Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Likes

Homemade Digital Gauges

Digital gauges have been around for a while so I didn't really invent them. I designed and coded (a simplified c++) them myself so I hope I am in the right forum.

This is still a work in progress and I only field tested it today. I need to finish the programming to add features and remaining refrigerants. I also need to permanently mount the boards and battery holder.

The gauges were built from scratch and are more of a project than anything and will be my backup gauges in the field. I love my digicools.

They display psig for low and high side and display the saturated temp corresponding to pressure for each refrigerant. I'll add more as the project progresses.

Post Likes
    Nice work! Very cool side project. I see a board and what looks like an Ethernet port on the top of the Otterbox behind the tape - what platform is it? Any plans to use GPIO for other inputs and datalogging?

3. Likes maniak liked this post
    Post Likes
    lol, I had to look up what gpio stood for.

I may or may not add temp sensors and I have thought about adding logging to an sd card. That port is usb on the arduino uno microcontroller.

I have plans to add some cool features that ill show when complete. I took a 3 month introductory C++ class in college like ten years ago and havent touched it since. So, I'm learning as I go

5. Likes mccann liked this post
    Where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
    Post Likes
    Wawawewa
    Is a very nice

Post Likes
    For the Arduino, did you write your own sketch or find something already written? Looks like an interesting project...

Post Likes
    I wrote my own and looked at examples for other things to figure it out.

Post Likes
    Jeez, you kids with all your new jargon and electronic gizmos.

[But seriously, rock on dude. I'm a dinosaur, still using my analogs.]

Post Likes
    What transducers are you using? Mind sharing your arduino sketch?

11. Likes digitalinput liked this post
    Post Likes
    Very cool

Post Likes
    thats cool man , good job ...Always remember as long as you enjoy what you are doing means you are learning . And learning is how you get ahead . Also remember that some people on this forum will shoot you down . But don't listen to them , they are Wiki Smart ( AKA , have no clue what they are taking about but can copy and paste from Wikepedia. ) If you put hard work into something and learn from it , well then its already a success .....

14. Likes BBeerme liked this post
    Post Likes
    Although a bit rough around the edges, that was quite well said.

Many years ago I had to figure out how to calibrate devices using thermocouples for the input. Wasn't really that difficult, I just had to modify a DC power source I built in a high school electronics class. It's been used and abused through the decades, but it still works; and it I still have and use that unit once in awhile these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnpaw View Post
    thats cool man , good job ...Always remember as long as you enjoy what you are doing means you are learning . And learning is how you get ahead . Also remember that some people on this forum will shoot you down . But don't listen to them , they are Wiki Smart ( AKA , have no clue what they are taking about but can copy and paste from Wikepedia. ) If you put hard work into something and learn from it , well then its already a success .....

Post Likes
    rough around the edges is how you have to be my brother......Finish what you started . if you have new ideas , well them do them ! . Just remember " good lawyers are good " . Any idea you have make sure you have a good lawyer before you talk about them ...The only one holding you back is yourself.......... That goes for everyone and everything !!!!

Post Likes
    LOL. There are times that call out to be rough around the edges.

Then there are times that it is in your best interest to polish those rough edges.

Regarding lawyers and ideas, I did not re-invent the wheel. Just boned up on what it took to do specific calibrations. Then got the material together and assembled it. Then pretty much just sat around billing for a bunch of easy money. Those customers were tickled pink to have me just sitting around dialing in their equipment.

Make no mistake, there were times or moments that I had to rack my brain to figure out what was going on. But on the whole, calibrating equipment is more boring than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnpaw View Post
    rough around the edges is how you have to be my brother......Finish what you started . if you have new ideas , well them do them ! . Just remember " good lawyers are good " . Any idea you have make sure you have a good lawyer before you talk about them ...The only one holding you back is yourself.......... That goes for everyone and everything !!!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast