+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Home Sauna

Post Likes

Home Sauna

Well, the old bones are getting creaky, especially with the onset of cold weather this year. I have been thinking about getting a home sauna for a couple of years now, and this may be the year. anyone else out there own one???? Are they worth the jing?

Post Likes
    I had one. Grossed me out to bathe in the same water over and over. Then the heat loss and energy wasted in standby loss drove me nuts. If I ever do it again I'll get a good whirlpool [jetted] bathtub with a booster heater and drain it every time.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Post Likes
    Spotts is right. I used do all the warranty work for Kohler, and the hot tubs were the big thing, they got wore out for the first six months, and never/ seldom used after that. I guess the new wore off.

When ever there was a warranty issues with a jetted tub, sometimes I had to order parts, the husband of the house would say, no problem, and the wife would say get that thing running.

When we built a new house, I got a real good deal on the plumbing products we used, and installed a big whirlpool. It was very relaxing to sit in and let your muscles rest.

Some women have found that they can relax muscles, and much much more.

One lady told me if it could take out the trash, she wouldn't need her husband anymore

Post Likes
    is that all it takes? i can get one around the corner.

One lady told me if it could take out the trash, she wouldn't need her husband anymore[/QUOTE]

Post Likes
    home sauna, not hot tub. We are talking more of a steam room with a bench inside of it. I get what you mean about the hot tub, our beach house had one of those and what a pain checking the water chemicals after each use etc, especially after drunken parties. The sauna I am referring to would be about four foot square and seven foot tall, with a bench inside and heating elements that allow you to take it up to roughly 110 degrees to soothe the bones. You can add steam if desired as well. Check out the link. http://www.gaiaportablesauna.org/

Post Likes
    I saw a lady in Poland on tv get in one to set a world for time/temp. I can't remember exactly but I thought is was 5 min at 135degf.

I used to use one at a health club but i'm kinda a private person one of those you're looking at would work.
    I guess one could build their own and maybe just buy the heater.
    We are here on Earth to fart around ......Kurt Vonnegut

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    Used to work on those too, same as a hot tub, gets alot of use first 6months then jsut takes up space.

Build a stair case to your attic, there's a built in one up there

Post Likes

Grandpa always had one....

being from Finland where I guess they're popular. He built his....woodburner stove, 55 gallon drum full of steam rocks, water. That thing would sure heat up. if you enjoy it, I guess it would be worth the time/expense.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Post Likes

Expect nothing, yet expect the unexpected.
    Press on Regardless, Endeavor to Persevere.

Post Likes
    Wife pays money to get in a thing called an Infrared sauna. Google that. She loves it.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Post Likes
    I have had my infrared sauna for 2yrs now and love it
    I dont warranty Tinkeritus

Post Likes
    There's always those ones at Home Depot that look like an outhouse with a glass door Radio & CD player are include, I think...... or is this the one yer talking about anyway?

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...atalogId=10053

The guy who owned this house before me had one 1/2 built/installed when I bought it. Needless to say it never got finished and is now a full bathroom.
    Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2¢.

Post Likes
    You could come and work were I do, if you can take the cheapness of the boss. We have an attic that's over the boiler room, it's a steam room during the summer from the boilers, sun and humidity, sauna during the winter from the heat off the boilers and failed pipe insulation. Also there's the offices, at 78F during the winter, complaining they are cold. Would like to know what their house is set on.

Post Likes
    I built one into my finished basement three years ago. I had a floor drain prepped when I built. I framed a 6' x 8' x 7'H room using wolmanized lumber, Insulated the walls (solid EPS) Poured a mortar shower-bed and tiled it with a center drain, piped it for hot and cold with a shower head, Paneled it with T&G red cedar, Built a door out of red cedar with an Anthony view panel, Built cedar benches on two walls, installed a wall-mounted sauna rock heater (220V, 40amp) and a sauna light.

I also put in a vent fan, but we never need to use it. My only regret is I should have insulated the floor. I loose heat to it in the winter. The room maintains about 160 degrees which is comfortable for a good long steam. Too much hotter and the safety kicks on the heater. You can regulate the heat you feel by dousing the sauna rocks with water. The steam provides an immediate burst of damp heat. I keep a wood bucket and ladel in the room. We put a few drops of eucyliptus oil in the water. The higher in the room you sit, the hotter it is, so my benches have two levels.

The wife and I love it. It's kind of a treat. I grew to love saunas up north when hunting. A lot of the locals have finnish ancestry, and this is how everyone bathes. This is why I wanted the shower head. It can double as a walk-in shower for guests as well. Their sauna's up north are hardwood fired, and much hotter - too hot for me to take for much length. Also the large stoves create a burn hazard in a small room. Their stoves have a reservoir for water. I've scalded myself a few times getting hot water out for my wash bucket.

It cost more to complete then I originally planned. I underestimated the amount of wood and it's cost. I'm sure that with housing values like they are I will eventually recoup my full investment though!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in