Post Likes

Confused Issue with ruptured BPHE on Multistack??

Recently I took over a pre-existing MultiStack MS70X with 5 modules on a 7 story office building. The owner has been having problems with this chiller system ever since it was installed. From the info that was given to me the problems in the beginning sounded like typical start up issues. However starting in October of 2013 every few months a BPHE will rupture. It has been both condenser and evaporator heat exchangers. The installers are at a loss and so is MultiStack as to the cause. At $50k a piece my owner is having conniption fits. We are just now starting to get into the scientific phase of this but I was wondering if anyone has had a modular chiller system ever have these kind of problems?

Post Likes
    Did you ever figure out what was causing your failures

Post Likes
    Water velocity or water pressure if it happened to two different brazen plate heat exchangers.

Either that or they are deadheading an enormous pump and the heat exchanger is taking a beating.
    "If history repeats itself I am so getting a dinosaur"

Post Likes
    Does anyone have one that hasn't had failures?That would be something to study.

Post Likes
    I've got a customer with a MultiStack on well water, out of 12 circuits there are only 3 running, the rest have all had some kind of BPHE problem. MultiStack says there is something in the water that is eating them up, they may be right, I've got a couple of AquaSnaps that have failed on well water also.
    You know your a stud in the bedroom when the girl your raping comes before you and the cops

Post Likes
    Is the bphe the plate and frame? Not familiar with the terminology.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Chaos equals cash$$$

Post Likes
    Maybe Chinese brazing rod.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by fitzyfitta View Post
    Is the bphe the plate and frame? Not familiar with the terminology.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    BPHE = Brazed Plate Heat Exchanger.

Post Likes
    Well guys sorry it took so long to respond but I got laid off from that company and have been busy at the new job.
    However talking with my bud who is still at that site it seems the consensus is that if you do not get factory certified from MULTI-STACK then you will not know how to install their products correctly.

With that being said the install company (who's name rhymes with brain and drain) had no factory certified techs on the original install. They brought in a company who has been factory trained and who has installed over 100 hundred MULTI-STACK systems and they diagnosed the problem with less than .5 hours worth of investigating. Seems that per factory recommendations you should never install this type of system on an open loop condenser. This caused major blockages inside the BPHEs. Which caused the condenser side to fail due to intensive microbial damage. This system had a 1971 BAC flow thru C.T. and did not have any filtration. The loop was only 50 foot in length because this is a building with one main AHU on the roof that serves the whole building. The water treatment people had always had problems with getting the chemical levels stabilized because of the poor condition of the loop. 43 year old tower, 43 year pipe and 43 year old pump. (Motor was replaced in the 90's)

The evap side of the BPHE exchanger that failed was due to a bad board that allowed the compressors to run till the whole thing froze up.

Holy crap I wrote a book.