+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Looking for opinion on American Automatrix PUP to Bacnet Gateway

Post Likes

Looking for opinion on American Automatrix PUP to Bacnet Gateway

I've been working on a side project and I'm trying to decide if I should continue working on it and if so in what direction it shall take.

I have designed software that allows a Beaglebone Black or Raspberry Pi to act as a gateway between American Automatix PUP and Bacnet over IP. The software handles all PUP (over rs-485) commands and responses and translates them to Bacnet/IP and vs versa. I've had the system running for months with a couple of test controllers without issues.

The gateway is fully functional, but the interface still needs a lot of work.

I'm trying to decide if I should:
    -Continue working on this project myself and eventually market and sell it.
    -Turn it over to the public domain.
    -Or look for partners to finish the development.

Does anyone think this would have a market?
    Does anyone have any opinions on this at all?

-Tim

2. Likes jrevans liked this post.
    Post Likes

PUP to BACNet

Is this an RPi Image that can be readily installed?

i dont know how prevalent RPi's are in the industry but I'd be interested in seeing how an RPi handles traffic as a bacnet point server

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by timothyvann View Post
    I've been working on a side project and I'm trying to decide if I should continue working on it and if so in what direction it shall take.

I have designed software that allows a Beaglebone Black or Raspberry Pi to act as a gateway between American Automatix PUP and Bacnet over IP. The software handles all PUP (over rs-485) commands and responses and translates them to Bacnet/IP and vs versa. I've had the system running for months with a couple of test controllers without issues.

The gateway is fully functional, but the interface still needs a lot of work.

I'm trying to decide if I should:
    -Continue working on this project myself and eventually market and sell it.
    -Turn it over to the public domain.
    -Or look for partners to finish the development.

Does anyone think this would have a market?
    Does anyone have any opinions on this at all?

-Tim
    Tim, I know how the PUP protocol works. Even made a translator for an RS-485 sniffer which breaks it down to plain English.

But, realistically, consider this.

AAM's own AspectFT system handles PUP and Bacnet (and Modbus) equally well. Other software to translate not required.

Jaces can handle both PUP and BacNet.

So where is your market?
    A site where I stash some stuff that might be interesting to some folks.
    http://cid-0554c074ec47c396.office.l...e.aspx/.Public

Post Likes

PUP to BACnet

Tim:

We should talk. With regard to the target market, there definitely is one. The problem with AspectFT is that it works over both PUP and BACnet/IP so that PUP devices are only visible to the Aspect front end, not other BACnet front ends. I have been looking for a PUP equivalent to the JCI NAE which takes N2 and converts it to BACnet/IP. I have spoken to 2 generations of AAM Corporate personnel about taking this approach and they are definitely not interested.
    The one caution I would offer is legal. You may want to check if such software would violate copyright, patent or other protection. Fieldserver used to offer a PUP BACnet integration driver but withdrew it from the market.
    But if you are interested in pursuing this further, email me at <email removed>.
    Last edited by kontrolphreak; 09-11-2016 at 02:20 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in