In a kitchen with my head stuck in an oven
    Post Likes

Hobart Legacy HL200 mixer

Our kitchen that's dubbed "the pastry kitchen" managed to break the controls for it in the process of making their delicate confectioneries.

ML-134289. Standard controls with a four speed knob (stir, 1, 2, 3) towards the front and the timer setting to the rear of the control. No menu options.

Another tech researched & ordered the parts.The serial number (that I didn't bring home with me) falls into the SN series stipulating a cover control upgrade to part number 00-913103. Comes with the speed selector switch, potentiometer (for time setting) and the PCB already mounted in a pretty new cover.

Was passed to me to get her going. Plugged the new controls in, but it's all contrary. The timer won't go below 12:30 minutes fully CCW, but peeks at 15 when turned fully CW. HOLD never is an option. What's more...if I turn the speed selector while it's running, the time setting changes. From STIR to 1, the time goes down in set time. From 1 to 2, the time goes UP in set time. At this point, who cares what 2 to 3 does.

Beyond this new cover with controls built in it, all that's left is a relay and the inverter.

Any help is appreciated. I'm thinking a bad inverter. Is there a need to reprogram it? It simply displays the same info (time) as what the control panel LED shows. No literature with the new part. The old and new control panels differ a little. Here's the new panel I snipped from an on-line manual:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ECtofix; 06-18-2015 at 07:58 PM.

"You never know what others don't know." -

If I can't laugh at myself...then I'll laugh at YOU! -

Post Likes
    Worked on an hl-200 with the controls you describe a couple times. AFAIK each time the timer worked from 0-15:00 with ten seconds increments settable. If the timer isn't functioning properly I would suspect the timer board. IIRC the inverter board just drives the motor from an input from the timer board.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the reply. The timer board was brand new, so wasn't considering it as bad.

I've learned a few things since I posted this thread.

I found an old post here from which I D/Led a service manual. Looks like what they call the "timer board" is more like just a user interface board. The time setting potentiometer on the board connects to nothing else on the board and links directly to the inverter. Conversely, the timer board's LED display merely repeats what the inverter displays. Of course, the inverter is buried back there in the mixer's base, so it's display isn't visible unless you remove it and hang it off the back of the unit for observation and testing.

My problem was indirectly related to the inverter. One of the three wires leading from the timer board's potentiometer wasn't making a good connection at the inverter. Without that one connection, it sorta scrambled the signal the inverter needed to work as designed. I got the connection all good again and the mixer is fine now.

Post Likes
    Great catch there, man. Some of our guys would never have even tugged on the wires, much less figure out what spoke to whom, etc.

Sounds like the South Bend range oven I just fixed, brand new- fired once and quit. I went out initally, glow coil module gets power, sends power to the glow coil, it gets red hot, never tries to turn on the double solenoids. Ok, I've got continuity on the coils, gotta be the module.

Order module and solenoids, just in case. They send out a kid. He puts in the module, turns it on, same thing, no gas. He replaces the solenoids, same thing. He gives up. Starts babbling about it needing a ss thermostat.

He shows me the original solenoids at the shop, I tell him I see what happened. Huh? He says. I point to a small melted wire insulation spot, with just a bit of wire shorting, because the factory had oriented the coils to the rear, onto the burner box sheetmetal. The new coils were set towards the side.

Another new module, away she went.

5. Likes ECtofix liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Thanks. In my two day absence, another tech and my supervisor already ordered the inverter. We have three of these HL200s, so I'm sure it will be required at some point.

I'm going to add that little wire harness to the list. Like I said, it's working, but I saw some corrosion on the teeny-tiny pins and green discoloration on the harness connector w/the female pins. Too small to get anything in there to clean those.

FYI regarding Hobart manuals:

Their tech writing department has been quite busy this year. Go to their RESOURCE CENTER on their website. Manuals on some relatively newer stuff (i.e., this mixer, FT900 dish machines and a few others) have newer versions of parts manuals, operator manuals and such. In most cases, they have merged some old with the new to consolidate into one manual.
    For this mixer series, they took their two parts manuals covering differing MLs and consolidated those into a single manual.

Post Likes
    Glad you solved it. I will file that info away as well for future reference if I ever run into one again.

8. Likes ECtofix liked this post.
    Post Likes
    On all HL mixers the timer function is in the motor controller (VFD) If you have a timer issue, it will either be the cable or the 100 dollar VFD.

Good find on the issue

10. Likes ECtofix liked this post.