+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Remote JACE Reboot

Post Likes

Remote JACE Reboot

A potential client wants to monitor/control a very remote facility. They like Tridium & they want to use
    a JACE to monitor the facility energy status + some other control points. They know that the
    JACE has a 'Engine Watchdog Policy' that has the ability to detect and deal with a 'hung' or 'stalled'
    station (perform a auto reboot and auto start).

But, once in awhile, sometimes 'strange' happens and you can't force the JACE reboot remotely (using the
    Application director) or the remote reboot doesn't solve the problem. Or the VM got 'killed'. Or
    planet Jupiter is square with Uranus - anyway, something 'strange' happens and the only way out is to
    manually power reboot the T-Box. This is what the client is concern about - it just not easy to drive out
    to the remote site and do a power or 'hard' reboot. They want a way to reboot with out going out to the site
    (and they'll pay for it - $$$; got to love those military guys).

We talked about putting in, don't laugh, an analog phone line so you could dial in to a remote modem
    which would control a 'black box' that would power reboot the JACE. Another idea was to put in a backup JACE,
    but then there's the issue of what happens when #2 JACE gets 'hung'?

Another idea: write a utility (System Monitor Service?) that monitors heaps & memory usage to track the trend
    of memory leaks (generate alarms) & to force a reboot based on a schedule (from Niagara-Central).
    But if the VM is dead, it's dead - I'm not the complete Niagara whiz, but no super utility code is going to save
    the day if the VM is killed. Right?

Anybody got any ideas?

Post Likes
    Do a Google search for "WebRelay". There are several different manufacturers of similar products, but that would give you an idea of what is out there....

Post Likes
    I have had a Jace that was so low on heap that I could not maintain a connection with WB or force a reboot from the platform application director, but was able to reboot the Jace using the very unsupported web commands. If you need more infomation on them PM me, not something that should be placed on a public forum.

Kevin

Controls is a lifestyle not a job

Post Likes
    I saw a post on Niagara Central that went into the realm of 'unsupported web commands' - left that idea out -
    trying it keep this thread "GP" rated ;-) But thanks. Good comments so far.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tridiumtech View Post
    A potential client wants to monitor/control a very remote facility. They like Tridium & they want to use
    a JACE to monitor the facility energy status + some other control points. They know that the
    JACE has a 'Engine Watchdog Policy' that has the ability to detect and deal with a 'hung' or 'stalled'
    station (perform a auto reboot and auto start).

But, once in awhile, sometimes 'strange' happens and you can't force the JACE reboot remotely (using the
    Application director) or the remote reboot doesn't solve the problem. Or the VM got 'killed'. Or
    planet Jupiter is square with Uranus - anyway, something 'strange' happens and the only way out is to
    manually power reboot the T-Box. This is what the client is concern about - it just not easy to drive out
    to the remote site and do a power or 'hard' reboot. They want a way to reboot with out going out to the site
    (and they'll pay for it - $$$; got to love those military guys).

We talked about putting in, don't laugh, an analog phone line so you could dial in to a remote modem
    which would control a 'black box' that would power reboot the JACE. Another idea was to put in a backup JACE,
    but then there's the issue of what happens when #2 JACE gets 'hung'?

Another idea: write a utility (System Monitor Service?) that monitors heaps & memory usage to track the trend
    of memory leaks (generate alarms) & to force a reboot based on a schedule (from Niagara-Central).
    But if the VM is dead, it's dead - I'm not the complete Niagara whiz, but no super utility code is going to save
    the day if the VM is killed. Right?

Anybody got any ideas?
    When doing critical system requiring redundant controls, I use the "heatbeat" system. Using another control to simply poll that device at fix time.(usually a hard wired point but network polling works). If this device does not receive a status after x amount of tries, have it open a relay to kill the power to the jace. Thus forcing a reset.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by control$ View Post
    When doing critical system requiring redundant controls, I use the "heatbeat" system. Using another control to simply poll that device at fix time.(usually a hard wired point but network polling works). If this device does not receive a status after x amount of tries, have it open a relay to kill the power to the jace. Thus forcing a reset.
    Yea that is what we do. A delay on make and a delay on break. Have it go out on a network point to another module and if it fails on one or the other, it opens the relay for XX seconds and then waits XX minutes before it tries it again.
    "It's not that I'm smart, it's that I stay with the problem longer”
    Albert Einstein

Post Likes
    I am running into this right now, can someone PM me what to do to possibly reboot via the web?

Quote Originally Posted by klrogers View Post
    I have had a Jace that was so low on heap that I could not maintain a connection with WB or force a reboot from the platform application director, but was able to reboot the Jace using the very unsupported web commands. If you need more infomation on them PM me, not something that should be placed on a public forum.

Kevin

Post Likes
    Can I run something on the station to reboot it? This is not a lock up or unresponsive situation, I just have a need to reboot the station.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxBurn View Post
    Can I run something on the station to reboot it? This is not a lock up or unresponsive situation, I just have a need to reboot the station.
    Right Click on Platform Services/Actions

Post Likes
    Right Click on Platform Services/Actions
    I meant more along the lines can I make some logic to do that, that is triggered by something else.

Post Likes
    I meant more along the lines can I make some logic to do that, that is triggered by something else.
    The SysInfo module in the Ax Community module as a reboot program, that should show you how to write something yourself.

Post Likes
    The SysInfo module in the Ax Community module as a reboot program, that should show you how to write something yourself.
    I don't suppose there is a N4 equivalent?

Post Likes
    I don't suppose there is a N4 equivalent?

There is check out: https://sourceforge.net/projects/niagaraaxcommun/files/

To entry is N4 version

Post Likes
    There is check out: https://sourceforge.net/projects/niagaraaxcommun/files/

To entry is N4 version
    Thanks, that worked.

In fact it worked a little too well, I threw a boolean in and turned it on and it rebooted. Then it rebooted again. Nice.

15. Likes bolt950rider liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Thanks, that worked.

In fact it worked a little too well, I threw a boolean in and turned it on and it rebooted. Then it rebooted again. Nice.
    OneShot would help here right?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mwitt View Post
    OneShot would help here right?
    That's what I ended up doing. I was concerned with not knowing exactly how fast the restart triggers and the oneshot not having time to complete. I guess "fortunately" N4 on a jace 6 is slow. So in practice the oneshot set to a half second does have enough time to complete. But I also had to loop the output around to the boolean input so that it resets the boolean I used to trigger the oneshot. Otherwise it would just trigger the oneshot again on the next boot doing the same boot loop.

On the other hand I got a little practice with restoring backups.

Post Likes
    do you still have record of those unsupported reboot commands?

Post Likes
    if the Jace lost WIFI and connection to the station for example, and I need to reboot it from within the JACE, how do I do that?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in