Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Outside unit (Goodman) not turning off after a heat cycle - help :)

Hello. I have a heat pump system with an air handler in the basement and an outside unit. My initial symptom was that after a heating cycle, the outside unit would not turn off. I had my local HVAC guy come out and he replaced the circuit board and fuse on the inside air handler. He was thinking it was an electrical issue. HVAC guy said the switch on the outside unit that turns it on/off was good. He also said freon levels were good. It worked fine for a couple days and now the same thing is happening....outside unit remains on after a heat cycle. The house is getting heat fine, no issues there, just concerned about the outside unit remaining on.

I followed the thermostat manufacturers directions (Lux) and did a hardware reset on the thermostat.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated...thanks

Post Likes
    If your outdoor unit compressor does stay on after the thermostat is satisfied your indoor blower should shut down , if that is happening that is not a good situation as the indoor coil is the condenser and your head pressure would increase and depending on the breaker size should trip as the pressures rise amperage rise also or if this unit has a high pressure switch it should trip . You do not mention if you run the fan in the ON position to keep the pressures normal. How do you know if the compressor is actually running after the heat satisfy and only the outdoor fan is only running. I would call for service again rather quickly and run emergency heat ,if your t-stat has that feature.
    Last edited by Bazooka Joey; 02-05-2015 at 01:18 PM.

Post Likes
    Call a different HVAC guy. There are only a few simple things that can cause this.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the quick replies to my post. The owner of the HVAC company I use is on his way out.
    I keep the thermostat set to 70 degrees and the fan is set to "auto".
    My thermostat has emergency heat as a feature, but I don't use it. We have a fireplace, so it's an option for heating.

Curious to know that few simple things can cause this?

Thanks again....

Post Likes
    This is not un-common thing however we are forbidden to assist with any DIY repair attempt so we are also forbidden to "attempt" to diagnose a problem. Sorry

Post Likes
    wahoo, this wasn't a DIY repair attempt. If you would have read my post, my HVAC guy was scheduled to visit, and just left my house. Why have this forum if you can't ask questions and get answers?

Post Likes
    The HVAC guy just left my house. It ended up being an issue with the thermostat. There is a switch inside the unit that toggles between "gas" and "electric" for the fan operation. It was set to "gas", but my system is "electric". Once the switch was set to "electric", the system worked perfectly.

Post Likes
    Any one betting that fixed it?

Post Likes
    " The owner of the HVAC company I use is on his way out. ".... saves the day . Guessing the previous tech. may feel bad not acing it .

Post Likes
    I was going to inquire about the stat. this site is for professionals but has a forum for home owners looking for info and non diy repair advice. some diy is allowed but very , very little.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by buford View Post
    Any one betting that fixed it?
    No bet.
    That was NOT one of the simple things that could have caused it. Either the technician did not fix it or he fixed something they screwed up and didn't admit it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarscotty View Post
    The HVAC guy just left my house. It ended up being an issue with the thermostat. There is a switch inside the unit that toggles between "gas" and "electric" for the fan operation. It was set to "gas", but my system is "electric". Once the switch was set to "electric", the system worked perfectly.
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but the switch for the fan has nothing to do with keeping the heat pump on.

In looking at your first post again, why did you mention the thermostat? Was it replaced recently?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kdean1 View Post
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but the switch for the fan has nothing to do with keeping the heat pump on.

In looking at your first post again, why did you mention the thermostat? Was it replaced recently?
    that's what I took from it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast