+ Reply to Thread

Thread: flare tool issue

Post Likes

Confused flare tool issue

http://www.amazon.com/Yellow-Jacket-.../dp/B002SB5RMA

Every flare I make with this device leaves 3 indents on the flare face. It seems to coincide with the 3 lines on the cone itself.

I have watched the online video, tried different pressure stop points and tried releasing the finished flare different ways- still does it.

Anyone else use this tool with success?
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Never had a problem with mine, do you use nylog on the cone? I also use the Hilmor no problem there either.

Post Likes
    Try annealing the copper. You could have a crappy pipe.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by shellkamp View Post
    Try annealing the copper. You could have a crappy pipe.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Many different test pieces used and same thing.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lytning View Post
    Never had a problem with mine, do you use nylog on the cone? I also use the Hilmor no problem there either.
    I use vac or refrig oil, have not tried nylog when forming flare.

Post Likes
    I have made several flares with this tool and never had an issue with this tool. Couple times I did tighten the clamp enough and the pipe slipped a little and had a short flare. I yelled at the tool reflarred and all was good

Post Likes
    The 1/4 inch size on mine gives me problems staying clamped in sometimes ( the red handle model that pre dates this never had this problem ). Other than that it works well for me.

Post Likes
    I use a little Nylog on the cone and it works great. I did have a couple of times where the 1/4 inch did slip, figured it was just me...maybe it wasn't me?

Post Likes
    When your flare is done, does it fill the "bowl" in the bottom die?

I have yet to see this happen, and not sure it is supposed to as that would seem to be too large of a surface. Referring to 1/4 - 5/8.

Post Likes
    I believe I have seen these marks you refer to created by this tool. However, the indentations are on the back side of the flare cone and not on the burnished, sealing surface, so I would think they would not be critical.
    "Knowledge is what you get when you read the directions. Experience is what you get when you don't." --Unknown

Post Likes
    1/4" slips on mine to.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 11crv View Post
    1/4" slips on mine to.
    Mine also slips when backing out 1/4", inconsistent flare outside diameters too. 458r is a much better tool in my opinion

Post Likes
    had a few times my would slip with 1/4 inch, but would also do it with my ridged flare tool. I thought maybe it was due to poor quality of the tubing.

Post Likes
    I've always had issues with making the 1/4 flare with this tool too,
    It's been hit or miss. The rest of the sizes I've never had a problem and it is my favorite flare tool.

Post Likes
    dont use that tool...... never had a flare go bad in 30 years..... something fishy
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in