Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Refrigerator

Post Likes

Refrigerator

Hello everyone..
    I been in this trade for 3 years and work on commercial system plus res HVAC systems. I need help in figuring small appliance refrigerators. My cousins fridge compressor grounded out and I was asked to repair it instead of replace because she loves the fridge. So I added a compressor but I did not add the filter drier because of the accessing issue I had. But I did triple vacuum using nitrogen. My question is that the name plate says 5oz 134a Charge in which I added 5oz and a little more so let's say 6 oz. My issue is that I'm still in a vacuum on my gauges. Do I need to add more 134a? Also do I absolutely need to replace the filter drier? Thank you in advance

Post Likes
    Filter/drier and or cap tube. I hope you too love that refrigerator because it's going to Love You. ❤

Post Likes
    Uv dye filter drier. why do you say its going to love me lol.. Am I in for issues
    in the future?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Imatryin View Post
    Uv dye filter drier. why do you say its going to love me lol.. Am I in for issues
    in the future?
    If you get by with just the filter/drier then not so much love.

Post Likes
    Will I need to replace the filter drier if the old compressor was grounded.

Post Likes
    Didn't change the Filter / Drier Strike 1
    Didn't test oil for acid Strike 2
    Weighed in charge but still running in vacuum probably a plugged cap tube

Strike 3

Take it as a learning experience but I vote that unit is not worth the repair bill, junk it.

Post Likes
    Will I need to replace the filter drier if the old compressor was grounded.
    Always replace drier with a compressor...always.

Compressor more than likely failed for a reason. Grounded compressor...hmm...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Didn't change the Filter / Drier Strike 1
    Didn't test oil for acid Strike 2
    Weighed in charge but still running in vacuum probably a plugged cap tube

Strike 3

Take it as a learning experience but I vote that unit is not worth the repair bill, junk it.

Post Likes
    I did check if there was acid in the system and none was visible according to qwik check . Also I ran in a vacuum well adding charge 1 oz over the recommend charge amount. Yes I did not replace the filter drier, I will even though its in a rough to braze area. But since I'm in a vacuum do I need to keep adding charge via vapor charge till my pressure rises.

Post Likes
    If the system holds 5 oz your already 20% over. You have a restriction! Probably in the cap tube metering device. Common with POE, R-134A & heat (Plugged condenser)
    If I'm right then on a small refrigerator its not worth the trouble.

Post Likes
    ok thank you I appreciate your response. The compressor is not the OEM and Im wondering if maybe the generac manufactured recommend compressor holds a little more 134a. Do you think that it may and that is why im still in a vacuum?

Post Likes
    ok thank you I appreciate your response. The compressor is not the OEM and Im wondering if maybe the generac manufactured recommend compressor holds a little more 134a. Do you think that it may and that is why im still in a vacuum?
    No...your cap tube is plugged.
    Replace suction line/cap tube heat exchanger as an assembly and drier and recharge.

Domestic Refrigeration is odd...you will have low suction pressure but certainly not more than a 5hg vacuum.

Post Likes
    I've replaced the uv drier vacuum system to 500 microns added 5oz of charge I have a high pressure of 150 and a low of 0 do I need to add more 134a?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast