+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sun protection tips?

Post Likes

Sun protection tips?

Girlfriend noticed I've been getting dark... I'm young, and sort of new to this sorta of work. I have a hardcore farmer's tan. I've never really paid any attention to protection from the sun. After switching companies, I decided to opt for some long sleeve shirts. Wearing them on hot days where I'm up on roofs with reflective white surfaces, it really seems to make a difference. I'm thinking about putting sun screen on, but I feel like it makes sweating worse.

No one else in my company seems to care. I'm young and don't want to get all withered up from the sun. Any one got any tips? Tomorrow I'm gonna put sun screen lotion on in the mornings and see how it holds up.

Post Likes
    Do it! Lost my brother to skin cancer a few years back. It got to stage 4 and in to his liver , took him out in six months. He was 56. Never put on sun screen and love to work out side with no shirt, went hiking no shirt, camping no shirt , a real nature boy . He was mean and could argue with the best . Just not cancer.
    Use the sun screen , try something pro-sports players use . Would hold up better to the sweating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Likes jingoism liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I live in the devil's oven. I use long sleeve shirts June-August only if I know I'll be on the roof for more than an hour. If not, I put sun block on my arms. I don't put sun screen on my face or neck. I don't step onto a roof without my sun hat. It's breathable and has an ear and neck cover that hangs down to block the sun. I wash it every other week and it only cost me $8.50 on Amazon shipped. It came with a face cover too but I've never used it.

Search this on Amazon.
    UV 50+ Protection Outdoor Multifunctional Flap Hat Neck Protection Cap with Removable Sun Shield and Mask
    "Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort. The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" --- John Ruskin

5. Likes jingoism liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Wide brim sun hat, it makes a huge difference. Sunscreen on your arms, and a pair of dark safety sunglasses. The hat makes all the differance, I get a sun induced headache if I don't wear mine
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

7. Likes jingoism liked this post.
    Post Likes
    +1 0n the wide brim hats. Started using them when I was in Cali and would go to the desert once a month and go to Vegas for a week or two a couple times a year. Been using them ever since.

9. Likes jingoism liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I bought one of the camo wide brimmed hats at Wal-Mart pretty cheap. It's actually hanging on the wall next to me right now, and much like the pope it has gotten pretty holey.

Post Likes
    As a cancer survivor myself, I was told by my docs to "cover up". This is what was recommended, expensive but very effective:
    http://www.sunprecautions.com/

J

Post Likes
    Been thinking about it a lot today. It's pretty counter intuitive to go out in Summer in shorts, tank top, and flip flops. I think the middle easterns have it right. Cover up. Wore my long sleeve with an Under Armour. Big sun hat, sunscreen, sunglasses. Very comfortable.

Post Likes
    Big hats & sunscreen. Iv'e had my nose cut up from Basil Cell. It scares me

Post Likes
    I wear long sleeve shirts sunscreen and a sunhat and that may be the reason people think I'm 10+ years younger than I am
    UA Proud

"Phfft! Facts. You can use them to prove anything." Homer Simpson

Post Likes
    I never covered up in the past, I'm fair skinned being irish, and now have a couple cancer spots I am having taken care of. Doc says it's all from sun exposure and is thoroughly preaching wearing at least sunscreen.
    I'm only 42 years old. All of it is on my left side forehead and cheek) leading me to believe I got a lot of the exposure sitting in traffic in between calls in addition to all the other time spent out in the sun we all endure.
    I was always told to take care of my knees coming up in this trade, but never warned about the sun. So since you brought it up, here is your fair warning I guess.
    On the bright side, I always wore sunglasses so I don't have many crows feet or squint lines hahaha

Post Likes
    I would recommend using homemade lotion for tanning. Much safer for your skin (no harsh chemicals), as well as cheaper.

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Grave digger
    Nemo me impune lacessit.

How much blood do I have to bathe in to get clean?

Don't look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

Post Likes
    This is very useful. I definitely try one of these tips to protect myself from sun

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in