Post Likes

Staging Supplemental Heat With a Carrier FE4A

I have a 4 ton Carrier 25VNA8, a FE4ANF005 air handler, and a SYSTXCCITC01 Infinity Thermostat. The air handler has a FC-3301C20 20kw supplemental heat package installed. This package appears to have three stages of supplemental heat: 5kw, 15kw, and 20kw. Are there other heater packages available for this system that would provide four stages: 5kw, 10kw, 15kw and 20kw?

Post Likes
    How do you KNOW you actually need 4 stages?
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    If you look at appendix 14 of manual S there is a multi page discussion on how to stage supplemental heat. It does not make any sense to jump from 5kw to 15 kw. At 15 kw you will just get alternating blasts of hot and cold air.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Have you observed the shifting of this staged heating at 7'F, 17'F, 27'F or 37'F?

Where should it actually occur?
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    Page 10 provides High Stage extended heating performance data for 25HNB948
    which should be similar to your equipment.

http://www.americancoolingandheating...25hnb9-2pd.pdf
    Designer Dan

Post Likes
    No there is not a 4 stage heat package. Do not try to apply logic of previous type systems to the Infinity control algorithm. It is unlikely it will short cycle on electric. It will modulate airflow and heat stages to maintain comfort. Just make sure your dealer has setup properly calculated lockout temps for the system.
    Climate Control Solutions for your Home or Office

Serving Northeast Philadelphia and Surrounding Areas

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by comfortdoc View Post
    No there is not a 4 stage heat package. Do not try to apply logic of previous type systems to the Infinity control algorithm. It is unlikely it will short cycle on electric. It will modulate airflow and heat stages to maintain comfort. Just make sure your dealer has setup properly calculated lockout temps for the system.
    See the Carrier Product Data package for the FE4A on page 11 under Accessory Electrical Heaters. The last line item lists heater part no KFCEH3301C20 and the last column on that table says "INTELLIGENT HEAT CAPABLE (KW OPERATING)" 5, 10, 15, 20. Doesn't that mean 4 stages? Could it be I have the wrong heater package? I have heater FC-3301C20, EH-20AKB, TUTCO NO. 81-0465-01.