Thread: HELP - New HVAC Install Nightmare

Post Likes

HELP - New HVAC Install Nightmare

Sorry for the long post but I seriously need some advice.

Since the middle of April we have been having problems with our HVAC system. Our 10yr old Carrier went down. It was replaced by our Home Warranty Co via one of their service providers (licensed HVAC Company). And the nightmare begins. I am now having to involve a lawyer and will probably sue for more than just replacement of the system. Also considering state attorney general's office for criminal negligence charges.

3000 sq ft house on 3 levels. 3 ton system. Payne LP Gas Furnace, Carrier Evaporator Coil, Goodman Outdoor Condenser. TXV installed (R410 refrigerant) Furnace has 80 as energy rating. Condenser is 13 SEER.

Took service provider 8 trips to finish install, no joke. AC has worked approximately 2 1/2 weeks the entire time. We had to buy 3 portable AC units just to make our house livable and keep our the humidity before we get mold and mildew, and I have my house set to 78 degrees because I do not like living in a refrigerator.

I did pay someone to check this on my own dime. Pressure readings with Condenser running in disconnect - Blue line just under 100 PSI, Red Line at 500+ going slowly down to around 400 PSI. This indicates a flow problem not a low Freon level from what I have been able to find out. Is this correct?

Contacted Manufacturers, since original service provider claims install is correct, and was able to get verbal confirmation from Goodman that Evap Coil and Condenser will never work together because Saturation Levels on the TXV unit are different. Is this correct?

Due to AC problems, I found 2 breaks in our Flume leading from Furnace from the install. This is a deadly situation in the making with possible carbon monoxide poisoning issues if we were to run furnace this winter. Am I wrong?

Also, did a check of entire inside install. Evap Coil is evidently not installed properly because access panel does not seal properly and they taped around access panel to hide it and try to keep air flow in the duct system. Tape around Access Panel and Tape around Duct System keeps coming off when system is working letting all the cold air into utility room and no air to our upper floor where the bedrooms are located. I have a 6 degree temp difference now where with my old system I had only 1.5 degree difference.

An indicator (sorry do not know the name of it) related to the Evap Coil and Freon line coming in has been pulled to the outside of the Evap Coil housing and not where the manufacturer recommends to the inside of the housing. (I did check some specs on my own but I am not an HVAC Pro). This connection is pouring out air from the Evap Coil into the utility room as well which means it is no longer properly sealed.

Also lots of visible condensation on the Evap Coil housing and Freon line coming in.

Do I let Home Warranty Co repair system or do I rip it out, have a service provider of my choice install a new system and seek legal recourse to recoup the expenses? To be honest I am afraid of this system after what I have found and afraid of what I cannot see that may be wrong with the install.

Post Likes
    Cut your loses and pay to have it done right.

What part of the country are you located in?

3. Likes lkapigian liked this post.
    Post Likes
    replaced by our Home Warranty Co
    This is as far as I had to read

5. Likes KatieB liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Some pic's would help us give you advise.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lkapigian View Post
    This is as far as I had to read
    X - 2

Dump the B S Warranty company and hire a real contractor.

BTW we don't and can not assist in any way with law suites

8. Likes lkapigian liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I will post pics once I have downloaded from my phone.

We live in Central Virginia.

We have always had good luck with our Home Warranty Co and the service providers they send out but this HVAC Co is a nightmare or at the very least the tech that did our install. I originally wanted Home Warranty Co to buy us out and we have someone do the install ourselves, my husband made the call to let Home Warranty Co make the arrangements.

I already have a Master Technician with Contractor Status who also has a Bachelor's in Engineering on hold pending my decision that comes highly recommended for a new install. I already have quotes from him for 3 systems with different energy ratings.

Just need some answers to my questions to make my decision, and I am leaning towards having it ripped out.
    1. Is it true that the Goodman Condenser and Carrier Evap Coil will never work together because of the difference in the Manufacturer Saturation Levels relating to the TXV ( one is 48 and the other is 51)?
    2. Are the 2 breaks in the Flume possibly life threatening if we were to run furnace this winter?
    3. Do the pressure readings in the original post indicate a flow problem?

P.S. NOT LOOKING FOR ANY ASSISTANCE WITH LAWSUIT, I ALREADY HAVE ENOUGH INFO ON MY OWN. LOOKING TO MAKE A DETERMINATION BASED ON THE ANSWERS TO THE 3 QUESTIONS ABOVE TO RIP OUT SYSTEM AND INSTALL NEW.

Thanks KatieB

Post Likes
    #1 Can it work, yes........is it right or an AHRI Match No!
    #2 Yes
    #3 Can't really say-- Proper commissioning includes (1) Duct leakage test (2) Air Flow Verification ( including static pressure ) (3) Refrigerant Charge verification If TXV charge to target Sub Cool +- 3 Degrees if Fixed Orifice charge to target super heat +-5 degrees............Gauge readings alone to not tell

Post Likes
    Thank you Ikapigian!

Step 3 was not done at all because I was here the entire time with the Tech. He installed, charged, turned on the system, made sure we had cold air coming out and left on the final day.

Time to rip it out. Isolating all the individual problems with the install will take weeks if not months and by the time we are done there will be a new system anyways as each individual piece is replaced.

12. Likes lkapigian liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by KatieB View Post
    Thank you Ikapigian!

Step 3 was not done at all because I was here the entire time with the Tech. He installed, charged, turned on the system, made sure we had cold air coming out and left on the final day.

Time to rip it out. Isolating all the individual problems with the install will take weeks if not months and by the time we are done there will be a new system anyways as each individual piece is replaced.
    You are wise, it is not worth the frustration- Proud of you and you decision!!

Post Likes
    Another failed home warranty company.
    Surprise surprise.
    Hire a real contractor to make the system operate correctly
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

15. Likes lkapigian liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rider77 View Post

Hire a real contractor to make the system operate correctly
    They sent out a real contractor. An HVAC company with 75+ employees however their specialty is large scale commercial installs for companies like Lockheed Martin, Northrup Grumman etc... They may be a great commercial HVAC company but their Techs are crap at residential installs. My home warranty company has placed them on the do not use list because of what happened with my install.

Post Likes
    Often what happens with warranty companies is they hire the cheapest company available, no matter what their reputation is. The only thing they care about is paying the least amount of money possible.
    Then that company gets sent to your house.
    I'd wonder if that company is hurting for business. I work at a commercial/industrial company and we would turn down any residential warranty company, as we don't need the hassle.
    Rarely do home warranty repairs turn out good.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

18. Likes KatieB liked this post.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in