Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Barber Coleman 8000

Recently, well about 8 months ago, started work at a institution and they have the 8000 series. I have 2 GCM's. One controls one building and the other controls 4 buildings. Before I took this job I was a res./light commercial HVAC mechanic and commercial refrigeration/Ice machine mechanic.

I have no books on this and from what I hear the system is so old now that there is not any hands on training classes on it. Short of getting TAC Controls out what is the best way to learn that system?

Thats what I liked about my old job, sorry we cant help you, call the control man, but now I dont have that luxury.

Any help?
    What we have here, is a failure to communicate........

Post Likes
    I have limited hands on experience with Network 8000. I can check for some electronic documentation but I do not think I have any. I work for a TAC partner, you may want to contact your TAC rep or TAC branch office. I believe your natural migration would be TAC I/A Series for an upgrade.

The old Invensys / Siebe / Barber Colman Network 8000 had pretty solid hardware. They did have software upgrades for Network 8000.

I work with the other TAC products (Andover, Vista and I/NET) as well as Tridium, Honeywell and Solidyne, so my only experience with Network 8000 was the same as you, which was as an end user 15 years ago.

I think TAC may have stopped factory training which is in Rockford, ILL for Network 8000 because it is considered more of a legacy system, however I would try to contact your local TAC rep or branch office because they may be able to give one on one training at your facility to get you up to speed. I cannot say for sure, I know our company will do this on legacy systems from time to time.

I am pretty sure Network 8000 is still supported (repairs to controllers & boards and software) There may be some other TAC reps that deal with the Invensys line that can add more.

Here are some links that may help you.

http://www.tac.com/Navigate?node=8740

http://lcregistration.tac-americas.c...seListing.aspx

Post Likes
    Manuals for the NETWORK 8000 are still available , if not from TAC there is a supplier who has them available for sale and has them listed on a website , I will post it AGAIN when I get a chance.

Training was being offered by a seperate source now that Rockford is basically closed up was called TBS Technical Building Services.

There is also a company that offers rebuilt as well as new and used ( fully tested boards ) along with complete controllers and a there is a rep who has new NETWORK 8000 devices for sale will post both later .

Rebuilds www.isa-net.com

New / Used AB Controls usa

Manuals http://shop.cappusa.com click on the BARBER COLMAN link on the LH side of the page then go to page 11 of the BC inventory , has the manuals listed. Also sell quite a bit of BC items

Post Likes
    Thanks for the information.
    What we have here, is a failure to communicate........

Post Likes
    Automated Logic offers a direct replacement board for the Microzone. You pull the Microzone card of the its enclosure and put the Webzone card in. To take advantage of the ARC156 bus speeds the Webzone is capable of you may need to upgrade the comm bus wire. But if you choose to use the MS/TP capability of the Webzone you probably would be able to keep the existing bus wire too.

Post Likes

8000 Rep

I have worked for a Barber Colman/Siebe/Invensys/T.A.C. rep for 20 years. I can get you anything you need, parts, manuals, etc. Give me your contact info and I will call you.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by theycallmethefireman View Post
    Recently, well about 8 months ago, started work at a institution and they have the 8000 series. I have 2 GCM's. One controls one building and the other controls 4 buildings. Before I took this job I was a res./light commercial HVAC mechanic and commercial refrigeration/Ice machine mechanic.

I have no books on this and from what I hear the system is so old now that there is not any hands on training classes on it. Short of getting TAC Controls out what is the best way to learn that system?

Thats what I liked about my old job, sorry we cant help you, call the control man, but now I dont have that luxury.

Any help?

I feel your pain, I also inherited Barber Coleman controls with no paper work of any kind around. I've been poking around in XPSI checking things out but need some info for this stuff.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by starr View Post
    I feel your pain, I also inherited Barber Coleman controls with no paper work of any kind around. I've been poking around in XPSI checking things out but need some info for this stuff.
    Same here, 5 buildings all running network 8000. Some with a front end, some not.

I will say this stuff has been bullet proof. Hasn't been maintained in 10 years.

Still functions.

Expect nothing, yet expect the unexpected.
    Press on Regardless, Endeavor to Persevere.

Post Likes
    The old Man contact me so I can see if you have TAC LON software and XSPI for sale.

Post Likes

training

I have been working on network 8000 systems for over 10 years. I have all the software and manuals. If you are looking for training I would be willing to come onsite and train you. Please contact me through the email listed in my profile. I'm and independent consultant for control systems.

Post Likes
    You can learn PSI in about an hour, Programming a GCM 4 hours, programming other 8000 devices another 4 hours. Its pretty simple stuff. You'll be surprised.

Post Likes
    But very hard without the software

Post Likes
    If you get the XPSI/PSI software, request version 4.0 if posible. Earlier versions are available, but don't work particularly well on newer computers, especially when using direct connection to an I/O device (ie. MZ, PEM or bus stat). If tuneling with niagara products, version 3.13 works best in my experience.

Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast