In a kitchen with my head stuck in an oven
    Post Likes

Cool Beacon II Controls/ Mismatched System

I was performing a refrigeration PM (all equipment) at a restaurant (major fast food chain) when I found a problem with their W/I cooler. Obvious floodback to compressor where the suction lines, suction filter drier, accumulator and compressor all encapsulated with ice. Unit IS cooling, then cycling accordingly. When cycling on, compressor makes a horrible racket for a few seconds as it establishes some pressure differential.

Controls are the Beacon II with the display and control board mounted in the evaporator box. Condenser is roof mounted. Ambient temp about 75 degrees.

Here's the numbers:

Heatcraft Evaporator
    Mod: ADT052BHB2N6MK
    Sr#: D05J07587

Heatcraft Condenser
    Mod: BZS035L6CMCDAL
    Sr#: T05L01059

Copeland Compressor
    Mod: ZF11K4E-TF5-231
    Sr#: 05K086944G

Pressures upon cycling off: Discharge = 245 psi (okayish) Suction (@ line to condenser connection on roof) = 27 psi (not good). Line temp @ evaporator outlet near Beacon's suction temp sensor around 0 degrees (ooooh).

My experience level? Until today, I've never troubleshot or even encountered this Beacon control system. My occupation is not exclusively refrigeration , but is ALL cooking, refrigeration & warewashing in the hospitality venues. Ten years at it, but only six addressing refrigeration. Prior to this line of work, twenty years USMC in mostly mobile electric power plants and cursory knowledge of AC to instruct it to A school kids out of boot camp.

Consulted Heatcraft. No model or serial numbers requested, nor divulged. They had me press MONITOR button five times to read evaporator suction pressure. Displayed SCP as 16" (picture that as an LED displayed reading). To me, that reads as sixteen inches. I told him the pressure is sixteen inches. From that, we determined the pressure transducer is bad since the reading is an extremely low pressure compared to actual I'd read as 27 psi, therefore is causing the Beacon board to tell the electronic expansion valve (EEV)to dump the juice into the evaporator generously. The transducer may be replaced under Heatcraft's three year warranty on Beacon components. I wasn't told to OHM the transducer to test it, though I do like to verify a problem through further testing. Therefore we shall "assume" the board is okay. I also explained the compressor noise. Generally any non-typical noise from a compressor indicates imminent failure. YES, Copeland's five year warranty coverage will do it.

From posts I've read here (never been here before until this evening), typical advice is to not over think the problem (the KISS rule).

However, I can't help myself.

My quandry:

I have a set of questions...then one question:

First: My set of questions. I've only briefly scanned the online PDF manual on the Beacon II this evening. With that technology, I have to wonder why the controller didn't display an alarm, an error code (like...low suction pressure) or something. Did I misinterpret the displayed reading? Does " (quotation mark thingy) mean something else on the display other than inches? I saw sixteen INCHES. I told the Heatcraft guy SIXTEEN INCHES. The controller's displayed suction temp (pressed MONITOR three times I think) matched what my line clamp temp probe picked up @ around zero degrees. Blah. Blah. I wasn't questioning all this today while on the phone with Heatcraft. It all made sense. But now I'm wondering.

Second: My question. Warranty. It's parts ONLY per Heatcraft, as expected, to be procured through local wholesaler. Therefore, I can't order them from Heatcraft through MY company like I can for a reach-in unit. So, I called the supplier. Told them it would be a warranty thing. They requested mods & sernos. of evap & cond units. Response? "Whoah....no...that can't be right. You sure yer lookin' at the right condensing unit? They don't match up. Who installed this? I'll have to call you back." So on & so forth.

He called back 20 minutes later. Heatcraft won't cover the parts. @#%?&SUCH! COME ON! Okaaay. I understand. So I have to determine who WILL pay those parts...with the big part being that compressor.

I went through great efforts to distinguish cooler & freezer condensing units since they're not marked on the roof. I flipped breakers & checked the results (box temps, line temps & could I "hear that freon flow through the TEV...well, that EEV). I had cracked the enclosures open and found nothing to help me to dicipher that THIS is cooler and THIS is freezer. I'd made a conclusion, then had the FREEZER disconnect switch OFF throughout my temp tests, pressure test & my call to Heatcraft to diagnose the COOLER. Those tests showed my guess was correct (Ya know..temp indication...that chugging noise of freon at the evaporator). Additionally, lotsa time there running from roof to box to roof to box....before AND after the supplier counter guy's questioning of it. The two condensers, size wise, are commensurate with their spaces. Model number of the OTHER condenser translates to the larger BTU load capacity. The cooler is very small and freezer is very big. The OTHER condenser (freezer's) enclosure is twice the size, compressor is twice the size and so happens to NOT have a defrost timer TOO(BEACON does all that). Every OTHER condenser on that roof is ice machine or HVAC.

Okay, a sub-question to my question. On a Beacon system, what's the best and fastest way to tell which unit is which?

Anyway...my question. Well. The counter guy at the supplier, regarding warranty, said NO. He said Heatcraft, when HE called them, said NO. I called that tech support guy at Heatcraft again and he said NO. The company that packaged and contracted this entire walk-in installation three years ago said it's on Heatcraft and said...uh ...NO...won't cover it. More phone calls tomorrow on this so I'll reach a determination...or bounce it off my service manager for HIS response. Meanwhile the unit...is still cooling properly except for that dismal icy growth up there on the roof and a rapidly deteriorating compressor sucking liquid refrigerant. Yet, I can't help but to look out for my customer's best interests (I should get paid lawyer's wages) and determine who is incurring the brunt of the cost to repair ($700 in parts-at least...dunno yet). Nonetheless, I'll figure this part out.

Okay. Sorry. My question. Not so much to determine warrantability...but validity to the claim of it being not warrantable. ARE THESE TWO UNITS, THE CONDENSER AND THE EVAPORATOR, MISMATCHED?

P-L-E-A-S-E don't tell me to consult the supplier.

Sorry for the loquaciousness. My bio-epitaph will likely illicit Satan's suicide trying to read it.
    Last edited by ECtofix; 10-10-2008 at 12:17 AM.

Post Likes
    Is this at a McD's? They used beacon systems for a while. These systems can be a major pain.
    We do it nice cause we do it twice!

Post Likes
    I have never worked on a beacon system but they look just like cpc's
    ccb system. They really are not that hard to work on #1 thing is not to
    over think things.BTW I have three markets with ccb's.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

Post Likes
    Don't have my reference materials handy so not sure about the match up.

Go through the programming and make sure the smart controller is set up for the proper refrigerant )I don't believe you mentioned if it was 22 or 404), If that doesn't solve the problem, replace the transducer. That is a semi-common problem, if it reads wrong it will throw the superheat off.

And Beacon II's are actually very good systems so long as you're trained in them.

Post Likes
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

Post Likes
    This is a low temperature r404 3.5 hp condensing unit that does not match to the 5200btu air defrost evaporator.

Post Likes
    i had the wonderful joy of working on these beacon controls when they first hit market ,one was a banana warehouse, total nightmare, what crap they were then, sensors and boards, i know they have come thru the "test" phase now , and are now a decent product. I have the opportunity to work on danfoss adapkool setup on occasion, similar engineering but what an awsome package sensors and pulsing liquid solenoid , no exv, never have problems ,and i would recommend this first and foremost over beacon2 regards stan
    Keep it simple to keep it cool!