Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

HVAC career, where do I start????

My wife and I just had our first baby girl 4 months ago, best feeling in the world to be a dad! I am thinking about going back to school and I am really interested in the HVAC industry, but i'm not quite sure which direction to go. Some programs are offered at the local community college, a 2 year associate's HVAC program, some offer summer certification classes, and I have read that there are also apprentice types of job to get your foot in the door. Which direction would be the best route to take? PLEASE HELP!!! THANKS!!!

Post Likes
    You could contact a local union and see about joining an apprenticeship program. Or sign up for a night school program and try and get a entry level job during the day.
    Before you spend any $$$ and time, is this really something your interested in? It can be very hot, very cold, frustrating, and you need to have thick skin. Are you the type of person who likes to take things apart and see how they work?

3. Likes Texan_Roman36, buttwheat liked this post
    Post Likes
    I grew up in Dover, NJ and have been living here in Houston, TX for the past 15 years, I've had the best of both worlds when it comes to weather, I don't think the drastic temperatures would be an issue, I also deal with difficult customers all day in my current job, which has really helped me to be patient and handle difficult situations both mentally and physically, and I do love assembling and disassembling things! Also, that is very true, before I spend any $$$ I want to make sure it is a good field in my area to make a good living and provide for my family. I have gotten an Associate's degree in the past and I don't even use that degree now, which was a waste of money!!

Post Likes
    Well on a personal level, I've been in the field for service for 14 years.
    I do all commercial/industrial work, and overtime isn't bad.
    At this rate of pay I can afford to have the wife be a stay at home mom with the kids and still live very comfterably.
    I wouldn't really want to do anything else for a living. I actually like what I do

6. Likes Texan_Roman36 liked this post
    Post Likes
    That is very promising, and that would the ideal thing, to like what you do and to get paid for doing what you like! If you don't mind me asking, which way did you take? School or the apprenticeship? I'm leaning towards going the the community college and doing the program since I've already taken the basic classes in the past. Do you know anyone here in the Houston area, that is also doing really well in the HVAC industry?

Post Likes
    I worked in a co-op job during high school at a retirement home. After that the hvac contractor that served the home hired me and I went to night school. After 8 years there I made a few moves and wound up where I am now, doing on the road service as I've almost always done.

9. Likes Texan_Roman36 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Mr. Rider77

I also plan to take the community college certification route. Being a rookie in this business could you explain what you mean by (road service)? I mean do you work for yourself or are you with a company? My goal is to be trained by an experienced vet and start my own business down the line.

Post Likes
    Mr. Rider77

I also plan to take the community college certification route. Being a rookie in this business could you explain what you mean by (road service)? I mean do you work for yourself or are you with a company? My goal is to be trained by an experienced vet and start my own business down the line.

Post Likes
    As Rider said try your local UA local. Why not get paid well while you learn.
    UA Proud

"Phfft! Facts. You can use them to prove anything." Homer Simpson

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by B.A.Hayes57 View Post
    Mr. Rider77

I've always been with companies.
    On the road service, as in you have a service vehicle that you drive from call to call. As opposed to an in house tech at a factory or apartment complex.
    Get some experiance before you venture out alone. A business is hard enough to run without having to learn the trade too

Post Likes
    Agreed Sir

No rush to crash and burn on my part

Post Likes
    It's June in Houston go get a job, get into the attic learn and make money. No time for school you got a kid, read a book and ask questions till they get annoying.

Post Likes
    My advice would follow Mr. Rider77's advice, even though I can't help but to snicker as I type the "Mr" part...

Seriously, go visit the pipe fitter's and sheet metal worker's apprenticeship offices.

On a related note, can we get his green badges to read "That's MISTER Rider77 to you!"?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast