+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cleaning condensate pipes without applying pressure

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jjacochran View Post
    I use a sludge sucker but a Waterhouse works best just push water up pipe until you get a good head on it and release. Clean water will flow causing a vacuum and pull all kinds of gunk out behind it.
    that's what i used to do, works great

Post Likes
    A self cleaning trap work great too. When you have room to install the trap low, every foot will provide .43 psi from the static head pressure. I have done this on package units installed on adapter curbs that gave me about 4 feet of riser so if it clogged at the trap, the pressure was about 1.75 pounds from the weight of the water and would blow itself out - self cleaning. I would imagine this would work great on a residential application with the unit installed in an attic and the trap at the ground level, 15 feet will give about 6.5 psi

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rmdean View Post
    A self cleaning trap work great too. When you have room to install the trap low, every foot will provide .43 psi from the static head pressure. I have done this on package units installed on adapter curbs that gave me about 4 feet of riser so if it clogged at the trap, the pressure was about 1.75 pounds from the weight of the water and would blow itself out - self cleaning. I would imagine this would work great on a residential application with the unit installed in an attic and the trap at the ground level, 15 feet will give about 6.5 psi
    Until it became double-trapped from laziness of poor drain installation. Dips and sags are prelevant on an attic drain line in my area. Im not sure what it is, but apparently i missed the ammendment in physics class of water flowing downhill...unless it applies to an HVAC system

Post Likes
    Are you guys talking about 636?

Post Likes
    Yeah I do the shop vac ---) plus noise validates I'm working during a tune up

6. Likes samgevas liked this post.
    Post Likes
    How about just installing a union & use nitrogen? No need to over complicate things.

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    But unpressurized nitrogen wouldn't do anything to clear a drain.

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by Employee856 View Post
    How about just installing a union & use nitrogen? No need to over complicate things.
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by glennac View Post
    Unbelievable. Just pour one to two cups of bleach in the drain line at the coil. It will clean out in 5 min on it's own.

Then check the slope and make sure you have a minimum of 1/4" slope all the way to the drain termination to avoid future fungi growth in the pipe stopping it up. Simple. Thank you very much
    well sanitizer tablets in the trap work pretty well for a longer term cleaning agent. They store pretty easily in a medicine bottle and can rattle around without a mess in the tool box.
    Nest is POO!!

Post Likes
    Contractors need to use what they think is best. You are all professionals and are all doing what is best for your customers.
    I can tell you thoigh that when I first came out with the SS1 float switch before any codes nobody wanted it ecause tgey said they would lose service calls. The floT switch saves thousands in water damage and you still get a no cool call. Very hard to introduce anything new as we are all creatures of habit including myself.

Post Likes
    Hot water works too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    White Vinegar Too!!

Post Likes
    I have 3 salad units to clean the drains on Monday told customer to remove everything form the units. C02 and Gallo gun will be used. Freezer on Tue, wrap a piece of bare wire around pan heater and stick one end down the drain. Fingers crossed for that one.
    Dynamite could be an option. (:-

Post Likes
    I used to use a piece of solder wrapped around heatee on refrigerator drains years ago. Always worked!!

Post Likes
    Use PVC stretchers and benders. Do away with all fittings and customer will never have an issue. I cringe when I see p traps made with 90s. I always stretch and bend my PVC no fittings used whatsoever. I'd give someone $.50 if they find a clogged drain on an install I did

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in