Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Likes

Supco SCM-150 Fires???

We are so frustrated with the issues were having with the Supco Surge Protectors model SCM-150.
    We thought we have been doing customers going by installing these things with new equipment installations but we have had now around 6 FIRES started by these things. Thank goodness no burned down homes or any injuries but these are causing scary issues?
    Anyone else having issues with this brand and this model. We've been putting them on for several years and now we seeing more and more that are catching fire. I now feel like we need to go change out all the ones we've installed to be safe. This would be very costly I'm afraid and I can't get the mfg to call be back. I just wish the SUPCO MFG would step up and make things right and pay us to go and switch these out. There's obviously and issue with them. Our vendors never told us anything if they knew either.
    Any help or feedback be appreciated.!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes dmart74 liked this post
    Post Likes

Post Likes
    I have the supco guys full name, email, and phone number, let me know if you need if.
    There are two ways to do things, Right and Again.

Post Likes
    You could pull a Donald and post it on line. (:-
    Quote Originally Posted by shavedneon View Post
    I have the supco guys full name, email, and phone number, let me know if you need if.

Post Likes
    That's for all that replied and especially to shavedneon. I will continue to call and will post back on how this is turns out. I get the claim the mfg's say that they are suppose to self destruct so to say but burn up and catch fire I don't buy. Can't it be a fusible link of some kind and it just open circuit internally as the self destruct mode, not catch freaking fire!!!!!
    Thanks again to all

Post Likes
    Would definatly be interested in hearing more about this.

Post Likes
    Thats INSANE!!

I would bite the bullet and go pull those out of wherever you installed them to avoid a liability lawsuit that will cost 10X more than paying a mech to go rip them out. Nevermind if it burns a house down and kills someone!

Post Likes
    I wonder if the square d version is any better. I personally think any of them using a MOV to handle the surges, would fail the same violent way. I am perplexed as to why these are not encased in a metal enclosure so when they blow (as they should) that are contained.

Post Likes
    Checkpoint: yes it is very insane. We feel like we got burned. 'we are aware of someone can get hurt and for that reason We are wanting to rip them all out, we are calculating the cost now and it's high... To buy them another surge and pay someone to swap out it will hurt us quite badly financially but we still will do as many as we can afford assuming they don't help us.
    we were just hoping to get some help. We been loyal, high volume customers in buying that part. We looked back and we have installing these for well over 5 years. How can someone sell a product and it do this and not have some type of recall where they issue new surge protectors and pay labor to have it changed. I thought that isn't allowed but guess so.

Post Likes
    Sorry didn't mean to sound condescending. That is a pickle you guys are in, and I appreciate the gravity of the situation. If you have that much money invested maybe its time to get a lawyer involved. At least to see what your responsibility's are to the customers. Definitely keep on Supco and get a response from them, if these are burning up and causing damage, and obviously there is a chance of serious damage or bodily harm, Supco should be seriously investigating this issue!

Good luck!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by checkpoint View Post
    Sorry didn't mean to sound condescending. That is a pickle you guys are in, and I appreciate the gravity of the situation. If you have that much money invested maybe its time to get a lawyer involved. At least to see what your responsibility's are to the customers. Definitely keep on Supco and get a response from them, if these are burning up and causing damage, and obviously there is a chance of serious damage or bodily harm, Supco should be seriously investigating this issue!

Good luck!
    Supco is well aware of this situation and has since pulled all of their surge protectors from the marketplace. (Although I found two on the shelf at the supply house this morning) they split their partnership with the manufacturer also. When the two I had burned up, they asked if the machines were still working, if so, the device did its job. I believe their advice now is to mount the device to the metal unit not a wooden house or vinyl siding.
    There are two ways to do things, Right and Again.

Post Likes
    But no 'Official' recall in place which could help the OP out with recouping some costs.

Post Likes
    Mounting to unit will not fix this problem alone. Some of the ones we have had catch fire were in fact mounted to the disconnect which was mounted to the unit. Even that causes fire which and on the Trane units we had causes the plastic around the condenser coil to melt severely (and aluminum spine fins) and the side of the unit burn up severely. it melted the plastic coil guard on 3 of the 4 sides of the coil. shavedneon that's the part that frustrates me is that they are still for sell! That's what I cannot believe. I haven't gotten any call back yet but I'm not done either. I'll post back what i find out. Thanks again to all that posted.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast