+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tube benders???

Post Likes

Tube benders???

I have the ratchet tube bender from yellow jacket I purchased about 6 years ago. I don't use it often. The 7/8" and sometimes the 3/4" copper tubing curls up on the Inside of the bend. It makes me want to throw this thing as far as I can throw it. I use a 3 in 1 tube bender for 1/4",5/16",3/8" it bends the pipe nice. I'm looking for a reliable bender for 1/2",5/8",3/4",7/8". I kind of want one set of the same brand so once I learn how to bend it's always the same. Different benders you have to add or subtract for the bend. I was looking into a set from imperial m# 260-fha it's pricey but if it's a good tool I do t mind. I mainly do service here n there I swap out condensers/units. Looking for your input thanks

Post Likes
    I have a Yellow Jacket ratchet bender too. On the 7/8" and sometimes 3/4" I have used a little zoom spout on the mandrel and it seems to work.

3. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I just beat the mandrel off of the pipe with whatever is close by. I haven't bought any copper fittings in quite a while, I just use my bender and swaging tool.

5. Likes R600a, dannyp19 liked this post.
    Post Likes

Post Likes
    Do you have the yellow jacket or hilmor??

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyac1 View Post
    Do you have the yellow jacket or hilmor??
    YJ I haven't broke the plastic yet, seems pretty tough. If you go over 90* then it's a pia to get off.

9. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I used to have the Yellow Jacket but replaced it with the Hilmor. The Hilmor works better. The same goes for Hilmor's swager.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.Wayne Gretzky"
    -Michael Scott
    -Flanders

Post Likes
    Imperial benders from 1/2 thru 7/8 ,the individual type.had my set a long time and have a set on all trucks

Post Likes
    The swager looks nice. So far my bander n swager by yellow jacket are holding up but I am curious what else people are using. I also learned the cheapy copper curls up easier. But I'm sure lubrication definitely helps it slide easier

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lytning View Post
    WD 40 helps.
    ^^^ What He said.
    I am an apprentice and I do appreciate advice.

Post Likes
    I bought the swaging tool by Hilmor. It works ok but Iwas very disappointed it doesn't do1/4 inch. That sucks.
    The swager looks nice. So far my bander n swager by yellow jacket are holding up but I am curious what else people are using. I also learned the cheapy copper curls up easier. But I'm sure lubrication definitely helps it slide easier

Post Likes
    That will be nice. I always swage the 1/4" copper by hand with the flaring block and the 1/4" adapter. With my yellow jacket tube expander the lever type doesn't make a deep swage. I Would like for it to sit deeper in the pipe. I never had a leak but I'm just saying. When you do it by hand it makes a better swage it's deeper with less play in the fitting

16. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Use my Master cool for 1/4 swages
    That will be nice. I always swage the 1/4" copper by hand with the flaring block and the 1/4" adapter. With my yellow jacket tube expander the lever type doesn't make a deep swage. I Would like for it to sit deeper in the pipe. I never had a leak but I'm just saying. When you do it by hand it makes a better swage it's deeper with less play in the fitting

Post Likes
    After time the mandrels will build up crap in the groove that will cause the pipe to grab and ripple on the inside of the bend. Using brake or carb cleaner, clean the mandrel. Start making a practice of keeping the mandrel clean and lubricated with refrigerant oil or WD40 as stated. This will allow the tube to properly glide through the mandrel and prevent rippling of the pipe.

Post Likes
    Bottom line ..... cheap copper, find a piece that has a patina finish and see how that bends. When I bought my replacement bender BRAND NEW I tried two different suppliers copper. One bent as it should, the other had the Chinese Alligator Belly.

Post Likes
    Check Hilmor swags set

Post Likes
    Yellow jacket w reversible mandrel

Post Likes
    What would makeit perfect would be a 1/4 inch adapter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario Brother View Post
    Check Hilmor swags set

Post Likes
    Does the hilmor swage tool make a deep swage with the 3/8"? I have the yellow jacket swage tool the lever type I believe it's called. The 3/8" fitting does not make a very deep swage

Post Likes
    If memory serves a bit over 1/2 inch. Plenty deep enough.
    Does the hilmor swage tool make a deep swage with the 3/8"? I have the yellow jacket swage tool the lever type I believe it's called. The 3/8" fitting does not make a very deep swage

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in