Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Likes

TXV Crisis with anti rust additve - Whats the straight drop this year?

What is the straight dope on this issue from what you guys see in the field? Some OEMs say relace TXV, failures should not occur 2nd time. Other OEMs say don;t replace, simply use an additive and excercise the TXV.

So I guess with these two scenarios, which one offers the long term reliability?

1.) Replace TXV, and if the anti rust additive is still there, the 2nd valve will fail......

2.) Use additive, which will free the sticking TXV, and keep the additive in solution. However what about 5-10 yrs from now?

Post Likes
    I have been lucky in not having any units like this to deal with, but we just had a climate master water source last month that was just installed and gummed up within hours. The distributor had the injector and magic juice, my partner up in this area put it in. He went back 2 days later and had to reset unit and has been running for about 3 weeks now. It is in a elevator control room for usage and gets run hard basically 24/7.
    #1--I guess it kinda depends on how much additive was put in, and does in eventually get caught in the drier?

#2 That is my concern also, the extended liability that either the manufacture or the brands have yet to say.

I have said it before, i think the way Copeland is not stepping up with more info, and for future concerns we have as techs and end users, is beyond pathetic. Also what happens to the efficiency of the unit, reverse valves, safety controls that could get plugged and not work as designed. I, myself think the approach that has been done so far, is far from being over. I also think, that it is possible this has affected far more compressors than is being said.

Post Likes
    With any "additive" in any fluid, it wears out, depletes, reverts back to a neutral state over time. I am quite concerned. Homeowners don;t even know who copeland is, they just know that brand X__________ is junk, and your reputation is now at risk.

Post Likes
    Well in this case the additive is not going away at least on the pics of the TXVs i have seen. And i would be safe to say the driers are not getting it out either.
    So i would think it is in the system for good. The future of said systems is not known yet. What happens when the one year or 5 year comp warranty is over,Copeland has not addressed that yet.

Post Likes
    I just got in the injector and some magic juice from our American Standard supplier. They also want us to put a lower dose of the stuff in new installs of models with a certain compressor and the right serial number range. Time will tell. Seems to me, none of our units except Rheems had problems though we did sell more of them than our other brands.

Post Likes
    Am i the only one, that thinks this far bigger than the dates we have been given?

7. Likes ACFIXR liked this post
    Post Likes
    We've mainly been working with York on this. York suggests using A/C Renew first, then replacing the TXV. A/C Renew seems to help in most cases, but not all, and who knows the long-term effects. We saw a lot of them over the winter, so we're not quite sure if we're going to see TXVs at the indoor coils gum up too with summer approaching. One of our customers got so fed up we had to replace the whole unit (TXV gummed up, fan motor failed shortly after), thankfully on York's dime, but of course our reputation is at stake. The problem is it's not easy to tell when a TXV is faulty because of a mechanical failure or sludge until you open the system. The only other time I've seen it is on an older Lennox that had a recent compressor replacement.

Post Likes
    It always is.

All I know is,I/WE are sick & tired of getting "bent over" for ALL this type crap from "whoever" Manuf and THEY assume very little liability and it ALWAYS comes back on US!!! But,THEY still want US to "SELL THOSE BOX"S".

FUBAR.

10. Likes buford liked this post
    Post Likes
    ive always been a piston guy. never a problem, unless someone uses very poor brazing practices.

12. Likes ACFIXR liked this post
    Post Likes
    I thought i saw a pic on here with a black oil plug in a piston?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by buford View Post
    I thought i saw a pic on here with a black oil plug in a piston?
    I saw that too

Post Likes
    Next it will be the little tubes on the rev valves.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by salmike View Post
    With any "additive" in any fluid, it wears out, depletes, reverts back to a neutral state over time. I am quite concerned. Homeowners don;t even know who copeland is, they just know that brand X__________ is junk, and your reputation is now at risk.
    That's exactly right

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast