Post Likes

Confused Two-Stage A/C in South Florida: Questions about Noise and Mold

We live in humid, hot South Florida and have two A/C units that are just about toast.

We've been quoted for a new system (we have a two-story home that's about 10 years old; it has one unit for the upstairs and another for downstairs). The options we've been quoted include humidity control. And, as I've learned from reading these forums for the last hour or so, I understand we need to make sure our existing ductwork is up to snuff. I've also read that a two-stage system is a better choice for us here in South Florida.

Which leads to my questions:

Question #1 is about noise. From what I understand, a two-stage system would run at a lower speed—but for longer. When it's running at the lower speed, is the rumbling of the handler/vents/blowing inside of the house any quieter? I know this sounds like a ridiculous question, but I have a medical condition where I sometimes end up with seizures from the low rumble of the A/C. (Not fun!) When our current one-stage system turns on at full force, I sometimes have problems. When it's between cycles and not running, I do better. So the thought of having the A/C run for longer periods of time has me a wee bit worried. Is the two-stage system substantially quieter? (Again, just referring to the noise inside the house and not outside by the compressor. )

Question #2 is about mold. Our house design has the downstairs handler right next to a large sliding glass door. Lots of issues with condensation. Because of this, we've ended up with black mold in the duct material that's directly above the handler. Every so often we have to clean this material and every few years we have to rip it out and replace it. We've asked our A/C guy to replace the material when we get our new system. Will the humidity control (called Ideal Humidity System by Carrier) help to prevent this in the future? Will the two-stage system help as well? <hoping, hoping, hoping!>

Thanks in advance for your help! This Florida girl appreciates it!

Post Likes
    For anyone who read this post in hopes of a reply, I can report back that the unit—even at high speed—is extremely quiet! I'm actually shocked by how quiet it is. (Both inside and outside.)

I'll report back about the mold once the system has been in place for a longer period.

3. Likes flanders liked this post.