Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Likes

Humidity Problem with Daiken Ductless MiniSplit

We had a Daiken ductless mini-split system installed in May (2 ton Daikin mini split heat pump system with (2) 7,000 Btu wall mount heads, and (1) 12,000 Btu wall mount head). The system seemed to work well at first, but the longer we ran it continuously, the higher the humidity rose in our home. We contacted the installer and he ran some data logging to determine the humidity levels. Despite them climbing above 70%, he says these are standard levels and the unit is working as expected. Does anyone have any experience with this problem and/or suggest some solutions? Thank you in advance!

Post Likes
    Humidity should go down, not up, during longer it runs; there is a problem...

Also, depending on sensible temps 55% & lower is standard; never 70%.

Post Likes
    Are the units maintaining temperature?
    I need a new signature.....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by I_bend_metal View Post
    Are the units maintaining temperature?
    Yes, they seem to maintain temperature. In fact, if the temp is high and they run in cooling mode, the humidity is fine, it's only when there is no cooling load necessary and the fan is running. This happens mostly overnight when the outside temps drop.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by udarrell View Post
    Humidity should go down, not up, during longer it runs; there is a problem...

Also, depending on sensible temps 55% & lower is standard; never 70%.
    That is what I assumed, because when it hit 70% you could certainly tell by the quality of air and room comfort. Do you have any suggestions as to how to deal with it?

Post Likes
    Fan "on" will make the %RH higher because of the evaporation of the moisture on the coil at the end of cycle. Fan "auto" should help.
    During low/no cooling loads and high outdoor dew points expect plus the moisture from the occupants expect high indoor %RH. Adding small whole dehumidifier like the Ultra-Aire wll provide low %RH without cooling.
    Regards Teddy Bear
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Post Likes
    Most minis you don't have a choice, fan is on low all the time when not running. Are these inverter?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Most minis you don't have a choice, fan is on low all the time when not running. Are these inverter?
    Fan should be in AUTO and will ramp down to extreme low when compressor is off.

X-2 on Inverter?

Post Likes
    Are the penetrations in the wall properly sealed?

Post Likes
    Fan shuts off? OK, I'm not familiar with Daikin units.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Fan shuts off? OK, I'm not familiar with Daikin units.
    Apparently, on the units we have (as with most mini-splits) there is no way to turn off the fan. Some quick research shows that Daikin makes models where there fan has a switch for on/auto.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Are the penetrations in the wall properly sealed?
    Both the installer and the product rep came out to make sure they were properly installed, so I would have to say yes according to them.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Fan should be in AUTO and will ramp down to extreme low when compressor is off.

X-2 on Inverter?
    The fan might ramp down, but it never shuts off. Not sure what X-2 on Inverter means, I can provide model details if that would help.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast