Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Likes
    Talked with chiltrix and looked at all their material. A very neat idea comes in a 2 ton and a 3.5 ton unit, all ahus r the same but have different brackets for their configuration. All ahu run a wild coil with a valve as a option both use the same pump! 3.5 need another pump in series and expansion tank. They only had one 3.5 unit in stock and were not getting any more in. So bottom line I would have to run two 2 ton units, 7 ahu's and pump. With a company that is mainly into solar and not having the backing of a large brand I decided to back away from this interesting equipment.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by servicefitter View Post
    Talked with chiltrix and looked at all their material. A very neat idea comes in a 2 ton and a 3.5 ton unit, all ahus r the same but have different brackets for their configuration. All ahu run a wild coil with a valve as a option both use the same pump! 3.5 need another pump in series and expansion tank. They only had one 3.5 unit in stock and were not getting any more in. So bottom line I would have to run two 2 ton units, 7 ahu's and pump. With a company that is mainly into solar and not having the backing of a large brand I decided to back away from this interesting equipment.
    OK, ServiceFitter, thanks for the update!

Post Likes
    Why not consider running (powering) a 110/115 "mini-split" system(s) from a PV solar arrangement..? I wasn't aware that manufacturers are producing units in this range, but apparently they are. In my mind, this opens up a few more/new options for a "green" approach to, what I guess we can now start calling conventional, active heating and cooling systems.

Post Likes
    When pv solar systems get more efficient and battery storage is cheaper and maybe if I would win a big lottery I might think about it. The sun doesn't shine in Missouri enough, geo thermo is the best bang for the buck.

Post Likes
    People in Louisville and Lexington don't seem to be having the same issues, and you guys are basically on the same longitude... http://www.ases.org/solar-tour/

I can understand the plight for geothermal if you're drilling down several hundred feet and strictly utilizing a non-mechanical thermal energy conversion, but if you're just substituting some shallow trench loops or some loops in a pond to provide the condensing cycle in a mechanical DX system... that's an awful lot of work, cost, and upkeep to achieve your goal...and all those resources you're dedicating can really only ever be utilized for that specific application.

I'm not trying to pee on your parade here, I'm just tossing out my own thoughts...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by servicefitter View Post
    I called them too... I think they have some very interesting products, and I plan to learn a whole lot more about them myself. I don't really think your statement about them not being a "large brand" should really have that much bearing on how you view their products. These days, brand names don't necessarily amount to much at all... except maybe higher prices.

Post Likes
    Looks like I can't post links until I have 3 total posts. Here goes a "decoy" post to see if this will bump up my count.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jbeckham View Post
    Why not consider running (powering) a 110/115 "mini-split" system(s) from a PV solar arrangement..? I wasn't aware that manufacturers are producing units in this range, but apparently they are. In my mind, this opens up a few more/new options for a "green" approach to, what I guess we can now start calling conventional, active heating and cooling systems.
    JBeckham, funny you should mention that - a quick forum search over at Green Building Advisor (sorry, still will not allow me to post links) will show that folks advise just that - to take the difference in up front cost between the geothermal and mini-split and invest it instead in PV panels.

I originally learned about ChilTrix via a thread I started on GBA - in case you are interested. Title is "Mini-split + heat pump water heater OR geothermal cool/heat + water heating?" (again, sorry, system won't allow me to post links for whatever reason.)

Please keep us updated on what you find re: ChillTrix - I am just learning about HVAC systems and could use all the technical mentoring I can get!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ges74 View Post
    JBeckham, funny you should mention that - a quick forum search over at Green Building Advisor (sorry, still will not allow me to post links) will show that folks advise just that - to take the difference in up front cost between the geothermal and mini-split and invest it instead in PV panels.

I originally learned about ChilTrix via a thread I started on GBA - in case you are interested. Title is "Mini-split + heat pump water heater OR geothermal cool/heat + water heating?" (again, sorry, system won't allow me to post links for whatever reason.)

Please keep us updated on what you find re: ChillTrix - I am just learning about HVAC systems and could use all the technical mentoring I can get!
    I'll have to check that forum out and see what people are saying there. I've only recently become motivated to start looking at solar, but I get more interested in it each and every day.

The ChilTrix system reminds me of what Daikin is (has) been doing in Europe for some time with their Altherma product. I've never installed or even seen an Altherma system in person (there's rumored to be one Altherma installation in my state). I can tell you that the cost differences between a Daikin Altherma vs ChillTrix system are pretty noticeable, and the Altherma system isn't designed or intended to be scalable.

I've been looking for a manufacturer that's producing a reasonably priced, inverter driven hydronic heat pump/chiller application for years...

FWIW, the Wilco USA Inc. sales rep. (parent company of ChillTrix) told me that the HVAC related internals of their AC/DC hybrid and straight DC mini-splits are utilizing Carrier/Toshiba components. I just mention this to further help those people that might still be clinging to a "large brand" mentality. Hopefully, people will start to understand that there are typically less than 5% of any particular manufacturers in any particular industry that are exclusively manufacturing the entirety of their own products... companies have been "re-branding" for so long that we often don't stop to question why or where it's occurring.

Post Likes
    ChilTrix reminds me of Daikin's Altherma product.
    Surprise, surprise, one of the gentlemen in the thread I mentioned spoke of the Altherma as well! http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/...trix-equipment

Post Likes
    Oh, now I'm allowed to post links, hurrah. Here's the original one I mentioned.
    http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/...er-or-geotherm

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ges74 View Post
    Oh, now I'm allowed to post links, hurrah. Here's the original one I mentioned.
    http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/...er-or-geotherm
    Why not buy one of these (http://www.flir.com/flirone/display/?id=69324) and perform your own energy audit(s)? It probably cost the same as an audit (maybe less) and the FLIR will always be available for additional tasks and projects... plus it's just a cool piece of kit.

I don't know why we don't have a mini-split forum here... I know there have been members that have asked for one to be created.

Anyway, to address your question/concerns you posted on the GBA forum, I would advise you to look into a mini-split application for your HVAC renovation project instead of a geothermal application. I don't necessarily have anything against geothermal applications, I just think you're in for an expensive (most likely unpleasant) venture if you're not performing the install and subsequent maintenance yourself... unless there's just a really good (economical) geothermal contractor (with a lot of good references) in the Wilmington area.

I'm still reading up on the ChilTrix, Solar Panels Plus, and hotspot-energy product documentation... but, from my own vantage point as an installing HVAC contractor, I will say their products certainly have my attention...

Don't hesitate to ask if you have any specific questions about your project, my personal email is in my profile and my company is listed on this forums contractor map http://hvac-talk.com/aop/

Post Likes
    Why not buy one of these (http://www.flir.com/flirone/display/?id=69324) and perform your own energy audit(s)?
    Oh, very cool. Alas, even if we had it, my husband is FAR from a do-it-himselfer so we would end up having to get someone to do the patch/repairwork anyway. But good to know that end-user devices exist out there, thank you.

...look into a mini-split application for your HVAC renovation project instead of a geothermal application.
    Yes, that seems like the general consensus.

I'm still reading up on the ChilTrix, Solar Panels Plus, and hotspot-energy product documentation... but, from my own vantage point as an installing HVAC contractor, I will say their products certainly have my attention...
    I found one other post mentioning ChilTrix on this forum - http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....chillers/page2

I also talked to John at ChilTrix/HotSpotEnergy who shared with me the following:
    - Wilco, their parent company, manufactures equipment for various brand name companies.
    - The system is an amalgamation of "best-in-class" components. For example, compressor is Toshiba, valves Demersen? (couldn't catch name), electronics are from Japan, heat exchanger is from Sweden, and variable speed pump is from Germany.
    - Every part is "off the shelf" so servicing should not be difficult. Neither installation nor servicing requires any special certification but experience with chillers would be a plus.
    - 700 units have been deployed in Europe over the past 3 years but when I asked him under what name so I could do more research, he demurred
    - Instead of building an installer network themselves, they are relying on interested end users to do the work for them and "bring" installers to them.

Don't hesitate to ask if you have any specific questions about your project, my personal email is in my profile and my company is listed on this forums contractor map http://hvac-talk.com/aop/
    Thank you very much, JBeckham, I will definitely take you up on it. It would be tremendously helpful to have unbiased yet expert 3rd party perspective on various options. Are you the one in Birmingham?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast