Post Likes

How to best humidfy with unheated duct system?

Hello - I have installed a radiant heating system (using Warmboard) but have also ducted the house for air conditioning. Living in Chicago area i will need some humidifcation in the coldest months. How best can I do that?

Having read various posts, it would seem that I could attach a traditional evaporator pad model on the ductwork but use hot water from hot water heater (to ensure evaporation) since the circulated air would only be about 70F.

I am concerned about using steam system since i have very hard water with alot of iron and those seem to require very good water (not softened, not too hard, min. minerals, etc).

This is a great resoure that I used for reference in selecting the radiant system so thanks for sharing your expertise. radi

Post Likes
    Where are the ducts located? In an attic?
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    The air handler and AC coils are in the basement with ducts running through the basement and up through the various walls in the house

Post Likes
    I would not introduce humidity into unheated ducting, sounds like trouble waiting to happen.

Post Likes
    i use a standard pad style humidifier on an unheated duct system and have been for years. my primary source of heat is pellets and the furnace/duct system resides in the basement. it is used nearly exclusively to circulate air. the humidifier is on the return air duct. hook hot water to the humidifier and set your humidistat. it's not as efficient as it would be when running hot air through it but it works just fine and hasnt appeared to have any ill effects on the heating unit.

Post Likes
    Thanks Marc and t527ed, are there any other thoughts on this (running pad style humidifier in unheated duct system), since we have 2 professional members giving a little different outlook on it.