Page 54 of 55 FirstFirst ... 444474849505152535455 LastLast
    Post Likes
    This song very often pops into my head. And/or; I listen to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9TNXFurt5w

It's called: Someday Never Comes - and Fogarty's words seem ever more poignant to me. In contrast to that portion of the lyrics; my parents stayed together until the end - but they often answered my questions enigmatically with:

Someday you'll understand.

When I was very young I always thought how unsatisfying an answer it was; how unpleasant that one had to always wait for answers and understanding. It didn't seem to make sense - what the hell? - why not just tell me now? Why all the mystery? <g>

It took me some time to realize that they were bullshitting me - they didn't know the answers and took that way of avoiding admitting that they didn't know. I don't fault them very much - they were simple people who came from impoverished backgrounds and families. And, in maybe a left-handed sort of way, it did benefit me in that it created in me an insane interest in knowing and understanding everything.

But with my own children and now grandchildren I always studiously avoid using their method. Instead I tell them everything, even many things they don't ask, whenever the opportunity presents. I've taught my recent grandson lots of things - things that the girls don't even notice or think of. How to drink out of a glass. How to splash in puddles. How to climb up and down stairs. How to crawl even. I realized that he had never Seen anybody crawl. Walking is easier because you can observe it. Crawling; never - no one ever demonstrates it. So I crawled all around with him until he got it. I remember 'seeing' the light go on in his head. I show him a million tiny things that the girls just say oh he will 'get it eventually'. But why should he have to wait?

A negative fallout of my parent's ways was that I really did wait at first. One time when I was married to my first ex-wife I said to her: I feel like we are just sitting around waiting. For 'something'. What are we waiting For exactly? Always waiting for someday and something. I didn't get far with that discussion but I did resolve then to stop waiting and to start doing.

Because Someday really doesn't ever come.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

2. Likes lions_lair liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post

It's called: Someday Never Comes - and Fogarty's words seem ever more poignant to me. In contrast to that portion of the lyrics; my parents stayed together until the end - but they often answered my questions enigmatically with:

When I was very young I always thought how unsatisfying an answer it was; how unpleasant that one had to always wait for answers and understanding. It didn't seem to make sense - what the hell? - why not just tell me now? Why all the mystery? <g>

It took me some time to realize that they were bullshitting me - they didn't know the answers and took that way of avoiding admitting that they didn't know. I don't fault them very much - they were simple people who came from impoverished backgrounds and families. And, in maybe a left-handed sort of way, it did benefit me in that it created in me an insane interest in knowing and understanding everything.

But with my own children and now grandchildren I always studiously avoid using their method. Instead I tell them everything, even many things they don't ask, whenever the opportunity presents. I've taught my recent grandson lots of things - things that the girls don't even notice or think of. How to drink out of a glass. How to splash in puddles. How to climb up and down stairs. How to crawl even. I realized that he had never Seen anybody crawl. Walking is easier because you can observe it. Crawling; never - no one ever demonstrates it. So I crawled all around with him until he got it. I remember 'seeing' the light go on in his head. I show him a million tiny things that the girls just say oh he will 'get it eventually'. But why should he have to wait?

A negative fallout of my parent's ways was that I really did wait at first. One time when I was married to my first ex-wife I said to her: I feel like we are just sitting around waiting. For 'something'. What are we waiting For exactly? Always waiting for someday and something. I didn't get far with that discussion but I did resolve then to stop waiting and to start doing.

Reminds me of something I posted on Facebook a while back. "Yesterday I went to bed excited about tomorrow but when I woke up it was only today"

Post Likes
    A little tune from one of, if not my favorite, movies.

Post Likes
    Nice.

If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

I use 56% silver on everything except steel.

6. Likes lions_lair liked this post
    Post Likes
    Another great freakin' post.

As an aside, I don't remember my parents telling me someday I'd understand. I think they did their very best to explain things to me when I asked questions.

Problem is, try as they might, I really didn't understand. Even to this day, once in awhile, I figure something out from my childhood. Or adolescence. Or whatever.

Maybe that some day will come . . . Maybe I'm already here. Who knows. In one sense, I've given up trying, rather, I just let the answers come to me these days. All I have to do is be smart enough to recognize when one of those answers falls into my lap. LOL

If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

I use 56% silver on everything except steel.

Post Likes
    Turbo Lover by Judas Priest.

For a good laugh, watch the video on youtube....

...sorry, I cant post the link (too new).

Post Likes

Post Likes
    You don't have to take your hat off for this one.

11. Likes Fender60 liked this post
    Post Likes
    A little somethin for you pony car lovers!

13. Likes Fender60 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Kiss this one gooodbye.

15. Likes Fender60 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Unchained melody . . . sorta?

17. Likes Fender60 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Imagine Dragons - It's Time

Post Likes
    Graham Nash

Graham Nash Knew The Beatles Before They Were The Beatles
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hPgzptEMT4

Graham Nash performs "Peggy Sue" by Buddy Holly
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFu_AwiErCs
    Vacuum Technology:
    CRUD = Contamination Resulting in Undesirable Deposits.
    CRAPP = Contamination Resulting in Additional Partial Pressure.

Change your vacuum pump oil now.

Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

Page 54 of 55 FirstFirst ... 444474849505152535455 LastLast