Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Likes

Should I be concerned?

I recently had a mini split installed, but don't know if it was installed correctly or not. I'm looking to get feedback on my situation to find out if I am fine with continuing to use it or whether something else needs to be done to correct the situation.
    Here's the story of my recent mini split install. Purchased a DIY 12,000 BTU system with 25' pre-charged lines (inside wall unit, outside unit). Ran the lines and they weren't in the best location (short). Outside unit would have needed to be raised to connect. Contacted AC tech to extend the lines 10'. He came out, cut the quick adapter end off, soldered on ~10' of extra lines and soldered on the quick connect end. Was raining when this work was performed. Connected lines to outside unit. He hooked up his gauges and had me start up the unit. Did some back and forth from the inside to outside unit and detremined it needed refrigerant. He did not have the special key to unlock the cap so he would have to come back later to finish up. Only gauges were hooked up, no vacuum pump was used. Unit was unplugged till his return.
    He returned later in the week with the key. Hooked up gauges and refrigerant bottle this time. Did some back and forth. Inside unit was blowing cold air when set to cold and like warm when set to heat. Job consdiered done.
    Does it seem like all the appropriate steps were done with this install?
    Should I be concerned that the system is not adequately pressurized or charged with refrigerant?
    Should I continue to use the system or risk damage to it?

Post Likes
    So he cut the end off a precharged line, brazed on it and never used a vac pump?
    That's a big no-no.

Post Likes
    Yes. Lines discharged the refrigerant when they were cut. I asked why not the need to vacuum pump and was told not necessary because they are new lines. How is the system pressurized if it was never vacuumed?

Post Likes
    D I Y is D O A
    Quote Originally Posted by samjam View Post
    Yes. Lines discharged the refrigerant when they were cut. I asked why not the need to vacuum pump and was told not necessary because they are new lines. How is the system pressurized if it was never vacuumed?
    DON"T mess with the US
    I thought I had been there and done That.
    ITS ALL ABOUT LEARNIN!
    I thought it would be better by now
    "He who works with his hands is a laborer.
    He who works with his hands & his head is a craftsman.
    He who works with his hands, his head & his heart is an artist."
    ~St. Francis of Assisi

Post Likes
    Why SAM JAM WHY?
    DON"T mess with the US
    I thought I had been there and done That.
    ITS ALL ABOUT LEARNIN!
    I thought it would be better by now
    "He who works with his hands is a laborer.
    He who works with his hands & his head is a craftsman.
    He who works with his hands, his head & his heart is an artist."
    ~St. Francis of Assisi

6. Likes buford liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Great, so the charge was dumped into the air and you now most likely have noncondensibles in the system.
    Did you actually get a warranty with this unit? Many internet purchases don't come with one.
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    Unit did come with a warranty but lines have been extended so don't think it will apply. Are there steps that can be taken to correct this situation? Discharge, evacuate, and recharge?

Post Likes
    At least, it sounds like YOU know it was done wrong.

Post Likes
    I did my research beforehand to at least have an idea of the process but not the specifics. That's what has brought me here now that I'm questioning whether it was done right.

Can it be corrected and how?

Post Likes
    Your units most likely R410A with POE oil. POE loves moisture, and its VERY difficult to get rid of once it gets into the oil.
    As an example, I have a multi head Samsung I did some work on. The installer used soft solder and flux in the system. Just the presence of flux killed both compressors within 2 weeks of startup.
    Moisture and noncondensibles are worse.
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    Yes, contact another co to reclaim the juice and to pump down and weigh in new juice. Better to do it right or what is there now will not last.

Post Likes
    Sorry I have no sympathy for someone that
    Buys there own equ, attempts to install it and screws it up, hires a hack (BTW where did you find him) then comes here and asks
    " can it be saved"?

I hope not you get what you pay for

14. Dislikes PetGoneBad, coldhack disliked this post.
    Post Likes
    Could certainly do without pecmsg's comments. He/she must be perfect at everything. Hope your never in a position to need anyone's help.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast