Thread: Wireless connection blower to condenser? HELP

Post Likes

Wireless connection blower to condenser? HELP

Good afternoon everyone,

I have an 3 1/2 ton blower unit in my attic (space pac system) installed in my house. Recently the system blower would turn on, but the condenser outside WOULD NOT come on. After further diagnositcs with our HVAC team, they determined that there must be a break in the wire from the attic to the outside condenser (i.e. no power triggering the contactor) (tested with multimeter).

My question - IS THERE A WIRELESS OPTION?

To replace the 18/2 wire from the attic outside would require signficant efforts as it appears this was done at the same time as a major house renovation, so the wire was run under the floor boards, and tied to the coolant piping. I will have to run the wire around the entire house to repair.

Hoping a PRO could let me know if any such part exists!

Post Likes
    NO!!!!
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Yikes, with 4!

I came across this link hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?71769-Broken-control-wire-can-t-replace&p=21016021#post21016021

any thoughts if this solution would work?

Post Likes
    couldn't open your link, but you could install a wireless relay. They aren't cheap, but can be used instead of pulling in new wire

Post Likes
    Our HVAC team that's rich.

Post Likes
    Any good HVAC team should know how to make it a pump down system.

Post Likes
    There is a wireless relay made just for that purpose. Not sold to the public but a dealer can get it.

Post Likes
    Thanks everyone. I did call two HVAC people, one couldn't find out the problem, the tech with the multimeter found the bad wire.

I'll look into this solution, I appreciate everyone's help.

Post Likes
    I found this company!

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, if anyone knows any other products, happy to hear about them.
    http://www.jacksonsystems.com/produc...relay-kit.html

Post Likes
    It might be cheaper to trace back and see where the broken wire is. A lot of times when I run into this it's in the control box outside - usually mice chewing the wires or a careless landscaper weed-whacking the wires.
    "We always fix it right the second time".

All posts are strictly my opinions and not those of my employer. I cannot make statements on behalf of my employer.

All advice posted by me is for educational purposes only, HVAC repairs should only be conducted by trained & qualified people.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dougfamous View Post
    It might be cheaper to trace back and see where the broken wire is. A lot of times when I run into this it's in the control box outside - usually mice chewing the wires or a careless landscaper weed-whacking the wires.

Thanks, I'll try that. I inspected the wires around the unit, looked OK.

There were electrical contractors who were fishing new wire to replace knob and tube in the house, I fear they might have damaged internally somehow.

Post Likes
    If lucky, only one of two of the conductors,is open. In that case, the tech can ground one side of the transformer and complete the circuit through the metal. As stated, wireless pump down works too, but may be cheaper to rerun wire.
    Admittedly, an electrician may be more talented at fishing wires through walls.

I use a fluke tracer and can pretty well tell where the break is in the wall wiring, It has a significant range.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in