+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is BACnet and Lon being replaced by Brillo and a Weave Protocol via Google's Android?

Post Likes

Is BACnet and Lon being replaced by Brillo and a Weave Protocol via Google's Android?

OK Google/Android just made a nasty "open protocol" automation market place even more confused then it already is.

Anyone want to bet that today's legacy protocols (BACnet, Lo0nieworks, Modbus) will all have to adjust to work with Weave, and
    now we will be flooded by programmers that have absolutely no clue on how to operate a plant,
    let alone understand VAV or VVT sequences of operations.

If you have seen or worked with Brillo or Weave, please chime in, as I would love to hear
    how this is going to be disruptive in a good way.

This brings back memories of the BACnet vs Loonieworks threads, oh what a wonderful time way back then.

Have it it, this otta be good!!!
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit" Aristotle

Remember to "Pay it Forward"; help out the newer generation of techs, remember someone during our career helped us! ("Pay it Forward" was by someone smarter than me!!)

Post Likes
    Are they targeted at more than just home automation? Plus I wonder what'll be the deal with Apples Homekit...
    The DDC system... guilty until proven innocent

Post Likes
    Never heard of it, will have to look into it.

My gut says they have a long ways to go before they get any traction. It may be more like facebook vs google+ than over turning bacnet and the few lon stragglers.
    Propagating the formula. http://www.noagendashow.com/

Post Likes
    I am not concerned with Google chasing the home automation market place, or going after Apple's
    market, or how long it will take to grow legs, as the Home Automation Marketplace will by ugly
    for many years to come.

I am not even concerned with Google; it is the third world designers that will grab this stuff
    and re-purpose it to be able to have a financial market edge in the commercial automation market place,
    by misleading building owners as to how open it is, just like BACnet has done.

Make no mistake, I work with BACnet protocol every day and actually enjoy many of it's
    novel concepts, but unfortunately it ended up being one of the greatest "white" lies ever promulgated
    upon building owners, EVER!!
    (I still even hold out hope that one day the vendor locks will be out lawed, and yes I do dream a bit)

I am just concerned that Google could have a golden opportunity to finally deploy a truly
    Open protocol (with system owner password assigned protection at network and object level, of course)
    that will not be over ridden by the big 10 BAS manufacturers, so that it protects their market space.

Weave could be disruptive by taking focus away from how IoT stuff actually works (like doing a effective job of operating
    the equipment) and redirecting far too much R&D energy on just "interconnecting everything" for a vague purpose
    like, "cool dude, I can see my chiller thru my smart phone!!".
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit" Aristotle

Remember to "Pay it Forward"; help out the newer generation of techs, remember someone during our career helped us! ("Pay it Forward" was by someone smarter than me!!)

Post Likes
    LOL. It even works with Nest!

This google engineer likes Nest smoke alarms so much he ends up ripping down ~$1k worth of them in rage...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=69&v=BpsMkLaEiOY

Too funny. Pretty sure a skeet tosser and some bird shot would fix these pretty nicely.

There seems to be almost no information on it available now, and what is seems to indicate its for simple little useless gadgets like an IoT toaster, not a real plant controller.

Post Likes
    That nest video is about the funniest thing I have seen, about pissed my pants laughing, totally
    makes my case, just funny!!

Good job orion242 for posting the link!!

Post Likes
    Pneumatics are the only truly open protocol. I can't wait till this DDC "craze" blows over.

8. Likes bigguy158, Nuclrchiller liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JCIman View Post
    Pneumatics are the only truly open protocol.
    Too complicated and not global warming friendly.

100% OA, super high IAQ, all natural, open protocol/programming, and inexpensive...

Operable windows.

10. Likes bigguy158, Nuclrchiller liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dracula View Post
    That nest video is about the funniest thing I have seen
    If they said "PC Load Letter" it would have been icing on the cake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QQdNbvSGok

Post Likes
    Bet someone is already working on a Brillo driver for Niagara.

Controls is a lifestyle not a job

Post Likes

Cool

HTML Code:
     far too much R&D energy on just "interconnecting everything" for a vague purpose
    At a job at a pharm R&D factory the JCI PM was overseeing our BMS to JACE commissioning.
    While he was sitting on the 'cardboard box' in the BMS room he was busy with his smartphone -
    actually doing work for his other projects (texting, emailing, etc). Actually, 'high tech' does have
    actual benefits (after seeing that NEST video, you gotta wonder sometimes; yuck)

So wouldn't it be great if the 'cool dudes script kiddies', or whoever, can come up with a nice smartphone
    UI to easily read BMS points. Using the iPod analogy: 'Albums' are like equipment and 'Songs' are like
    points. Just use the 'page slide' we take for granted, like looking up a song or a phone number.

see attached - picture is worth 1K...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Likes
    There are quite a few BACnet applications on the Google Play store.

kontrol out
    "Good" - Jocko
    "Open is as open does." - Forrest Gump
    "Can't we all just get a Lon?" - Garry Jack
    "BACnet: integration or interrogation?" - The Janitor
    "Interoperability? You can't handle interoperability!" - Nathan R. Jessup
    “What’s that? Aaa… open protocols? Don’t talk about…. open protocols? Are you kidding me? Open protocols? I just hope we can hardwire an interface!” - Jim Mora Watch it here!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tridiumtech View Post
    HTML Code:
     far too much R&D energy on just "interconnecting everything" for a vague purpose
    At a job at a pharm R&D factory the JCI PM was overseeing our BMS to JACE commissioning.
    While he was sitting on the 'cardboard box' in the BMS room he was busy with his smartphone -
    actually doing work for his other projects (texting, emailing, etc). Actually, 'high tech' does have
    actual benefits (after seeing that NEST video, you gotta wonder sometimes; yuck)

So wouldn't it be great if the 'cool dudes script kiddies', or whoever, can come up with a nice smartphone
    UI to easily read BMS points. Using the iPod analogy: 'Albums' are like equipment and 'Songs' are like
    points. Just use the 'page slide' we take for granted, like looking up a song or a phone number.

see attached - picture is worth 1K...
    The future is already here....you are describing the new UI in Metasys 7.0, but looks allot better than your PDF screen shot.

Post Likes
    I made that with Photoshop - took a photo of my iPod and did the best - yeah, kind of rough lookin'

Interesting to hear about JCI's new UI. Thanks for the update.

Post Likes
    I made that with Photoshop - took a photo of my iPod and did the best - yeah, kind of rough lookin'

Interesting to hear about JCI's new UI. Thanks for the update.
    The new UI is basically based on spaces (rooms). So a room is linked to equipment that serves it... like a VAV box, then the VAV box is linked to the AHU, and the AHU is linked to the central plant equipment. It's platform independent, HTML 5, and will render good on mobile devices.
    The down side is there are no graphics yet. That supposed to be done later this year. The new UI and the classic UI can both co exist on the same site though.
    I'll hunt around for some screen shots

Post Likes
    A UI based on spaces is of European origin, particularly German, and there is standards describing it thoroughly if one cares to look.

It is apparent now that the North Americans will get to understand what others in the world are accomplishing with actual integration of systems within a building rather than assembling information in a structure of middleware boxes. Systems of severely limited and dedicated nodes with antiquated field bus connected to middleware aggregation devices is already a dinosaur waiting to take its remaining breath. Powerful room (space) controllers are the replacement.

Post Likes
    [
    It's platform independent, HTML 5, and will render good on mobile devices.
    The down side is there are no graphics yet. That supposed to be done later this year.
    That's graphics for a conventional computer screen? Right? Any HVAC graphics on a smart phone would be taken as folly. Now the new smart phone are getting bigger..., but
    stiil. Like Jack Web said in that Dragnet TV show: "Just the facts ma'am". A smart phone UI that shows 'just the points' would be a boon. You could even set up a 'playlist' of your favorites.

Post Likes
    That's graphics for a conventional computer screen? Right? Any HVAC graphics on a smart phone would be taken as folly. Now the new smart phone are getting bigger..., but
    stiil. Like Jack Web said in that Dragnet TV show: "Just the facts ma'am". A smart phone UI that shows 'just the points' would be a boon. You could even set up a 'playlist' of your favorites.
    A well designed HTML5 website with proper responsive design works equally well on a mobile screen as it does on a computer screen. All the layouts and menus are modified on the fly based on the screen size of the client device, and less-important elements can be hidden as part of the "re-flowing" process when the screen size changes. It can be a bit more work to set up when designing the site though.

Post Likes
    Hi,

anyone tried the bacmove bacmove.com apps on the Play Store or iOS ?
    Do you think it is good.

Jude

Post Likes
    I use it on my house network, more of a tool for a tech/programmer than an end user. Works well.

kontrol out
    "Good" - Jocko
    "Open is as open does." - Forrest Gump
    "Can't we all just get a Lon?" - Garry Jack
    "BACnet: integration or interrogation?" - The Janitor
    "Interoperability? You can't handle interoperability!" - Nathan R. Jessup
    “What’s that? Aaa… open protocols? Don’t talk about…. open protocols? Are you kidding me? Open protocols? I just hope we can hardwire an interface!” - Jim Mora Watch it here!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in