Post Likes

Electric vs Propane boilers

I found this thread from a few years ago, was wondering if anybody could shed some light on this topic today. I stumbled upon it to seek out an answer for someone who believes that propane is the better option. Do these statistics still stand? Any and all information would be appreciated.

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....ler-or-Propane

Post Likes
    electric is 100% efficient = cost per kW x 3.3 but per watt. propane cost per gallon = BTUs per gallon times boiler size and efficiency

Post Likes
    In terms of an efficiency you should buy electric heater instead of propane. It is costly as compared to propane but it’s efficiency level much better than propane.

Post Likes
    You may have to upgrade your service panel to have an electric boiler. The pull a LOT of juice. That alone may put the cost of replacement above the cost of an LP unit. Off-peak metering may help with the electric usage during the night.

If the power fails and you dont have a GIANT generator, you wont have heat.

Post Likes
    Post your cost per gallon of propane and cost of electric in kilowatts (dont forget delivery charges and taxes. Total electric bill divided by kw used) and we can provide scientific data otherwise we are guessing.

'The more you know, the more you realize you don't know'

Post Likes
    Since I'm doing a 3x1000 gal underground propane install at the moment, I've had to learn a lot more about fuel gasses than I thought I would ever need to know. One big takeaway that I discovered is that you need to seriously consider OWNING your tanks rather than leasing them, if you want to even come close to other fuels as far as cost is concerned. When leasing, you might be paying a buck and a half more per gallon than if you owned your tank(s). That's a lot.

In my case, the regular leased rate was around $2.50/gal, and the owner rate is $1.31/gal. Payback on that is dependent on your fuel usage, but it pays for itself pretty quick. The only caveat is that you are responsible for maintenance on tanks that you own, which usually isn't a huge issue.

Post Likes
    Also it depends on the use it will get. They talked about replacing an electric boiler at work with a Propane. It didn't make any since, it was for a WSHP Loop, it didn't run enough, to justify the cost of replacement. We rebuilt the boiler with new elements, contractors and replaced the controller which was going to have to be done anyway.
    Retired, after 43 Years