+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Combustion Analyzer

Post Likes

Combustion Analyzer

Just looking for feedback from you guys on what analyzer I should go with. I've been looking @ Bacharachs and the UEI but I'm not a real fan of UEI. Also, is having a printer important I'm doing about 98% residential work right now. Thanks

Post Likes
    In my opinion, a printer is mandatory. When you do analysis the slip should be left stapled to the service sheet. This can give you insight for later, as well as proof that you actually did what you were supposed to do. We use the pca 65 with the infrared printer, and also customizable reports on the computer, but we do mainly heavy commercial/ industrial stuff. for your use a less expensive model would be fine.

Post Likes
    I recommend Testo or Bacharach combustion analyzers. Flange is correct in stating the printer is a necessity.

Post Likes
    I use the TSI ca-calc 6130 Its the only one i have ever used It seems to respond fast and is very rugged it runs for about 800 and if you get it from NCI it comes with a draft gauge. Also if you plan on taking a NCI combustion class any time soon they will give you a 100 off coupon

Post Likes

demo

trying find a company that will let my company demo a couple of units to compare them against other companies units. I don't want to buy something if I can't try it first. Money is tight and I want to get my money's worth.

Post Likes
    if you don't mind let me know how that process goes I agree, I dont have 1,500 to spend on something I won't be happy with. Good idea!

Post Likes
    I am very happy with my Testo but even better has been there customer support.

Post Likes
    Bacharach seems to be the household name around here which sometimes makes a difference... Does anyone have any experience with TPI?
    There combustion analyzer model 712 seems to be about $1k with printer. This makes it $1k cheaper than the Bacharach Insight. They both have printing capability and five function meters. My local supply house is having the TPI rep in a couple weeks and discount pricing....IMO $1K is a lot more cash for a tool that preforms similar diagnostics. The real difference that caught my eye is the user replaceable cartridge in the Bacharach vs sending the TPI in once a year. For a $1,000 bucks difference I can be bothered with sending it in once a year.

Post Likes
    I happened to run into a buddy of mine who is a well-respected tech both by me and may others in the area, I asked him about analyzers and he told me that I really didn't need one. I was a little suprised. He told me that he could tell if a furnace was firing efficiently without one and I told him that I wasn't anywhere close to his talent. So of course now he's planted the seed in my head that I don't need one, but I suspect that they are a useful tool but GD are they expensive. He's got a Bacharach Monoxor II I think.

Post Likes
    You can pick up the testo for under a $1000 online and it has the replaceable cells. Plus the Testo has a three or four year sensor warranty.

Take a look at the Testo 327. If you buy it with the printer you get a free 318-V scope.
    JLB,

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jim bergmann View Post
    You can pick up the testo for under a $1000 online and it has the replaceable cells. Plus the Testo has a three or four year sensor warranty.

Take a look at the Testo 327. If you buy it with the printer you get a free 318-V scope.
    $1300 with printer it's a must...no manometer breaks the deal for me I'm looking to lighten the load.

Post Likes
    The 327 has the differential manometer, 0-40 inches wc.
    JLB,

Post Likes
    testo 327-1 is your introductory instrument to flue gas analysis. It measures combustion efficiency, °F, O2, CO2, CO and flue draft. The strong LED background light in the 4 line display guarantees an easy-to-read display even if lighting conditions are low. The analyser stands because of its easy menu navigation and ergonomic housing as well as its durability. Easy menu navigation 4 line segment display LED display light Easy infrared printout Built-in condensate trap 3-year sensor warranty – best in class! FEATURES: 4-line display 5 hr. Li-Ion rechargeable battery Self-service kits available Collect additional test data for a single report Generate reports with IR printer (optional.) Rugged single line probe connection Pre-programmed with 8 fuels PLUS testo Exclusive! Includes BioHeat® 5 fuel code CALCULATES: Combustion Efficiency, CO2, CO-Air Free.

Features:

* Fast 30-second warm-up
    * 4-line backlit display (user configurable)
    * Rugged single line probe connection
    * Integrated protective boot
    * Built-in magnetic back for hands-free work
    * Wireless IR link for printer (printer optional)
    * 5 hr. Li-Ion rechargeable battery
    * Easily accessible field serviceable sensor
    * Sensor diagnostics and battery life indicator

Kit Includes:

* 327-1 analyzer with 5' hose and probe,
    * Li-Ion battery,
    * A/C power adapter

No mention of manometer in the ad from Tru Tech tools...Thanks for quick response thou.

Post Likes
    Whomever your buddy is that doesn't need an analyzer to do combustion work is like an ac tech that charges to beer can cold. He is a borderline hack. Not all companies can afford a top of the line bacharach, but should use some instrument for testing. Granted you will not pull out a pca 25 to test a furnace during a 25 dollar tuneup, but you should have at least one in EVERY company. The techs should at least know how to turn it on a take readings, and can use charts in the beginning to see where they stand. If you do any boiler work, or even packaged rooftops you should have a comb analyzer period.

Post Likes
    The manometer is how all combustion analyzers measure draft. The one in the 327 just happens to have a high enough range to measure TESP, or set gas pressures. We should add it to the specs or spell it out better

Thanks
    JLB,

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jim bergmann View Post
    The manometer is how all combustion analyzers measure draft. The one in the 327 just happens to have a high enough range to measure TESP, or set gas pressures. We should add it to the specs or spell it out better

Thanks
    So you're saying that the testo can measure static pressure?! How much are we talking here?

Post Likes
    How much money or static,

You have two choices when you measure the differential static pressure, The manometer is a differential manometer. There is one hose stub on the bottom of the instrument, and you slip another hose over the probe or you can purchase an adapter that eliminates the probe and makes the instrument into a compact 2 channel manometer.

The 327 ranges in price from $925 to $1459.00 depending on how it is outfitted. All printer kits come with a free 318-V this fall.
    JLB,

Post Likes
    I just got my Testo 327 about 3 weeks ago and I love it! I used to use a Bacharach setup in the military but the sensor elements were always going bad and waiting for replacements sucked.
    I have heard nothing but good things about the Testo setup from how good the warranty is to the simplicity of changing out the inexpensive elements. The unit automatically does it's own purge after each test.
    I still have yet to learn all of it's features.
    Our engineer who is full time payroll with my company even recommends the new Testo setup. He's got about 20-something years field tech experience before he finished his engineering degree.

One recommendation I would give you is get the Testo with the printer and don't forget to get the smoke-spot tester as well.

~smoke~
    "That motor's done, he let the factory smoke charge out!"

Post Likes
    Anyone had their hands on a Bacharach Fyrite Insight?
    http://www.bacharach-inc.com/insight.htm

Both of our Fyrite 125 Pro units are only 3 years old, and just got fresh O2 sensors and calibration, so it will be a while before I can justify something new.

Quote Originally Posted by addamsmasher View Post
    I happened to run into a buddy of mine who is a well-respected tech both by me and may others in the area, I asked him about analyzers and he told me that I really didn't need one. I was a little suprised. He told me that he could tell if a furnace was firing efficiently without one and I told him that I wasn't anywhere close to his talent.
    I'll give your buddy the benefit of the doubt and say he doesn't understand how wrong he is, rather than calling him an idiot.
    I used to believe the way he does, now after a few years of using an analyzer, I won't work on combustion appliances without one.
    If he isn't testing, he is just guessing.

Post Likes
    i wanted to buy a testo but was talked out of it because of its slow response time. for instance checking lightoff. just wondering if this is true or false.. One more question does anybody know how it compares to the tsi 6130???

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in