+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Walk in freezer defrost

Post Likes

Walk in freezer defrost

I just took over an account with a walk in freezer with terrible snow issues. Customer is aware they have a door sealing problem and they are working in repairing it. In the meantime, this freezer has two evaporators controlled by their own condensing unit. One evaporator for one condenser. Should I try and sync the defrost (electric) so they both defrost simultaneously? Or does that even make a difference? They are both also controlled on their own separate stat and solenoids, working on installing one thermostat to control both solenoids.

Post Likes
    They make a first on first off control for that application I have to find the information.

Where is the F R O S T forming?

Poodle Head Mikey is online now Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    I like the idea of 100% redundancy of operation. Why change them to a single stat?

Defrost shouldn't change the box temperature much if any. Syncing the defrosts will produce no gain and is likely a tough thing to consistently accomplish anyway.

The issue is high internal humidity / air leakage - solve that first. Why go any further until you know where you stand?

PHM
    ---------

Quote Originally Posted by Elizeze View Post
    I just took over an account with a walk in freezer with terrible snow issues. Customer is aware they have a door sealing problem and they are working in repairing it. In the meantime, this freezer has two evaporators controlled by their own condensing unit. One evaporator for one condenser. Should I try and sync the defrost (electric) so they both defrost simultaneously? Or does that even make a difference? They are both also controlled on their own separate stat and solenoids, working on installing one thermostat to control both solenoids.
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    Frost on ceiling and evaporator closest to door. They installed a sliding door themselves and have had problems with door sealing ever since. The idea behind single stat is mainly to remove their existing thermostats: mounted inside evaporator cabinet sensing air temp. They look like A12-700 Thermostats. The terminations and fan delays both work properly also.

Post Likes
    I agree that sealing the box is the first step, but a close second is to install a KE2Therm Evaporator Efficiency Controller. www.ke2therm.com

Every one I've installed has been met with rave reviews from the customer. They save money, improve product quality, and totally eliminate frost.

One of my customers had serious frost problems in his walk in. The box is a pile of sh@! and should be replaced. He didn't have the money to replace the box, so we installed the KE2Therm controller, hoping it would help until he could buy a new box. All frost disappeared within a week and his product no longer sticks together. He also has a noticeable decrease on his utility bill each month.
    If God didn't want us to eat animals... He wouldn't have made them out of MEAT.

Post Likes
    I love KE2. I'll see if customer will go for that. Do you think I would need two controls for both systems or one control for both?

Post Likes
    Probably 2, but I'd call them and ask. Their customer service is second to none.
    If God didn't want us to eat animals... He wouldn't have made them out of MEAT.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by GenesisRefrig View Post
    Probably 2, but I'd call them and ask. Their customer service is second to none.
    Pardon me if this shows up twice, I lost the internet for a moment.

For freezer applications, we suggest KE2 Evaporator Efficiency controllers on each coil,since the needs for defrost will be different for each coil. The controllers can be "bonded" to synchronize defrosts and refrigeration or run independently. If both coils are on a single condensing unit, if one satisfies on temperature of goes into defrost, the compressor is likely to cycle off anyway.
    Part of the icing condition, aside from leaking doors and seams, is due to high coil temperature during defrost with the resultant fogging. The KE2Therm controller has the defrost termination sensor mounting in the fins of the coil so that coil temperature never rises above termination temperature, usually set at 50*F. During defrost the heaters are pulsed slowly to keep coil temperature from rising too quickly, giving a complete and low stress defrost.
    We appreciate your confidence and are always available for questions or other support.
    In an infinite universe, not only are all things possible, all things are necessary

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in