Thread: Do I really need a new system?

Post Likes

Do I really need a new system?

My Lexox 5 ton compressor is 3 years old and the Bryant air handler in the attic is 20 years old. My contractor originally said I had a small leak. He filled the system with r22 and dye for a lot of money. 12 days later house is 88 degrees and he's now telling me a large leak. He believes the leak is in the coils because he sees 2 BB sized drops of dye. He says there is some in the pan as well. Because my line set is partially in a sheet rock wall he wants to replace the air handler and line set. But for just a few dollars more he'll change the compressor as well to upgrade to the newer gas. This is a big expense I really do not need now. He advised that coils for a 20 year old Bryant air handler are no longer available so he can't just change them. Does all of this ring true? Are there better options? Thanks in advance for any help.

Post Likes
    You can change out the indoor unit/air handler, and still use the same line set and outdoor unit.

Even if the coil is still made. Carrier would charge more for the coil then for a whole new air handler.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the reply.

Post Likes
    The contractor I'm using says he can't find the leak.

Post Likes
    I took a picture of the line going into the air handler

Post Likes
    to me looks like a leak. could someone with a trained eye confirm this is what a leak would look like. Thanks

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Leaks are able to be found. In 14 years I've never given up and not found one. I use an electronic detector and leak detector fluid. Not a big fan of dye.
    That said, it probably was not a wise choice to stick a new outdoor unit on a 20 year old air handler. Things like this happen and the whole situation becomes a big mess.
    To go to R410A, the outdoor unit will need to be changed, and the indoor coil will need to be replaced with one that is R410 approved. Many new evaporators are rated for both R22 and R410, the metering device just needs changed as it's refrigerant specific.
    The lineset can be reused providing it is not soft soldered and is the appropriate size, run correctly and is free of leaks. It can easily be leak checked without opening the wall. A flush of an existing lineset is wise before reusing it.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    Leaks will usually have an oily film around them. Some dish detergent mixed with water will bubble up on a leak, if there's refrigerant in the system.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    You don't have to replace that fairly new R-22 condenser; DuPont has a good EPA clean replacement for R-22; (M099) R438A; the existing R-22 Oil is also compatible.

Also, it's Not high dollar refrigerant like R-22; pressures are similar & Not so high like R-410A. I like the lower R-438A/R-22 pressures.

They will need to use a metering device specific to R-438A; the R-22 metering devices can be used just use the same superheat & subcooling temps. You will want an all AL coil.

They could just recover the remaining R-22; have it reclaimed & use it on another system with a very slow leak.

I'd want a TXV; the cause of so many TXV failures was a rust inhibitor that Copeland put in its compressors it gummed-up on the TXV needle & they stuck closed or nearly closed.
    You would have thought they could have found an additive to prevent the gumming-up of those TXVs. - Good Luck...
    Last edited by udarrell; 07-31-2015 at 12:24 PM.

11. Likes Frank Lambardo, rcstl liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Thanks! you guys are the best. How else is a homeowner with no knowledge of this stuff supposed to make an intelligent decision. Really appreciate your time and input.

13. Likes Cory Wells, PetGoneBad liked this post.
    Post Likes
    When you say compressor I'm thinking you are talking about the condenser???? Or are you talking about a 3 year old compressor in an older condenser???? Ask the installer to explain to you about the Mfg. warranty's. May make a difference on your options. Your guy did not pin point the leak, you may have more than one leak!!! Get installer's opinions on a more THOROUGH Leak check/test

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in