Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: $8.13 Tech job

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by AW62246 View Post
    I am going to school at Vatterott, for the 60 week certificate it's around $22 -23,000, if you want to do the AOS program, you're gonna shell out another $11,000. Don't get me wrong, I'm learning a lot, but when you're signing up they just lead you to believe HVAC jobs are falling out of the sky and on average graduates of their program find starting jobs in the neighborhood of $15/hr. I am section 608 universal certified. I've been looking all over the metro east area, i've sent resume after resume, filled out applications, dropped off resumes. i've pretty much given up on finding an entry level tech/installer job that's gonna pay well enough to pay my bills. I understand I'm probably gonna have to take a pay cut to get in the field, but 8 or 9 bucks an hour, I'll lose my house. Everyone tells you to go to the unions, well one UA union told me not to even bother applying and recommended I go to another UA local, so I did and they told me that there are hundreds of applications, they don't do testing, and the union rep decides whose applications to send to contractors, oh yeah and they don't have a list of union contractors either. so in other words, unless you know somebody screw off. i haven't made it to the tinners union yet, they only take applications 3 hours a month, but at least they still give tests and go based upon a point system. i might actually have a shot with that. good luck with your job hunt.
    Yes the schools do make you believe that jobs are falling from the sky. It seems that every time that I hear a commercial on TV or the radio they always talk about the high demand and high pay of HVAC technicians. But now you know the truth. I even had one instructor tell me that on average only about 25% of the people that are enrolled in school will actually end up getting a job in this field, at least one that they would accept.

I don't know if it is like this everywhere, or just the St.louis area. I know there are at least 5 different schools that teach HVAC in the area. This is way too many students graduating every semester for the job market to handle. This is especially true if you are looking for an entry level job. If you look in the help wanted or any job search engine, just about every job listed wants at least 5 years of experience.

As far as your EPA certification is concerned.... You may as well of gotten it out of a Cracker Jack Box. This alone will not be enough to get you a job. I know, I have had mine for almost 2 years.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cracker View Post
    Sounds like a union company???
    Nope, non-union. I probably wouldn't have applied had it been union after my debacle with IBeW a few years ago.

I was through a smaller hall and was running a job that at the time was the 3rd or 4th largest school project in Ohio, Voice-Data-Video of course, with a ticket that said "Cable Puller" and had three Journeyman Teledata guys under me.

When I complained to the hall, the BA called the owner of my company and I was threatened to be sent packing if I called the hall again. Hall never filed one piece of paperwork because the contractor I worked for employed over half the hall.

I left there a short time later and went back to the non-union job I had before I started with the hall.

I make better pay, have better bene's and negotiate for myself. I am not the only one in our company this way. The company is smaller, only 35-40 employees, but we do a lot of work. We have contracts for the next two years and have just hired two additional techs and are looking for a Control Engineer.

There are good companies out there, just keep looking until you find them. Life is too short to be so unhappy. I learned years ago that if you are unhappy at work, it eventually makes you unhappy at home as well.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Cool View Post
    Yes the schools do make you believe that jobs are falling from the sky. It seems that every time that I hear a commercial on TV or the radio they always talk about the high demand and high pay of HVAC technicians. But now you know the truth. I even had one instructor tell me that on average only about 25% of the people that are enrolled in school will actually end up getting a job in this field, at least one that they would accept.

I don't know if it is like this everywhere, or just the St.louis area. I know there are at least 5 different schools that teach HVAC in the area. This is way too many students graduating every semester for the job market to handle. This is especially true if you are looking for an entry level job. If you look in the help wanted or any job search engine, just about every job listed wants at least 5 years of experience.

As far as your EPA certification is concerned.... You may as well of gotten it out of a Cracker Jack Box. This alone will not be enough to get you a job. I know, I have had mine for almost 2 years.
    I wasn't trying to insinuate that section 608 certification should get me a job, I was just pointing out to another user that suggested I get it, that I already have it. Believe me I know, an idiot can pass that test. I know one that just did. Scary.

Post Likes
    Come to Myrtle Beach S.C. we are in need of service techs in this area ---

most start out about 15-17 dollars per hour.

Post Likes
    Union is the only fair wy to work. Wages here are around 47 an hour for j-man. Plus benny's.
    Local 393

Post Likes
    that may be true, but when you can't seem to get in the union, cause you don't know anybody to get you in and the hall has hundreds of applications in front of yours and half their journeyman on the bench, then what are you supposed to do?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by digital686 View Post
    You're getting the royal shaft or you don't really know what you're doing and they just keep you around because they like you.
    More to a job then your hourly rate. Vacation, Great insurance, 401k, sick days, company truck, free lunchs, etc. most hvac companies cant come close to that. $20/hr is nice but if your paying $1000 a week for a family insurance, its not that great of a deal huh..

20*160= 3200 - 1000 = 2200
    16*160= 2560 -400 =2160

Post Likes
    I just hope I can get a decent wage when I get into it this coming fall!!!!

I just hope it is above or at $10/hr for a 20 year old just coming out of college.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by heildist View Post
    Come to Myrtle Beach S.C. we are in need of service techs in this area ---

most start out about 15-17 dollars per hour.
    I have one more trick up my sleeve to get into this trade since I'm about at my wit's end. If that doesn't pan out, I think I really will consider moving.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Cool View Post
    I know what you are going through. I live in the St.louis area (Alton, IL) and I have been done with my schooling for over a year and have yet to find a job in the HVAC field. Maybe I should say that I have yet to find a job that I will accept. I was offered a job in hotel maintenance that started out at a whole 9 bucks an hour but I refuse to work for that low of a wage considering that they expected me to drive 40 miles to get there when gas is over 4 dollars a gallon. Hell, for that wage I wouldn't even take it if it was located next door.

Just out of curiosity, what areas are you looking for work and where are you attending school?

I attended school and Southwestern Illinois College (SWIC). Luckily for me, I didn't have to pay for my schooling since I was approved in the WIA program (Workforce Investment Act). If I shelled out 20 grand like you, I would really be pissed.
    wow - that's encouraging. i live in alton and am starting my program next month.
    i didnt leave anything good to do this,though- truck driving.... cant go anywhere from there but up-lol

Post Likes
    at $ 8.13 an hour . how can you buy tools and equipment that the company doesnot provide??

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pilotlight View Post
    at $ 8.13 an hour . how can you buy tools and equipment that the company doesnot provide??
    You can't. That wage is the most ridiculous I have ever heard. Sandwich artists at subway where I live are making 13.50 an hour. At least that is what the giant sign says.

Post Likes
    Hell Id take any job right know my cousin started at 9 dollars an hout back in 96.But the only problem with that is dishwashers make 15$ an hour in calgary.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast