Post Likes

Question Is my Trane system compatible with Trane TCONT900AC43UA / XL900

Thank you for allowing me to post.

I currently have three Trane HVAC systems in my Tampa, Florida home. One upstairs, one downstairs and one in my 900 square foot Florida room. All of my questions relate to the upstairs unit.

Upstairs system:
    Condenser unit - Trane XL 15i - 4TWX5024A1000AA - serial 8301LAY1F
    Air handler - Trane 4TEE3F31B1000AA - serial 83115JB1V
    Tstat - Trane TCONT802AS32DAA

Problem:
    I am having a pretty severe humidity problem upstairs. I have separate, stand alone humidity sensors in two upstairs bedroom indicating relative humidity as high as 78%. I understand many of these sensors are not very accurate, but I can confirm that I can barely breath up there during the day due to so much moisture in the air.

Other facts:
    - Tstat set at 75 degrees during the day
    - home was built in 1964 (still has original wood, single pane windows upstairs)
    - HVAC configuration appears to be terrible. Upstairs has 4 bedrooms, 1 bathroom and a hallway - Tstat is in one of the bedrooms, as is the only intake (which appears to be undersized - 12" x 20" - pretty noisy). No vent jumper from the room that has the Tstat and intake, so if door is closed air is being pulled from under the door (has a decent gap under door).
    - all hardwood floors upstairs
    - I am upgrading Tstats with the goal of adding dehumidification function and potential future use of communication functions.

Questions:
    1 - Does Trane part numbers "TCONT900AC43UA" and "XL900" relate to the same part?
    2 - If the answer to question 1 is "yes", is that Tstat compatible with my existing system
    3 - If the answer to question 1 is "no", are either Tstats compatible? If yes, which should I use with my existing upstairs system.
    4 - Do you have any comments or advice related to my problem or existing system?

Thank you.
    Jim

Post Likes
    You have the wrong stat for your location/climate with high summertime humidity.

Yes to question #1.

I would suggest HW Prestige thermostat and have dehumidify on demand set up. Obviously you need to find the source of all this humidity and try to reduce it. Interested in WiFi? Any other goals other than a thermostat that will help reduce humidity?

IMO

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerdunes View Post
    You have the wrong stat for your location/climate with high summertime humidity.

Yes to question #1.

I would suggest HW Prestige thermostat and have dehumidify on demand set up. Obviously you need to find the source of all this humidity and try to reduce it. Interested in WiFi? Any other goals other than a thermostat that will help reduce humidity?

IMO
    Thank you. I had the same contractor install all three system and he was supposed to be installing the TCONT803 for all three units. I caught him at the last minute on the third unit installed (the Florida room) and got the 803. No noticeable issues with humidity in this room. I read somewhere, however, that the 803 is not a "true" dehumidifier. Is that accurate?

I have been reading up on home automation and the associated plethora of options. I've made no decision in this area, but know I would like to integrate my HVAC when I finally pull the trigger. This makes WiFi desirable. As far as advanced functionality of HVAC units that might be impacted by the thermostat, I have very limited knowledge and could use any insight you might have on the subject.

I'd rather spend a few more dollars today and pick up additional features in the unit than skimp and regret it down the road. I know that I do not want/need a color screen, nor will I try to integrate other functions (i.e., those not directly related to the HVAC - weather reports, alarm system, etc) into the thermostat.

I'll look into the HW Prestige!

Post Likes
    Is this newly installed?
    Those serial numbers don't look right.
    My first guess would be that the unit is too big.
    "Hey Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. - Carl Spackler

Post Likes
    Just checked again, correct serial numbers. Not new, 7/2008 MFR Date.

I made the mistake of shopping by price and not value. There are likely a number of things wrong.

Made an error above. My Florida room is 680 s/f, not 900. He sized a 2.5 ton unit. Intake is tiny so it sounds like a wind tunnel when its on. ... But I digress.

Thank you

Post Likes
    Is the comfort R turned on .
    Go Trump

Post Likes
    How do I check that?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    Is the comfort R turned on .
    I did some research on Comfort R and now see that I'll need a qualified AC technician to look in the control panel and assess whether or not it is set up correctly.

As an aside, I also researched qualified HVAC companies in my area to find someone to assess all three systems in my home in accordance with Manual J, Manual S and Manual D. I'm guessing if someone does this correctly, all problems will be identified.

Post Likes
    The XL 900 stat is communicating which will not work with your system unless you put in a relay kit. You can use the TCONT824 which does not require the relay kit.