Post Likes

Trane BCI-C Bacnet MSTP Issue

Hi all, we have 3 Trane BCI-C modules connected to 3 trane chillers. When we try to scan the Bacnet MSTP network from each BCI-C it does not communicate no matter what we tried. Trane people can connect to the BCI-C's USB connector just fine, and they can see the bacnet object and change bacnet ID and stuff using their own trane software. But the bacnet mstp just wont work on all 3 of them. We are using CAS bacnet Explorer software to scan the mstp network. We tried CAS bacnet Explorer on a Honeywell Comfort Point CP-IPC controller and it works perfectly. What could be the issue with the trane Bci-c's? Any help would be appreciated.

Post Likes
    Did you check the baud rate? They default at 76,800. Connecting to the USB port is not the same as the mstp comm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qui-Gon Jinn (Star Wars Episode 1)
    "The ablilty to speak does not make you intelligent!"

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Balibe View Post
    Did you check the baud rate? They default at 76,800. Connecting to the USB port is not the same as the mstp comm.
    Yup read above. Dang why didn't I think of that?
    Beware of the prophet trying to make a profit.

There is less oxygen from knee level to the floor! Check it out next time you tie your boots.

Post Likes
    mac address, software address, baud rates were all checked and matched.

Post Likes
    Today we discovered some thing, when we manually create a bacnet device with the BCI-Cs software/MAC address and poll it, we can get the points of the BCI-C. But this method is not very reliable. Any idea how could I get the bacnet auto discovery to work with this Trane BCI-Cs?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by qtip View Post
    Yup read above. Dang why didn't I think of that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Reckles View Post
    Hi all, we have 3 Trane BCI-C modules connected to 3 trane chillers. When we try to scan the Bacnet MSTP network from each BCI-C it does not communicate no matter what we tried. Trane people can connect to the BCI-C's USB connector just fine, and they can see the bacnet object and change bacnet ID and stuff using their own trane software. But the bacnet mstp just wont work on all 3 of them. We are using CAS bacnet Explorer software to scan the mstp network. We tried CAS bacnet Explorer on a Honeywell Comfort Point CP-IPC controller and it works perfectly. What could be the issue with the trane Bci-c's? Any help would be appreciated.
    No where in the "yup read above" does it mention baud rate ..... maybe you are too smart for all of us and knows "and stuff" is baud rate!!

Maybe next time you should read the post before your useless comments.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qui-Gon Jinn (Star Wars Episode 1)
    "The ablilty to speak does not make you intelligent!"

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Balibe View Post
    No where in the "yup read above" does it mention baud rate ..... maybe you are too smart for all of us and knows "and stuff" is baud rate!!

Maybe next time you should read the post before your useless comments.
    .....um, I could be wrong but I thing q-tip was agreeing with you and directing his statement "Yup, read above..." to the OP suggesting that he follow your advice.

Again, I could be wrong but that's the way I read it.
    Saving the world...one service call at a time.

Post Likes
    Did you manually set the mac addresses with the software or are you setting them by the dials on the controller? Your addresses need to be set using the dials, not the software.
    Quote Originally Posted by MatrixTransform View Post
    very soon it is you that will be pwned

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by joey791 View Post
    Did you manually set the mac addresses with the software or are you setting them by the dials on the controller? Your addresses need to be set using the dials, not the software.
    I changed both, the rotary dials are set to id 50 and the software ID is also 50 baud rate is 9600. The BCI-C is set as a master device. Nothing we can do about that. But I guess we can do something with Honeywell EBI where all the Honeywell and Trane controllers will get connected to.

Post Likes
    Address can be set by rotary or software. Here is a link to the software needed

http://www.trane.com/content/trane-c...ownload-center

Choose Building Controls and Full Version then Tracer BACnet Setup Tool

Baud seem slow, set one up last week at 38400 and no issues discovering. This is set to whatever your control system link is running.

Trane has no option of a Master or Slave.

There is less oxygen from knee level to the floor! Check it out next time you tie your boots.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mallron View Post
    .....um, I could be wrong but I thing q-tip was agreeing with you and directing his statement "Yup, read above..." to the OP suggesting that he follow your advice.

Again, I could be wrong but that's the way I read it.
    Yup or shall I clarify...You are correct.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by qtip View Post
    Address can be set by rotary or software. Here is a link to the software needed

http://www.trane.com/content/trane-c...ownload-center

Choose Building Controls and Full Version then Tracer BACnet Setup Tool

Baud seem slow, set one up last week at 38400 and no issues discovering. This is set to whatever your control system link is running.

Trane has no option of a Master or Slave.
    Thanks qtip, I've already used that software to setup the software ID and baud. We tried every baud rate available with the BCI-C. These BCI-C's are connected to a MSTP channel on a Honeywell CP-IPC controller and we are trying to discover it with EBI. IPC's MSTP channel is all configured to match the BCI-C's.

Post Likes
    Set the software IDs back to default. Set the rotary dials on each controller to a different address and see what happens. I have a huge write up on this somewheres where I did 2 chillers about 3 years ago and the software IDs would not work with the hardware IDS set the same, once I used the rotary dials for the hardware ID and not the software ID everything came up and started communicating.
    Quote Originally Posted by MatrixTransform View Post
    very soon it is you that will be pwned

14. Likes Carrier1 liked this post.