+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your Favorite HVAC Tool

Post Likes
    i will say my adjustable a frame 22' ladder. i do a ton of commercial work so it is used quite often. lots of different height drop ceilings also..i only need this one to do it all not 2-4 different ones..
    i put on on my 800-1000lb rated adjustable handtruck to roll it around..milwaukee used to make it...there is no damn way im lugging compressors and all recovery equipment through buildings..to get to the roof..
    https://www.wernerco.com/us/products...MTSeries/MT-22
    https://www.harborfreight.com/4-in-1...uck-70027.html

Post Likes
    A trusty Digital pocket themometer that actully fits in your pocket. A LED Mini Mag Light ( always attached to your belt) . Feildpeice SMAN 460 manifold make charging a breeze, and feildpeice JL3 Job Link Charge and Air Kit make troubleshooting so easy since you can see everything going on in a system . also my 18 volt cordless drill( because who is really going to take out 30 5/ 16 screws with a nutdriver?)

Post Likes
    Torque wrench on line set flare nuts and service valve caps.

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    That make me remember that my young son saw me at the dinner table one day and was talking to someone else there - telling a story or something. I overheard him say: "popeye arms" and said:
    What are popeye arms?
    Everyone laughed and said: You know what Popeye looks like - he has those really huge forearms.
    Sure but so what? Who has 'popeye arms' in real life?
    (a chorus You do!
    No I don't - my arms are pretty regular.
    No they're Not - make a fist! You have freakish forearms! <g>

So I tighten all the muscles in my arms and realize that my forearms were kind of big. <g> I had never even thought about it before overhearing the original comment. The after-dinner discussion went on to Why/How my forearms were that way and I slowly rotated my hand and watched and felt how the muscles moved. And suddenly it came to me: I had probably screwed and unscrewed a million screws in my life with my hands. Endless equipment opened up and then buttoned up - all done just using nutdrivers and screwdrivers. <g>

Your comment just made me laugh. <g>

PHM
    -----------

Quote Originally Posted by Melting_in_NOLA View Post
    . . . . . also my 18 volt cordless drill (because who is really going to take out 30 5/ 16 screws with a nutdriver?)
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    How about a Phase/ Rotation checker? Relatively cheap.

Post Likes
    This is gonna make me look like a total hillbilly to most of the guys out there. But my phase checker , if it is not already built into the equipment , is ......

RUN TO THE DISCONNECT and turn it off when the compressor makes that ........ Sound. You know . Reverse rotation sound.
    It is that simple and if you look at some of the technical information , a very similar process is described ( just with out running at the disconnect screaming and waving your arms like the kid from home alone.)

Sent from my S61 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    This is gonna make me look like a total hillbilly to most of the guys out there. But my phase checker , if it is not already built into the equipment , is ......

RUN TO THE DISCONNECT and turn it off when the compressor makes that ........ Sound. You know . Reverse rotation sound.
    It is that simple and if you look at some of the technical information , a very similar process is described ( just with out running at the disconnect screaming and waving your arms like the kid from home alone.)

If you did that with a screw compressor, it would likely be toast before you pulled the disconnect.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sunsurp08 View Post
    How about a Phase/ Rotation checker? Relatively cheap.
    The only reason why I do not own a phase checker , is that the last time I price checked them, they were at least $600 for the most basic model. I'm sure they are cheaper now. I hope .
    Although 90% of the equipment I start these days has one built in, sooooo.....

Post Likes
    The only reason why I do not own a phase checker , is that the last time I price checked them, they were at least $600 for the most basic model. I'm sure they are cheaper now. I hope .
    Although 90% of the equipment I start these days has one built in, sooooo.....

Try $20 - $300.

Used this one since ~1980: Sperry LED Phase Sequence and Open Phase Indicator, Item no. 3592508 |PSI8031 $99.

Equipment meters typically check only the incoming power, not at the compressor leads. Option on scroll chillers and ac, not on most pump starters.
    Cheap insurance tool.

10. Likes ksefan liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Old thread that keeps getting renewed. I enjoyed reading through it and will add in a tool I've found helpful and not yet mentioned. We have a lot of units that are a good 10' above a lowered ceiling and can be impossible to reach from an a-frame ladder. We recently got a telescoping extension ladder that lets us get up to these units without tearing out a big section of ceiling grid.

Post Likes
    My sman 480v gauges by fieldpiece. They are expensive but in my opinion well worth it. Here is a link that shows them.
    https://www.amazon.com/Fieldpiece-Di...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Post Likes
    The pocket screwdriver with Phillip’s and flat blade. With Schrader core removal tool. That is free from SH.

I feel lost with out this on my persons when in the field.

Post Likes
    I have the one made by Klein tools. I love it

Post Likes
    Such an odd question, but my favorite tool is the one that makes women shake.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazza91 View Post
    Such an odd question, but my favorite tool is the one that makes women shake.
    When you hand them the repair bill? lol

Post Likes
    Oscillating multi-tool. M18. Especially for installing mini-splits when I need more than just a round hole for the line set.

Post Likes
    My Favorite Tool Has always Been "My Refer Rat". Here are some that i have acquired, and used over the Years.

B-B
    Attached Images Attached Images  

19. Likes Bazooka Joe liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Any new tool is my favorite until the next one. I just got a laser sheave alignment tool, can’t wait to go check all my new sheaves and see how far off I was.

Post Likes
    I use this tool probably every single day on the job, and many days off the job. I keep it on my keychain with an S clip.

https://smile.amazon.com/NEBO-Rechar...4&sr=8-20&th=1

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    Welcome aboard by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSafety View Post
    I use this tool probably every single day on the job, and many days off the job. I keep it on my keychain with an S clip.

https://smile.amazon.com/NEBO-Rechar...4&sr=8-20&th=1
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in