappropriately deenergized and it should not be a head scratcher for most technicians. Either you are incredibly unlucky on the technician front or you might be attempting to take matters into your own hand. I personally don't care as long as you don't get hurt - but I can't go much further per site rules.

Post Likes
    i understand.

With the buzzing starting before the fan activates just about every time it starts up, it really concerns me. I am not a tech and really have no desire to diagnose something like this, or trying to replace parts. I am certainly not qualified and cannot afford for it to be completely offline. I just wish the techs I hired spent half as much time researching this issue as I have.

There is no reason that this unit should be going in to defrost as frequently as I think it is. My thought is that it is going into defrost and not coming out of it. I can either spend $250 on another tech or just replace the junk in my back yard or drop another $6k and just replace the whole heating unit.

After all this has been discussed, I still don't have a good feel for what the source of the buzzing sound (high voltage transformer sound).

Another point...I don't think the noise is from the Fan. It sounds like it's coming from deeper (lower) in the outdoor unit.

Anyway, thank you for all your help here.

Post Likes
    You might try the contractor locator map to see if a member works in your area. Also, try asking trusted sources who they use for their HVAC. The larger the shop, the fancier the service truck, the more they advertise...the more likely they are incompetent charlatans.

Good luck...and Happy Holidays.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in