Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ozone Removal

Post Likes
    Thanks much and I'm saving the site you suggested and will check it out a little later. As for contacting IQ Air, so many have already done that and the best they got was a new filter, some 3 times, but still experienced the same problem. Since I've had the unit for 3 years but rarely used it (long story why) I was planning just to toss it. I'd be willing to ship to anyone at no cost if they paid the shipping costs but other than that I'd be afraid to make the situation worse with more of the same. Humidity does make it much worse since at night after I've used an outside fan for hours the odor is almost gone. The fan is turned off while I'm sleeping but I leave the door open for fresh air. By mid-morning, the odor starts to reappear. I believe I can cut back on the scent with either a humidifier. The IQ carbon filter after days in the strong sun still has that smell. I do have a high-grade MERV 13 filter on my central air but that is of no help. I'm not as stressed because either I'm getting used to the fact it could take a while or I'm getting used to living with it but still trying various things. Yesterday I tested Hydrogen Peroxide in an unseen section of my closet, twice, and no discoloration. I just might give that a try. Also since my new Coway air purifier has the blue light on (means pure air is present) I'm not as worried about lung problems. This is a great website and I'm glad I found you. You guys are very generous with your time and knowledge. Thank You very much

Post Likes
    Just a couple of thoughts to wrap up.
    1. I don't think your issue is ozone. There is no way the IQ Air can generate ozone.

2. The Coway device Blue Light is measuring Particulates, not VOCs. These are two very different animals. Particulates can be very low and you can still have high VOCs and visa versa.

3. My best guess is that the IQ Air carbon filter is saturated and is releasing VOCs. Carbon can become saturated even if it hasn't been turned on for 3 years.

4. I'm tempted to take the IQ Air off your hands. It's a premium machine and probably just needs needs new fitters. I think you should reconsider.

5. If you really want to know what.s going on then Test!. For a couple of hundred bucks Home Air Check will provide a test kit that will be analyzed by a certified lab. Then you will know if you have a VOC problem and what the chemicals are. See - https://homeaircheck.com/products/
    Another high quality lab is Fike Analytical. See https://www.fikeanalytical.com/. Randal Fike is a PHD chemist and will spend time going over your test report.

Post Likes
    Also I would NOT experiment with Hydrogen Peroxide now that I'm sure you do not have an ozone problem.

Post Likes
    First off, thank you for your time again. I've spent even more time and money since our last communication. I would guess at least $600 and 25 hours or more of research, doing various tasks in the bedroom and so on but I now see I reacted too quickly with my purchases before further education. A couple of the products worked on the carpet but as time passed the order returned. If I put my nose to the carpet it has a smell like a smoker’s room. Reading NASA's study pertaining to house plants that purify the air from VOC's, I bought a bundle. I purchased a dehumidifier due in the mail this week but in the meantime using Damp rid containers and coconut charcoal bags around the room. Of course lack of air circulation, heat, and humidly exacerbate the problem but when temp allows I do leave the bedroom door facing outside, open with a strong fan blowing fresh air in. That helps so at least I can fall asleep before the scent returns. I do not keep the air on when sleeping. I have a carbon central air filter coming. I can't tell you all the procedures and products purchased and used due to time plus you have a life. I can say I've realized and learned that nothing will probably work other than replacing the carpet. I can't smell anything with nose against the wall. I've looked into testing, with your help, and will probably do that but not sure how that will help since if it found out anything or not the same results will come of it. In other words I'd have to re-do everything in the room. I'm VERY CLOSE to wasting more money on a $100 carbon filter from IQ because that's where the smell lingers and that's the one of 3 filters inside the unit for odor and gasses. My use of the word "wasting" is because I've read so many reviews where after some changed the filter a couple of times and either the smell returned or the smell was present in that filter when first used which would tell me they were defective.
    My main concern is getting cancer or major health problems other than that I can live with this, at least for a while. QUESTION: Since the odor is not in the air but from the carpet would any filter possibly remove what is ingrained in the carpet. I will call IQ Air (I dread it) and not expected anything free since it’s over the warranty period but ask if they think a filter would remove odor within the carpet. I would ask if they can guarantee it before I buy so I can return if it fails. After the phone call I’ll know if I’m ready to give up the IQ unit and like I said previously, you are still welcome to have it at no charge except the cost of shipping to you. If you live in So Ca We can drive half way between us and I’ll just hand it to you.

Post Likes
    Just a quick response to your questions/comments.
    1. Lastest research on plants show they are not effective in real living environments. Earlier investigations show they might work in special enclosed chambers but this doesn't seem to transfer to real living spaces. I'll dig up a reference if you like.

2. If you have an odor - it's in the air. If you can smell it, it's in the air. The source is likely off gassing from liquid on a surface - in your case that's likely to be your rug. Most VOCs evaporate at temps > 120. So VOCs that we smell are just molecules escaping from the liquid state to a gas. When you take a shot shower water molecules off gas and then condense on cooler surfaces i.e. a mirror. Same things happen with VOCs. What you smell is always a gas that's coming from a surface.
    Increasing the heat will exponentially increase off-gassing. In fact a procedure called a Baking Out has been studied and is effective in reducing VOCs. The idea being that turning up the heat will increase off gassing from the liquids/solids on your surfaces and eventually exhaust the source on your VOCs. Remember the odors will increase initially so you will need to ventilate. If you don't ventilate the gasses will just re-condense on your surfaces.

3. Heavy Carbon >10lbs (with an additive?) should provide significant relief. If your IQ Air has a fresh carbon filter it should provide significant relief.
    I've used Austin Air, Terra Bloom, and most recently Vortex carbon filters/fans for good results.

4. Environklenz manufacturres cleaning products aimed to remove VOCs from surfaces. I don't know how well these work but they have a good reputation. They do pick up the phone and will answer questions.

Curious how this turns out.

Post Likes
    Great information and thanks. Well, another couple of hundred dollars shot to hell. Plants and supplies. I'm now sleeping in an arboretum I read so much on the NASA study and did have the feeling it wouldn't work for me since the plants were gassed in an enclosed environment. I decided to pull out of the closet my old Honeywell True HEPA purifier with a charcoal filter. I stopped using that years ago because I had the same smell coming out of it but never left it on long enough to do damage. I sunned it out and it would still smell. Well since my previous email I turned it on and no smell after an hour of use. I do have an extra filter too. The back door is also open with the outside fan blowing in. It smells the same as it would with the open door and fan alone. If it makes a dent it could take hours. I will call IQ Air tomorrow to discuss buying a filter but if the odor is coming from the carpet wouldn't the unit have to be on forever and new filters purchased regularly? Remember, the same did get on all blankets, pillows and more but after washing they were fine and now they smell again. Almost positive I'll try another $100 on the filter. I read at times various carbon filters can cause this problem and in my case, unlike with other purifiers with the same problem, the smell did not dissipate as it did with the others.

Post Likes
    I just got an idea pertaining to "Baking out". I have a steam cleaner that emits steam at 200 degrees. If your theory is correct this could possibly work but it would require hours of work since I would assume I'd have to keep each area steamed for a long period of time. About 220 sq ft could take a while

Post Likes
    I don't think that's a good idea!!

Post Likes
    Thank you so much for all the education you've given me. I've taken all of it very seriously and checked everything out. At this time, spending over $650 on so many plants and accessories (You were correct and that was a waste of time and money) new air purifier with a carbon filter to remove VOC's, a dehumidifier, and many products for such a problem and still no solution. BTW, Thank you so much for the carbon A/C filter suggestion because although it did not solve my problem it is surprising how fresh the air is that comes out of the a/c. I only wish I learned about this 15years ago when I bought my condo and for at least 8 years or more I could not get rid of the smoke smell from the A/C due to a serious smoker who sold me the place. I didn't notice the smoke smell during the walk-thru since it was hidden with the smell of paint. My question to you is are you in the HVAC business and if so do you work in So California? If not could you suggest either an agency, business, or person where I can get started to handle this problem? I've spent hours on the Internet searching agencies and business and most deal or only mention Mold problems. Not knowing what my problem is I wouldn't want to waste time and money on a major cleaning that temporarily removes the problem only to have it return in a couple of days. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in Advance

Post Likes
    I'm an amateur not a pro.

Suggestions:
    1. HVAC-TALK has a list of vetted Pros - most likely some in your area. Don't know if any would have the expertise in IAQ issues that's your central concern. But you should be able to find folks that can install ventilation systems like a Ultra-Aire or a ERV/HRV system.

2. Check out the - Indoor Air Quality Association http://www.iaqa.org/. They should have folks in your area that have the expertise you need.

3. Check out Indoor Air Nerd. http://indoorairnerd.com/. These guy is the technical director for IAQA and provides phone based consults.

4. I did NOT recommended carbon return air filters. I recommended standalone Heavy carbon filters with dedicated blowers with high cfm output.
    These would be much more effective that light AC carbon filters.
    Here's what I've used and have verified effectiveness:

Vortex filters/Fans https://www.hvacquick.com/products/r...Carbon-Filters
    smallest unit has 30lbs of carbon. Fan and filter purchased separately. Very loud
    total cost ~$320.00

Terra Bloom - Aimed at Marajuana grower market. Made in China but works
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Austin Air
    https://austinair.com/shop/healthmate-plus/

AirPura

4. Consider installing ventilation hardware for outside air intake like UltraAir system. Search for post by Teddy.

Post here before you spend any more money.

Post Likes
    Question: I realize you can't give an absolute definitive reply to this but would it be possible for equipment such as the Vortex to permanently remove the problem instead of a temporary fix? So far I think I've cut the problem in half. Could be the many baking soda and vinegar treatments along with constant strong airflow from a Tornado fan outside facing in. I also started my new dehumidifier but not sure it's doing anything since the RH I set it to never gets close to my setting. I've collected about 2 liters of water in 3 days but the unit was not on all the 72 hours. Being in CA I don't have the humidity problems like Florida or Texas so the room is usually at 65-75%. At this moment the unit registers 73% humidity and it's 51% outside. Could be because I sprayed again recently. Usually, it registers a little less than outside. So what do you think of at least the possibility of the Vortex clearing out the problem for good? Remember, as I stated I know you can't give a definite but maybe know of cases where it worked

Post Likes
    Couple of comments:
    1. Humidity in your room is too high. Should be under <50. VOCs off gas more in a high humidity environment not to mention all the biological issues

2. Bringing in outside air from your fan is probably responsible for most of the improvement you mentioned. What happens when you close windows/doors for a few hours/days?

3. Carbon filters will trap VOCs permanently until temps go up, humidity goes up (which you have) or the filter is saturated. The Vortex product should last for a couple of years.
    BUT - If you have an IQ Air and fresh Carbon filter that should do almost as good if not better, but may not last as long.

Check out http://indoorairnerd.com/. This guy knows his stuff and offers phone consults.

You can always test your air for contents - Home Air Check and Fike Analytical.
    https://www.fikeanalytical.com/
    https://homeaircheck.com/products/

Post Likes
    Thanks again. I'm planning on returning the Dehumidfifier after your comment regarding humidity should be under 50%. When I received it the unit and munual regarding room coverage it was much lower than what was advertised on Amazon and other places that sell this unit. Before using it I questioned this with the seller and his repy was feeble. He said he will have to correct the manual. I feel it's a combinations of things that helped the situation. The many times I left baking soda sit over night on the carpet has removed much. The door open and fresh air blown in most of the day(man,can't wait to see my electric bill) and maybe the carbon filtered air purifier I purchased. To answer your question, with everything in the room off and door closed for hours it's still less than half, if that, than it was when the problem started.This has been a morning till night effort for the last two weeks. I will get a better Dehumidifier and take it from there. I will keep you informed and possibly test the air and contact the person you've been so kind to inform me about. Anyone in need of a bunch of NASA recommended house plants?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast