Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Midsize or full size truck

I'm a full time building engineer and working toward an r62 roc HVAC/r license here in Arizona. Currently I'm a one man operation And trying to figure out what type of service truck/ daily driver. Fuel economy mid size or load capacity full size. What would you guys recommend? Thank you

Post Likes
    I have a Ford Ranger as a personal vehicle and I really like it and am disappointed that Ford stopped selling them here. I like that it's easier to drive around and park than a bigger truck would be.

With that being said, If I had to depend on it for a work I would probably want a bigger one.

I don't think fuel economy is much better with smaller trucks. Most of them get almost as bad gas mileage as their full sized counterparts. Especially if you have any weight in them.

3. Likes Imatryin liked this post
    Post Likes
    Went from a Dakota to a Ram quad cab. Then I had service truck problems that lasted a couple of years. The Ram did double duty and I did use it as a service truck. I am now running an Econoline e250. Still not big enough. Sort of miss the step vans I used to have.
    Quote Originally Posted by ammoniadog View Post
    I have a Ford Ranger as a personal vehicle and I really like it and am disappointed that Ford stopped selling them here. I like that it's easier to drive around and park than a bigger truck would be.

With that being said, If I had to depend on it for a work I would probably want a bigger one.

I don't think fuel economy is much better with smaller trucks. Most of them get almost as bad gas mileage as their full sized counterparts. Especially if you have any weight in them.

5. Likes Imatryin liked this post
    Post Likes
    As big as you can get. It still won't be big enough. Screw gas mileage, charge customer for fuel. If gas price goes up add a fuel surcharge if you have to. i get 11mpg in my Chevy Silverado 2500 with service body.

7. Likes Imatryin liked this post
    Post Likes
    3/4 ton extended cab long bed is minimum. gotta have ladder rack, and toolbox bed, or at least side boxes... a van is better for service, as the MASSIVE inventory ya gotta carry is less likely to be stolen or damaged in a van...

I am a one man shop, and I have two ext/longbeds with boxes... and a car, and a wagon, and a van... I drive what suits the job best, and have a backup when service or major repairs are needed...

oh... and a trailer... gotta have a trailer...
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...

Find a HVAC-Talk Contractor by clicking here

Click below to BECOME a pro member
    https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdispl...ip-Information

Do you go to a boat repairman with a sinking boat, and tell him to put in a bigger motor when he tells you to fix the holes?

I am yourmrfixit

9. Likes Imatryin liked this post
    Post Likes
    Thanks for your response . Probably going to be a 1500 07 or newer

Post Likes
    Moved to General forum.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

12. Likes Imatryin liked this post
    Post Likes
    IMO the larger the better.

I drive a long wheel base Express 3500.
    Rough on gas... but all the stuff is right where it needs to be (in its place, and WITH ME, on every call).
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *Cheap is not good, good is not cheap; however expensive is not a guarantee of quality!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

14. Likes Imatryin liked this post
    Post Likes
    I like to get to the customers at 0700 and diagnose and repair and get the unit up and running, after going into the back of the truck 22-31 times to get "stuff", and leave at 3 in the afternoon and the truck didn't move once. What gas mileage? Going to the supply houses for parts is where a lot of mileage adds up. Does productivity come into play here?

16. Likes Imatryin liked this post
    Post Likes
    I agree running to the supply house adds up.

Post Likes
    First question I have for you is what kind of work do you do? If you EVER have to carry equipment then bigger is better. IF you ONLY do light service and repair then go with something smaller. I have to use a truck, right now in a 2006 Z71. Need 4x4 in winter. Beginning of the year had a 2000 f150. in-between those two I used an old jeep. Before the f150 I used my 92 Dodge D250 Cummins with 8' bed and extended cab (loved it and got 18 miles/gallon). I have to carry around condensers, air handlers, scrap.... So Bigger for me is better.

Also, I try to keep part runs down to a min. I hate going to the part stores. Takes up my time and takes extra money for the vehicle.

If I was to purchase a vehicle to use (instead of my boss) I would get the Dodge 1500 eco diesel unless a better one comes out (f150 diesel, Nissan or toyota with cummins...)

19. Likes Imatryin liked this post
    Post Likes
    I use a Chevy Express 3500 standard length. The extended length is better, but is to long to park. Mileage is
    14.3 mpg, not bad for its size. You can store many items in van, and a van is more secure than a pickup.
    Theft around here has gotten so bad, a van is a must. Van has 6.0 engine, a must. Since engine does not
    have to work hard, you actually get better mileage than smaller engine that has to work hard all the time.

21. Likes Imatryin liked this post
    Post Likes
    bigger the better in pickup extended cab long bed and/or full size van style body. I also agree with a flatbed and enclosed trailer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast