+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Modified Water Cooled Unit

Post Likes

Modified Water Cooled Unit

I was called to fix a water cooled Package unit in a halfway house for the mentally impaired. when I get there it turns out that the basement where this was located had flooded until the water was about 6-8 inches above the base of the unit, which is the level of the transformer, thus shorting it out. once the transformer was replaced it worked just fine.

How did the flood occur? As you look at the pics you will see that the unit has been modified with another heat exchr, the original highlighted by my flashlight. When the modified it, they took it out of the dondenser water loop that feeds the rest of the building for some reason, and attached it to a garden hose. In picture #2 You can se the hose is Red and runs into the xchr through the Condenser water piping, which is valved off and has a boiler drain installed. it then has a head control, so that the water does not run constantly, but is only on when the unit comes on and then there is the smaller hose running out. How environmentally friendly!!

In pic three you see how the hose is not quite long enough so they stuck it into another one, propped up on a brick so it won't leak. Professional!!!

In pic four it shows the hose wanders a little and drains onto the ground. this finds it's way into a sump which is on the lower left, this is then pumped into the city sewer. Clever!!!

But if the pump fails, you get water in the basement, thus the service call.

Yes I explained the issues with this setup, from A-Z, But could it be one of the patients is running the assylum?? Or at least servicing some of the equipment.
    Last edited by numbawunfela; 07-16-2008 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Pictures in wrong order
    Hmmmm....smells like numbatwo to me.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by numbawunfela View Post
    But could it be one of the patients is running the assylum?? Or at least servicing some of the equipment.
    After years of going into roach infested, cat pee smelling, hire a hack in a second, can I get a discount, why cant you just add freezon customers houses. It is safe to say a few hvac guys could be in the nut house.
    "Here in Carolina We Get-R-Done"

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Hvacman4God View Post
    Hire a hack in a second, can I get a discount, why cant you just add freezon customers.
    VERY well put.

There are times when I am happy to say: 'I am not the tech you are looking for...'

Post Likes
    Here is where you and I differ. I would have gotten one peek at that basement, thought of SAW and booked ass outta there.

Post Likes
    Some days when I feel like I've had a bad day. I just check out some "wall of shames" and I see how much worse someone else has had it. That is pretty bad.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sapper View Post
    Some days when I feel like I've had a bad day. I just check out some "wall of shames" and I see how much worse someone else has had it. That is pretty bad.
    hear, hear

Post Likes

i like to send links to some of these threads, but they are ending up in the archives. This should keep it out of the archives for a while.v

Post Likes
    VERY well put.

There are times when I am happy to say: 'I am not the tech you are looking for...'
    I agree.

Mr. customer, you should call (my competitors ph#)

I am happy to give that out to certain customers......
    Those who dance, appear insane to those who do not hear the music.
    Those who believe, appear ignorant to those who do not know God.

Post Likes
    That reminds me of a halfway house i used to do. Numbawun, youre in my neck of the woods, this wouldnt happen to be by Newark airport would it?

I had a guy there ask me to look at another rooftop unit while we were changing the heat exchanger on another. It was fairly new and kept tripping on high limit. Before i even went up there, i asked "filters clean?" He told me one of their guys just changed them. He even called him on the radio and he repeated it. I went up there, filters plugged to hell.
    Every customer you take for granted today will be someone else's tomorrow.

Post Likes
    But could it be one of the patients is running the assylum?? Or at least servicing some of the equipment.
    Hey its probably a patient who is an idiot savant! he looked at it for 10 min then made it work with the parts available!

Just think of the possibilities here, find the guy hire him cheap, instant gifted tech........
    Philippians 4:13
    I can do all things in him that strengthen me.
    Apostle Paul inspired by GOD.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DLZ Dan View Post
    That reminds me of a halfway house i used to do. Numbawun, youre in my neck of the woods, this wouldnt happen to be by Newark airport would it?
    No it is manhattan, 9th and 37th st if memory serves. I live in jersey but work in manhattan. All those locations were fun to work in. I used to weare knee pads a lot in one location because of the access issues. I remember a drugged out looking crazy lady pointing and laughing at me and my knee pads.

Strange getting mocked by the luny bin residents.

Post Likes
    I had a "resident" tell me that a nurse stole his lollipop and shot him in his stomach.

Another one told me i was FBI

I guess you never know about yourself until you're seen through someone else's eyes..lol
    Every customer you take for granted today will be someone else's tomorrow.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in