Post Likes

Good price on oversized Trane - worth it?

Hey everyone! Here's my situation:

We bought a house about a year ago, and I've been doing a lot of renovations (I work for a general contractor). In the next year or so I'll be taking out the old chimney, into which the furnace currently vents. At that point we'll want to replace the whole HVAC system. The outside compressor is 51 years old (seriously!) and the indoor furnace/handler is 30 years old. Both function but are SERIOUSLY inefficient. The house is 1928 vintage, very little insulation in the walls (about 1/4 insulated where I refinished), all new windows, fairly leaky ducts.

Today I got a lead on a pair of Trane units that were used for under a year in 2011 and then put in a garage. The outside unit is a XL16i (4TTX6048G1000AA) two-stage compressor and the handler is a 4TEE3F65B1000BA. I could probably get both for a combined $500 and then I'd pay to have them installed. Here's my dilemma:

1. From the pics I have seen, the lines weren't capped. Is that a no-go or would a tech be able to service them and get them clean enough to run well?

2. The compressor is 4 tons, and my house probably only needs 2-2.5 tons at most. Given that it's a two-stage compressor, would I lose all efficiency benefits by virtue of it being way too big for my house? Or would the super-cheap price make up for it?

Budget is definitely an issue, which is why I'm hoping this could work out.

Worth it, or pass it up?

(Also, I can't find much info on the air handler. Is it a gas furnace with auxiliary electrical element, or what? Hoping someone is familiar with it).

Post Likes
    The low of that unit is about 80% of high in actual output so even on low, it is way too big. The air handler has no gas capability, it would require a lot of electricity. If you don't have at least a 200 amp main panel, probably won't work for you.

Post Likes
    Yeah, the service is only 100 amps. Will eventually upgrade, but not anytime soon.

I wonder why they had an air handler without the heat pump version of the xl16i. Weird.

Nuts.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beardlesswhelp View Post
    Yeah, the service is only 100 amps. Will eventually upgrade, but not anytime soon.

I wonder why they had an air handler without the heat pump version of the xl16i. Weird.

Nuts.
    It was used for cooling only, probably a commercial application where they didn't need much heat.

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend it. It's likely end up costing you a lot more than if you just get new properly sized equipment.
    Last edited by jtrammel; 09-06-2015 at 10:18 PM.

Post Likes
    No go.
    Is the Religious Right to blame for Christianity's decline?

They argued that, as the Religious Right became increasingly visible and militant, it became associated with Christianity itself. And if being a Christian meant being associated with the likes of Jerry Falwell, many people—especially political moderates and liberals—decided to simply stop identifying as Christians altogether.

http://www.theamericanconservative.c...nitys-decline/

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beardlesswhelp View Post

We bought a house about a year ago,
    and I've been doing a lot of renovations (I work for a general contractor).

In the next year or so I'll be taking out the old chimney, into which the furnace currently vents.
    At that point we'll want to replace the whole HVAC system.

The outside compressor is 51 years old (seriously!) and the indoor furnace/handler is 30 years old.
    Both function but are SERIOUSLY inefficient.

The house is 1928 vintage, very little insulation in the walls (about 1/4 insulated where I refinished),
    all new windows, fairly leaky ducts.

Today I got a lead on a pair of Trane units that were used for under a year in 2011 and then put in a garage.
    The outside unit is a XL16i (4TTX6048G1000AA) two-stage compressor and the handler is a 4TEE3F65B1000BA.
    I could probably get both for a combined $500 and then I'd pay to have them installed. Here's my dilemma:

2. The compressor is 4 tons, and my house probably only needs 2-2.5 tons at most.

Given that it's a two-stage compressor, would I lose all efficiency benefits by virtue of it being way too big for my house?
    Or would the super-cheap price make up for it?

Also, I can't find much info on the air handler.
    Is it a gas furnace with auxiliary electrical element, or what?
    Hoping someone is familiar with it.
    How do you KNOW what size you ACTUALLY need?

WON'T Be Feasible without a Heat Pump.!
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    I say do it!

You'll need somewhere to spend all that cash you saved vs getting it done right, and where better than your utility bills, repair bills and replacement bills!!

It's Synchronicity!
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.

Two pressures, four temperatures = SUCCESS!

Boulder Heating Contractor

For Consumers:

For HVACR Professionals: