Post Likes

Network service tool

Is there a better way to find controls beside bus scan. I have a job that has many controls and i believe different buses. How to a locate them without knowing what bus or having to go though every bus number and element to i find them

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyr325 View Post
    Is there a better way to find controls beside bus scan. I have a job that has many controls and i believe different buses. How to a locate them without knowing what bus or having to go though every bus number and element to i find them
    You can do it on a controller by controller basis just to find the sections to do a scan on. If you click "find Element" while connected to a controller that IS NOT on the comm bus you can search for address 0,0 and it will return the actual address. This will allow you to spot check trunks, find the bus number and get an idea of where the address is to then do a more focused scan of that section. You may already know your bridge numbers and this will let you associate bridges to secondary trunks real easy.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mcguire07 View Post
    You can do it on a controller by controller basis just to find the sections to do a scan on. If you click "find Element" while connected to a controller that IS NOT on the comm bus you can search for address 0,0 and it will return the actual address.
    To reiterate mcquire07, the controller must be off the network for the controller to reply it's address when scanned with 0,0. It is rare, but there a few devices that will not reply to 0,0 like older data collect modules.

If you have controllers on different bus's, there must be a device on bus zero like an NDS Bridge, CCN Ethernet, i-Vu Router or i-Vu Link to create the secondary bus. (IE: an i-Vu Router with an address of 0,71 will create a secondary bus of 71.) If you scan 01 to 239 you will find all devices. Then check the device type and scan these secondary bus's from 01 to 239.

Common/typical CCN setup practice is to start the first secondary bus at 71 and work up from there for each additional bus. Just like it is common/typical practice to put the first chiller at 0,91 and work up from there for each additional chiller. It is rare for me to find a job that does not follow this setup, but in my area all subcontractors typically follow Carrier practices.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qui-Gon Jinn (Star Wars Episode 1)
    "The ablilty to speak does not make you intelligent!"

Post Likes
    If you have the search tool and just want to know the address of the controller you are connected to, disconnect the primary comm from the processor. Type in 0/0 in the address box. Hit the upload icon and the tool will locate the device.
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
    -Abraham Lincoln