Thread: Cleveland Range

In a kitchen with my head stuck in an oven
    Post Likes

Cleveland Range

I readily admit my naivety in what leads to business decisions. My twenty years in the military kept me ignorant of that financial (fiscal) stuff.

I entered the civilian sector that way in '98 and, thus, got into a second career of fixing restaurant equipment with a great company. Two years later, the owner of our company gave in and we got bought by an internationally-known company. Within a year, most of our office staff was let go since most of their duties were passed to a newly-established, national center. As a technician, I rode that out for twelve years until I had enough, so fire them as my employer. I left there after the business was run into the ground by bean-counters that were beginning to question my monthly bean-count.

One of the big names bearing their logo on the equipment that I (we) have worked on is Cleveland Range. They're somewhat of a mainstay of what we do. I've FIXED MUCH of their stuff, but generally do so due to poor maintenance and upkeep. Someone here recently wanted advice on a quality, boiler-based steamer that would also supply to steam kettles. That answer was easy. Go with a Cleveland.

Manitowoc scooped up Cleveland Range with their acquisition of Enodis in 2008. FWIW, Middleby does the same thing and remains the largest food equipment conglomerate.

Manitowoc expanded Cleveland operations in 2012:
    http://www.cleveland.com/business/in..._add_jobs.html
    So, Cleveland was doing well. I was glad to hear it. They DO build good stuff.

Fast-forward about three years later (two months ago) and...Manitowoc is closing the place. Cleveland Range. Collinworth OH. In business there since 1847. 250 or so jobs lost...with many having been there most of their lives:
    http://www.crainscleveland.com/artic...leveland-plant
    I really have no point to this except to say that the bean-counters that ultimately made this decision outta take a look at where their bread-n-butter came from. Lotsa folks really like their bread-n-butter.

"You never know what others don't know." -

If I can't laugh at myself...then I'll laugh at YOU! -

Post Likes
    I heard they were going to start building them in Mexico.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Manitowoc Ice Machines are ALL made in Mexico and China now.

Manitowoc is really ****ing everything up.

Post Likes
    After Mani bought Enodis, they closed the Garland facility in Freeland, PA, and moved production of everything to Canada.