Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

do I need a drain to install a good HVAC humidifier

Hello,

I will soon install an hvac system in my home that uses a condensate drain pump with an overflow shut off switch. I am considering adding a dehumidifier to the system in the future. Can you please tell me whether I need a drain in order to drain the water residue from a good quality humidifier or if a condensate drain pump will suffice? I am located in Montreal, Canada where we experience dry winters for 7 months out of the year.

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is this a whole house humidifier installed in the ductwork? the installer should take care of this for you.

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not a whole house dehumidifier. I made a mistake in the post above. I meant to write humidifier as the title of the post indicates. I am talking about a humidifier for a 2400sq ft home in Montreal,Canada where it gets very dry during our 7 month winters.

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    depends on what kind of humidifier you get. Your contractor will know if you will need one.

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    do the high quality humidifiers require a drain? Am I limited to choosing sub par humidifiers if I don't have a drain present? I asked different contractors and they all gave me different answers in response to whether I need a drain or not because they are all recommending different humidifiers (steam, gravity)

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buyabook View Post
    do the high quality humidifiers require a drain? (steam, gravity)
    IT DEPENDS ON THE TYPE AND BRAND OF HUMIDIFIER YOU GET. A skuttle steam humidifier no, a honeywell steam humidifier yes. give us a make and modle and we can then answer your question. It is too broad of a question to answer the way you are asking it.

Kinda like how much gas will i have to add to my car every day that i drive it to work?

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A condensate pump that discharges to a laundry sink or floor drain somewhere else should work fine if you need it to, no matter what type of humidifier you get.

Like others have said, let your installer worry about it. It shouldn't be a big deal.

Edit... After thinking about it some more, there are some steam humidifiers that use a big plastic tank that gets automaticly flushed out every so often. Discharging that much water all at once would probably overwhelm most small condensate pumps, so don't get that kind of humidifier. Most other types should be ok though.