Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: $8.13 Tech job

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by heildist View Post
    Come to Myrtle Beach S.C. we are in need of service techs in this area ---

most start out about 15-17 dollars per hour.
    I have one more trick up my sleeve to get into this trade since I'm about at my wit's end. If that doesn't pan out, I think I really will consider moving.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Cool View Post
    I know what you are going through. I live in the St.louis area (Alton, IL) and I have been done with my schooling for over a year and have yet to find a job in the HVAC field. Maybe I should say that I have yet to find a job that I will accept. I was offered a job in hotel maintenance that started out at a whole 9 bucks an hour but I refuse to work for that low of a wage considering that they expected me to drive 40 miles to get there when gas is over 4 dollars a gallon. Hell, for that wage I wouldn't even take it if it was located next door.

Just out of curiosity, what areas are you looking for work and where are you attending school?

I attended school and Southwestern Illinois College (SWIC). Luckily for me, I didn't have to pay for my schooling since I was approved in the WIA program (Workforce Investment Act). If I shelled out 20 grand like you, I would really be pissed.
    wow - that's encouraging. i live in alton and am starting my program next month.
    i didnt leave anything good to do this,though- truck driving.... cant go anywhere from there but up-lol

Post Likes
    at $ 8.13 an hour . how can you buy tools and equipment that the company doesnot provide??

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pilotlight View Post
    at $ 8.13 an hour . how can you buy tools and equipment that the company doesnot provide??
    You can't. That wage is the most ridiculous I have ever heard. Sandwich artists at subway where I live are making 13.50 an hour. At least that is what the giant sign says.

Post Likes
    Hell Id take any job right know my cousin started at 9 dollars an hout back in 96.But the only problem with that is dishwashers make 15$ an hour in calgary.

Post Likes
    Nick you gotta look at the big picture. So what if you make nothing now in the end you will make good money. I became a journeyman at 23 and have made 100k plus since. Last I checked union rate in your area is on par with ours so take what you can get and the money will come. I started at 9.64 an hour and I quit a job where I was making 26. My truck payment was half my income and I even had to move back in with my parents. Little pain for a lot of gain.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mustardman View Post
    Nick you gotta look at the big picture. So what if you make nothing now in the end you will make good money. I became a journeyman at 23 and have made 100k plus since. Last I checked union rate in your area is on par with ours so take what you can get and the money will come. I started at 9.64 an hour and I quit a job where I was making 26. My truck payment was half my income and I even had to move back in with my parents. Little pain for a lot of gain.
    Im not complaining about how much i wanna make this is the second thread that you accused me of being gready.I WANT EXPERIENCE AND THE CHANCE TO GO HOME.

Post Likes
    Hey Nick sorry if I offended you but here it is in black and white. Take any job you can get and get some experience. In our market BC and Alberta you can find something even if it means relocating you may not get paid very much but the end result can be huge. To me watching somebody's house is not a good reason to take care of number 1. Get a job move wherever and get good at what you do and you will be able to go home as you say with a stab le above average income and enjoy the rest of your life doing something you love. If you really are serious about this trade let me know and I can give you someplaces I know are hiring in BC. We just hired a guy out of Edmonton and I am sure I can get you some contacts there. I got in to this trade by spending my days searching for an apprenticeship during the day and working a job nights. Took me 7 months. I cleaned peoples shops and was in there face. The company I work for finally got sick of seeing me every week and gave me a job. If you want it you can have it. Reply to this post if you are SERIOUS and I will give you my phone number or email whatever you want. Nothing comes easy thats any good.

Post Likes
    Hey Nick sorry if I offended you but here it is in black and white. Take any job you can get and get some experience. In our market BC and Alberta you can find something even if it means relocating you may not get paid very much but the end result can be huge. To me watching somebody's house is not a good reason to take care of number 1. Get a job move wherever and get good at what you do and you will be able to go home as you say with a stab le above average income and enjoy the rest of your life doing something you love. If you really are serious about this trade let me know and I can give you someplaces I know are hiring in BC. We just hired a guy out of Edmonton and I am sure I can get you some contacts there. I got in to this trade by spending my days searching for an apprenticeship during the day and working a job nights. Took me 7 months. I cleaned peoples shops and was in there face. The company I work for finally got sick of seeing me every week and gave me a job. If you want it you can have it. Reply to this post if you are SERIOUS and I will give you my phone number or email whatever you want. Nothing comes easy thats any good.
    Sorry this is my fault not yours this makes me sound like im watering the lawn and making sure nobody breaks in im renting her townhouse I'd take whatever job i can.Whatever experience i can get.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bushsm135 View Post
    I am a newbie to the field after being laid off from a high paying job for 15 years. I have no experience and I was just hired on as an HVAC helper at 9.50 an hour, while I continue to go to school for HVAC. But here is the catch I am a single dad and I am paying $350 in daycare for two kids a week so you do the math. I also live in Northern, Md., where the cost of living is a little higher. I had been looking to get on as a helper for a company that does commercial refrigeration, but this company I work for only does residential so I am not sure if that is why the pay is lower. The only journeyman at this place with 10 years experience is at $25 an hour. So I will probably be looking for a second job.
    Join local 602- hell even if you just start as a first year apprentice it's over $16 an hour. Mechanics scale is $36 and some change.

Post Likes
    York

I already went down there but they did not seem interested in helping me. I filled out all the paperwork and the gentleman in charge of helping HVAC techs/helpers took my email and all. He sent me one employer looking for helpers which I applied for but they ended up hiring someone else. So at this point I am pretty much stuck where I am I think, I am would love to find a company looking for a helper in the Frederick, Baltimore, DC area. Right now I am doing residential installs mostly.

Post Likes
    I would rather work at Wall Mart and get the blue vest as opposedto working for 8 an hour. Wall Mart has stock opions

Post Likes
    minimum wage in ontario is $8.75.. so you can work at mcdonalds and make more then this position

Post Likes
    nevermind

Post Likes
    Yeah i'd love to come back to bc I feel like i've screwed up so many times With school and accidents and all that stuff. I feel like i've been black balled in calgary and i have no options but to get out.

Post Likes

Keep your head up

Everyday of experience you gain you become more valuable to the company. Show the company you can make them money.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234