+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nearing completion

Post Likes

Nearing completion

I usually don't post incomplete work but I'll be sure to get some better pics when all is finished. We started this one earlier this summer with an attic duct system routed through a chase in two closets, all sealed and insulated (no pics of that, sorry). They just got the basement cleats put a week or two ago for us to get in there. Zoned second and first floor. Sorry for the sideways pics
    Attached Images Attached Images         

2. Likes Timber, thatCOMPANY liked this post.
    Post Likes
    BEAUTIFUL duct work! When the time comes, how are you all sealing the duct joints?

Post Likes
    Haven't decided between just taping them in the basement or using duct seal as we did in the attic.
    And thank you

Post Likes
    Wow, nice work!

Post Likes
    Really nice.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Amazing work, looks more like art then duct.
    I really wish I could knock tin like that.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    Damn. Never see RNC work like that around here! Incredible! Where's the ductboard? 16x25x1 filter slot? Flex?

Post Likes
    Thanks everyone. Yeah, we don't do much new construction because no one likes our price. This one was cheaper than I think it should have been but I'll still do the best job I possibly can. I have to thank my in laws in part because their job let me flex some duct building muscles I wasn't able to on anyone else's dollar. Their job took my duct building skills further in the last 6 months than the last 6 years.

Most new construction I see consists of two stretches of duct from one end of the house to the other, no real design or layout. Usually 12x8 or 14x8 if your lucky no matter what size system.

To those who compliment saying they wish they could, you won't be able to until you try. I'm 95% self taught on duct design and building. It's honestly my favorite part of this industry atm.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by taylor2 View Post
    To those who compliment saying they wish they could, you won't be able to until you try. I'm 95% self taught on duct design and building. It's honestly my favorite part of this industry atm.
    lol I've tried. My grandfather was a journeyman of over 50 years experience in metal. Still have a lot of his old tools.
    He tried to teach me. I didn't get that gene.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rider77 View Post
    lol I've tried. My grandfather was a journeyman of over 50 years experience in metal. Still have a lot of his old tools.
    He tried to teach me. I didn't get that gene.
    I don't deny there is something that makes you inclined or not. I've tried to teach some people some things and it just didn't click no matter how I put it. I consider myself a sponge.

Post Likes
    Great job!, If this doesn't get a large smile on all who see it nothing will

The only problem I see now is, how can anyone in good conscience cover that up with a rec room?
    It's not what you're capable of doing that defines you, it's what you do on a daily basis.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by billg View Post
    Great job!, If this doesn't get a large smile on all who see it nothing will

The only problem I see now is, how can anyone in good conscience cover that up with a rec room?
    Thanks Bill! Good news is there are no plans to cover it up in the near future.

Post Likes
    Two more little jewels hidden in the mix. A 24x10 to 24x10 90° transition and a 24x10, 24x8 to 24x16 full radius 'y'. Kinda hard to see but they're in there.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    Question for you, are you rolling your metal before you cross brake it, and how are you opening your pittsburgh seam?
    I roll it before I cross brake and put strips of metal in the seam before I roll them to prevent crushing the pocket.
    It's not what you're capable of doing that defines you, it's what you do on a daily basis.

Post Likes
    No, I cross brake it then usually just roll it by hand. On the larger radiuses sometimes I don't have to open the pitt back up, otherwise I use a 3/16 screw driver as needed. Any helpful advice on the inside radius is appreciated, I'm still working on perfecting my routine there. Tight ones can be a bear!

Post Likes
    I just edited my last post with info you'll like.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by billg View Post
    I just edited my last post with info you'll like.
    I do like that. Isn't it difficult to cross brake after rolling though? I usually only end up with a kink every now and then on a tight inside radius or an 's' offset. The roller I have is a cheap harbor freight shear/roller combo that some former employees kinda abused, can't get the thing to roll evenly any more no matter what I try.

Post Likes
    No, I cross brake it then usually just roll it by hand. On the larger radiuses sometimes I don't have to open the pitt back up, otherwise I use a 3/16 screw driver as needed. Any helpful advice on the inside radius is appreciated, I'm still working on perfecting my routine there. Tight ones can be a bear!
    Great work, I always love to see a duct job like that. I hope to have some pics of a job I am just starting on now soon. Nothing quite this fancy though.

I don't know if this will help you or not but I have found that if you over roll (roll it tighter than needed) the curve and straighten it out slightly it doesn't put a curve in the joint section. I find this more on wider sides with tighter curves, it seems offsets are particularly bad.

Post Likes
    Right after I cut it out I roll it ( let say I'm doing a 90º I roll it to about 180º before cross breaking and running the pittsburgh seam), than I gently flatten it out and cross break it. To finish it I run the pittsburgh put strips of metal in the pocket and roll to 90º remove the strips and assemble. No pita gouging the pittsburgh pocket open and no smiling faces .

As for the roller it doesn't have to be perfect (my roller is about 100 years old ).

I do like that. Isn't it difficult to cross brake after rolling though? I usually only end up with a kink every now and then on a tight inside radius or an 's' offset. The roller I have is a cheap harbor freight shear/roller combo that some former employees kinda abused, can't get the thing to roll evenly any more no matter what I try.

Post Likes
    Good stuff man!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in