Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help choosing a primary meter, fluke vs uei

Post Likes

Need help choosing a primary meter, fluke vs uei

So my fp sc56 is about to get moved to my commercial backpack and be my backup meter.
    The problem, I am very dissatisfied with the amp meter options available currently.
    I don't want a bunch of different meters for different things.

The musts:
    Capacitance, AC amp clamp, volts Ac/dc, auto ranging, not a massive physical size, quick responding readings

Heavily preferred:
    Mv dc, micro amps, backlight, leed storage

Preferred but could do without:
    DC amp clamp ability, though I could buy another DC clamp if needed

Bonus but not required:
    temperature

The only 1 I can find is maybe a fluke 375.
    Not wanting to pay $350 for a meter that doesn't have most of my heavily prefferd features though.
    Imo field piece coulda had a perfect industry meter if they only didn't make it so huge, like 14" tall and 3" deep.
    The uei dl429 may do, I've had a 289 and 389 in the past but they were extremely sluggish to show readings. Similar to what I've heard about the hs36 from field piece, unless they've been updated within the past couple years and are quicker to respond now.
    So does anyone use the fluke 375? How is it?
    Is The uei dl429 any faster than the prior meters?

Post Likes
    Fluke
    I have the data logging version from 2000 (year)
    Use every day
    I repaired / strengthening the lead input assembly myself
    The only weak point

Post Likes
    I use car wax on the display to keep it clear
    It can crap out when very humid. Get a hair drier.

Post Likes
    I used the JB water weld to strengthen the input bd after re-soldering about 5 years ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    I have 2 Fluke 375 meters and I love em. I got it due to DC amps for solar but it works well for AC too. Fluke is hard to beat. Got both my meters on *bay for half price with case almost new. One thing I do not like is the 200k ohms max, not good for some thermistors on Mitsubishi, Daikin, etc.

Post Likes
    Id look at the Amprobe Nav series of meters.

Post Likes
    hmm, never heard of amprobe.
    whats the deal with those?
    are they a decent quality meter?
    seems like they try and pull what fluke does.
    gotta get multiple models to get all the stuff youre wanting.

EDIT:
    so looks like some websites contradict others.
    does the 54 do micro amps or only the 52?
    doesn't look like any of them do millivolts, or at least they don't mention it.
    does the 54?
    Last edited by Mille Racer 69; 08-05-2015 at 11:59 PM.

Post Likes
    Fluke 902...

Post Likes
    the 375 is seemingly a step up from the 902 without temperature function which isn't too important to me, though 375 doesn't have micro amps for flame rectification.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mille Racer 69 View Post
    the 375 is seemingly a step up from the 902 without temperature function which isn't too important to me, though 375 doesn't have micro amps for flame rectification.
    The 189 has everything

Post Likes
    Since you said size was the objection to the Fieldpiece, did you check out the SC440? I got one a couple of months ago, & it works great for me, and it seems to have features you're looking for.

Post Likes
    For me, I will take the Fluke every time. I have a Fluke 324 that I depend on daily, does everything I ask for.

Also carry a 189 but rarely drag it out.

Post Likes
    Fluke 902 does not have a good resistance range. It is not good for checking ECM motor windings.
    Doug

Post Likes
    I bought the Fluke 116/323 Kit from a local supplier, pretty happy with it. Mainly use the T5-600 for basic power testing, it just stays in my tool pouch, if I need to get a little more in depth I break out the other kit which comes with its own carry pouch. Does AC/DC, Micro Amp, temp, cap, etc.

I would only recommend Fluke, I know a lot of other meters are widely used and practical, but Fluke has the best reputation and arguably the best product. When you are basically trusting a meter with your life, compromise isn't a really an option. My .02!

Post Likes
    On the UEi response time if you set the range for what you would expect for a inrush and use the Max feature it will capture the high draw even though it might not flash on the screen. The ability to easily connect to the top other manufacturer accessory heads for pressure or whatnot is nice as well and the new meter is wireless with recording/graphing which looks very nice.
    I'm carring a 87v with i200s clamp which hasn't disappointed me yet but might give the new UEi a shot and get pissed the first time it gets wet lol

Post Likes
    I use a Fluke 16 (no longer produced replaced by the 116) and a Fluke T5 600 split jaw ammeter.

Post Likes
    decision has been made.
    I was actually about to get the UEI 429, thankfully they made it a lot quicker that past models and didn't seem sluggish at all.
    for the few brief seconds I was playing with it, it seemed rather on par with the sc56 im replacing.
    however, no lead storage, no dc amps (which I now prefer due to the DC inverter driven motors being produced nowadays)
    my choice was actually suprising to me because the physical specs released by fieldpiece are plainly wrong.
    I chose the sc640.
    has everything I wanted, though it is still a bit bulky compared to my 56, its nowhere near as big as advertised.
    maybe that's the box dimensions advertised???
    most places I found said it was 14", some said 15" long and 3.5" thick.
    the meter itself is only an inch taller than my 56, and maybe 1/2" thicker.
    though noticeably bigger, for having everything else I wanted, I can deal with it.
    If the UEI had DC amp clamp feature added, that woulda swung my choice to it.

Name:  m2.jpg
Views: 816
Size:  44.7 KBName:  m1.jpg
Views: 835
Size:  144.7 KB

Post Likes
    I made the mistake of buying the fluke 324 it is not a good option for hvac work! It only reads upto 4k ohms totally useless. Buy a Uei 389B best meter for the money and it's the only one you will need for hvacr. You will need 2 flukes to replace a uei 389B I asked fluke to get with the times as their competition is getting ahead of them on hvacr meters.

Post Likes
    Anther vote for fieldpiece. If you're a commercial tech it's a must have.

I have the SC680. The clamp great lights up, and swivels so you can hang it easily on a line or pipe and swivel it to face you. It does phase rotation, micro amps for flame sensor, capacitance. It even does non contact volt detection, like a volt stick does.

I use it in Hz mode to check Hall effect sensors. It's backlit, tagged for 1000v, it does EVERYTHING. just buy it, I'm telling you, this thing is amazing

Post Likes
    I can second SC440, got in half a year ago and never looked back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast