Thread: New homeowner looking for A/C advice

Post Likes

Question New homeowner looking for A/C advice

Hello everyone, about a year ago we purchased a house built in the mid-to-late 1950's.

The house has been updated throughout the years but central air conditioning was never installed. As the heat and humidity is starting to come around, I started calling in HVAC shops to provide a quote for the labor/unit that would be involved installing the A/C.

I've read the forum rules, I'm not going to ask about pricing or how to install it myself but I am stuck on what brand I should consider.

3 install quotes with models:

First A/C installer:
    • RHEEM 14.5 SEER 14AJM 1.5 TON condenser , coil, line set, wiring, disconnect. More expensive
    • RHEEM 13 SEER 13AJN 1.5 TON condenser , coil, line set, wiring, disconnect.

Second installer:
    • Goodman GSX13 unit

Third installer:
    • Goodman GSX 13 seer / 1.5Ton. Package A/C unit. Condenser, Evaporator, Pipping, Insulation and Electrical. (More expensive)
    • GMC Value series. 18000 Btuh / 1.5 tons A/C Package, Condenser, Evaporater, Pipping, Insulation, Electrical and wall brackets.

Now Rheem is a more familiar brand as I've seen it installed on homes over the years, so under my initial thought I presumed it would be a good unit.

I can't find much about the Rheem 13AJN unit online unfortunately.

The Goodman GSX13 looks to be made in the USA, while the Rheem unit seems like it's made in Mexico. From doing google searches, it seems the Goodman GSX13 is more common but has a considerable amount of negative reviews, for the Goodman brand itself.

I am stumped. I know I can bring more guys in for quotes and maybe I should ask what brand they deal with first before they make a trek out.

Out of the units listed above, which would be my safest choice? I like how the Rheem has a 10 year warranty and it seems like the Goodman unit has 5 years + 5 more years once you register.

I am unsure of what to do and would value any opinion given.

Thank you
    Bart

Post Likes
    Which one did a load calc?

Which one showed you the design of what they intend to put in?

What are they proposing for the duct? If its existing duct on the heater....is it big enough for AC, does the heater have enough blower for the ac (probably for a1.5 ton)
    I wish I had a $1.00 for every response I deleted.....

"Decidedly Superior in a twisted pathetic way".....

3. Likes lkapigian liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Consider the whole process first- Who has done or will do Manual J S and D. Who will install as designed, who will do a complete commissioning to ensure the unit is performing as it was designed

We do ACCA 5 Protocol which is Energy Star Standards, cant go wrong there- Attached is that protocol

Any contractor doing all that, the equipment will perform
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beshvac View Post
    Which one did a load calc?

Which one showed you the design of what they intend to put in?

What are they proposing for the duct? If its existing duct on the heater....is it big enough for AC, does the heater have enough blower for the ac (probably for a1.5 ton)

I am not sure what a load calc is, but all 3 installers measured the duct work and briefly talked about how they have to re-work it to install the coil.

Only the last guy wrote this on my bill:

Duct Work.

Job Scope: Supply and install a new plenum with a transition piece to attach to supply duct. $$$ Cost

Post Likes
    What are the labor warranty the Contractors are offering, one company may be giving a better warranty. Would a better labor warranty than another company be important in your decision making? All Goodman units have at a minimum a 10 year manufacture ,unless it's their dry charged R22 units which has a 5 year outdoor unit warranty.

The GMC VSX series has a 10 year warranty, don't believe it has to be matched to a indoor unit to get 10 years. May be wrong thou.

Post Likes
    I'm not sure about the labor warranty. I fired off some emails last night to see if they can clarify it.

Post Likes
    Usually labor warranties are included in the proposal, if they where not chances they where not including one ? To me as a Contractor ,you should get at least a one year labor warranty on new equipment and that should be is in writing. I suppose if they come back with a higher bid/proposal then they added in the labor warranty.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mrrhtuner View Post
    Hello everyone, about a year ago we purchased a house built in the mid-to-late 1950's.

The house has been updated throughout the years but central air conditioning was never installed. As the heat and humidity is starting to come around, I started calling in HVAC shops to provide a quote for the labor/unit that would be involved installing the A/C.

I've read the forum rules, I'm not going to ask about pricing or how to install it myself but I am stuck on what brand I should consider.Thank you
    Bart
    Are just looking for traditional indoor temperature control provided by the a/c or are interested maintain low %RH throughout the grass growing season also?
    If you want control mold growing high indoor %RH, include a small whole house dehumidifier. As you read the post of the home owner that are moving on to the complete control of the indoor conditons, a/c conditioners respond to t-stats temperature settings. As many are reporting we are getting high outdoor dew points with any sensible cooling load already.
    With a whole house dehu, set the desire %RH and leave the a/c off until the home feels warm. Saves a lot of electricity, makes the home much more comfortable, and avoids mold/dust mite. This means a healthier, allergen free home
    Keep us posted on what you decide and how it works.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Post Likes
    Well we have eliminated the last contractor, mainly due to lack of reputation and initial meeting.

So now we are stuck with the Rheem 13AJN and the Goodman GSX13. I am leaning more towards Goodman due to it being made in the USA and seems more common then the 13 AJN series. I can only find brochures for the Rheem 13AJN series and not much reviews at all.

Having another contractor today and tomorrow to give quotes again :-)

Post Likes
    Rheem is made in Fort Smith ,Arkansas
    Goodman Fayetteville ,Tennessee /moving to Houston,Texas
    Both are well know brands, I would be more inclined to ask, which will be installed properly..
    'Life begins with the journey each day'

12. Likes mrrhtuner liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by aircooled53 View Post
    Rheem is made in Fort Smith ,Arkansas
    Goodman Fayetteville ,Tennessee /moving to Houston,Texas
    Both are well know brands, I would be more inclined to ask, which will be installed properly..

Aircooled,

Both installers/contractors are reputable in my city. The first one was recommended by my excellent electrical. The second one was recommended to my by a friend. The second installer has been a part of BBB much longer (not that it matters) but it's nice to know they have been around.

My opinion on who will install it properly is obviously limited but I do trust both installers. Both came, measured and explained to me the process.

I had a contractor come by last night. He didn't measure anything. He installs Lennox units. He just came, talked about upgrading the furnace because it will fail soon and gave me a quote much higher then I've had so far.

Post Likes
    I would go with Rheem # 2 option 13.Seer if you trust contractor. Just an opinion, work on allot of Goodman.As they control approx.19% of market..
    'Life begins with the journey each day'

Post Likes
    I'd look for something above the minimum efficiency.
    13 SEER is the least efficient equipment you can buy.

also, not being familiar with package units...has anyone
    quoted you prices on a heat pump?
    much more affordable to heat when all electric with
    hp than electric strip heat.
    if humidity is an issue, variable speed air handler will
    help to address the issues.

btw...the average house has 30% duct loss.
    mastic seal of ducts would be to your benefit.

best of luck.
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in